Arsenal Chants

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Arsenal Chants

Postby Yorkyblue » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:17 pm

Libertine wrote:
SE13 wrote:There were several versions of Hillsborough, most notoriously from ManUre which we were not noted for, the lyrics to which I won't put on here..... In fact I can't ever recall us chanting about that.

We've done some sick ones over the years, certainly against the filth....

and a couple of crackers about Munich.....

probably get arrested for singing any of those old classics these days.

Most of these songs seem left for outside of the game now. More as taunts to wind up other fans around pubs, town centres or streets. I used to hear the odd few singing about munich at Maine Road but never heard a thing at Eastlands. I hear a lot of munich stuff sang on trains as well when a few lads are together traveling to or from games.

I don't even believe that most who sing these chants even mean anything by it apart from to get a reaction. I've been known to have the odd sing here and there and it's not in disrespect, but just for the reaction.

I'm guessing it's all the same there these days as well Libs?
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Briggsy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:23 pm

Does anyone know why we sing 'over land and sees AND LEICESTER' I myself do but how many of you guys do?
Briggsy
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby SE13 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:56 pm

Briggsy wrote:
SE13 wrote:Thinking back through the mists of time, I'm fairly sure we were one of the first teams (if not the first team) to have an individual chant for each player.

We were quite creative up on The North Bank, and a bit of credit has to go to those on The Clock End for reciprocating and on occasion inventing some as well.

I'll start the series with Ian Wright.

The chant as you know it now was similar, but with a single "Wright", so sounded "Ian Wriiiiiiiiiiiiight" to start with, and it evolved quite by accident. For those that can remember terraces, The North Bank was very vocal, and we tended to split ourselves top, middle and lower (bottom)

Anyhow, the idea was that the top would start the chant, the middle would start the chant as the top went to "Wright" and so on. But it all went completely wrong, and sounded more as it does now. The Clock End chanted it back as it now sounds, and so that one was born.

Palace may well have used it previously, they claim so, but it wasn't one I'd ever heard, nor those of us up the top of The North Bank who created the majority of the chants had either.

don't want to discount your story but at the time Ian Wright was at Arsenal, there was a Pizza hut advert using the song feeling hot hot hot. So it evolved from that

That was probably where the idea came from in the first place, most songs come from commercials/chart songs of the era.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby SE13 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:06 pm

Briggsy wrote:Does anyone know why we sing 'over land and sees AND LEICESTER' I myself do but how many of you guys do?

That's one we pinched from (I think) Forest, which could explain the "and Leicester" bit.

Not entirely sure on it though.

"We all follow The Arsenal, over land and sea AND LEICESTER, we all follow The Arsenal, onto victory."

Not sure whether to put the Liverpoo one up or not, it's one we started, and a lot of other clubs pinched it from us.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Libertine » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:50 pm

Briggsy wrote:Does anyone know why we sing 'over land and sees AND LEICESTER' I myself do but how many of you guys do?

It's because of the FA Cup third round tie against Sheffield Wednesday in 1979.
The second, third and fourth replays were all played at Filbert Street.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:07 pm

Libertine wrote:She Wore.... used to be the call to get stuck in, it was being used back in the late 70's.

didnt know that one.

Love that chant, one of my favourites along with Hello Hello we are the Arsenal boys (my ringtone as it goes!) & Who's that team we call the Arsenal.
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby Always_a_gooner » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:30 pm

we have to make a chant when we face chelsea in a weeks time..
"same old terry always cheating"
hahahaha
Always_a_gooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Briggsy » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:37 pm

Always_a_gooner wrote:we have to make a chant when we face chelsea in a weeks time..
hahahaha

that was on my facebook status this morning
Briggsy
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Always_a_gooner » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:04 am

Briggsy wrote:
Always_a_gooner wrote:we have to make a chant when we face chelsea in a weeks time..
hahahaha

that was on my facebook status this morning

loool
:rofll:
Always_a_gooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby TOPG » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:56 pm

That is f**king quality that needs to be sung at Stamford Bridge..........
TOPG
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Yorkyblue » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:07 pm

It's already been done with Burnley before you lot try to take credit. ;)
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby gooner90 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:41 pm

there were a couple songs about terry otuside the ground anyone know what they were i missed bits of them
gooner90
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby we'vegotcescfabregas » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:23 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fcWEiRt-9U

theres a john terry chant in this video and a few about cashley
[flash=]WE'VE GOT CESC FABREGAS[/flash]
we'vegotcescfabregas
Liam Brady

Postby TRA Dial Square » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:13 pm

Jay22 wrote:Does anyone here has the we're by far the greatest team and ooh to be a gooner chants as mp3 files?

I'd like those too. Got the "He's five foot four" chant as my ringtone though. Made it myself off a youtube vid.
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Postby foxy » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:10 pm

Does anyone know the true origins of EIE? Iv heard a few different tales but would love to know where it really came from....
Aaron Ramsey's magic, he wears an Arsenal hat. Sir Alex said come play for me but Aaron said f**k that. Ramsey is a Gooners fan, he wears his shirt with pride, he plays for Arsenal FC, red and white army by his side!
foxy
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club