Tony Adams ~ Mr. Arsenal

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Tony Adams ~ Mr. Arsenal

Postby castano » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:24 pm

First thing that came to my mind on seein the title of the thread is that he was wrong about vermaelen
castano
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Re: Tony Adams

Postby gzagee » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:55 pm

castano wrote:First thing that came to my mind on seein the title of the thread is that he was wrong about vermaelen

There is a time and place for that sort of comment and this is not it. :naughty:

Jay, if you'll allow I'll redirect this to the history of Arsenal. In it's rightful place. :arse flag.gif:
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby gzagee » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:59 pm

I've read his book Addicted (kindly given to me by SGW [cheers Hels]) and he talks candidly about his fight against alcoholism. I'd recommend the book to anyone. A very good read. Only downside for me was that it's written at the end of the 97/98 season. I'd've liked him to have written it after he retired.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:12 pm

gzagee wrote:I've read his book Addicted (kindly given to me by SGW [cheers Hels]) and he talks candidly about his fight against alcoholism. I'd recommend the book to anyone. A very good read.

I'll second that. Brilliant read.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Libertine » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:28 pm

I can remember his debut against Sunderland.
He had an absolute 'mare!
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:30 pm

and I thought I was old!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Libertine » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:35 pm

jayantmoudgil wrote:
Plymouth Gooner wrote:and I thought I was old!

Not more than SE and Libs i am sure. They are watching Arsenal since the Chapman era. :arse fan:

Steady on! ;)

:lol:
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby InTheNorthBank » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:42 am

gzagee wrote:I've read his book Addicted (kindly given to me by SGW [cheers Hels]) and he talks candidly about his fight against alcoholism. I'd recommend the book to anyone. A very good read. Only downside for me was that it's written at the end of the 97/98 season. I'd've liked him to have written it after he retired.

Yeah that's a brilliant book - read it a few years ago now when I was in my mid teens - might have to dig it out of the old book shelf and give it another once over. On a similar note, anyone read the Perry Groves book that came in the membership pack last season? Was another highly enjoyable (if light hearted) read. Certainly made my commute easier for a week or so!
"I am going to make this the greatest club in the world." - Herbert Chapman
InTheNorthBank
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby gzagee » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:53 am

Haven't read that one. I'm not a keen fan of footballer's autobiographies.
Is it as enjoyable as TA's?
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby InTheNorthBank » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:26 pm

It's very different. Obviously TA's was quite serious and very interesting in the sense that you learned how he battled with his problems...Let's just say Perry's was a little more toungue in cheek and humorous. Lots of great stories about team mates etc. and a very easy read. I suppose one good thing about TinTin was that he knew he wasn't to be taken seriously and was a bit of a joke even to the Arsenal fans at first!
"I am going to make this the greatest club in the world." - Herbert Chapman
InTheNorthBank
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Gunflash » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:21 pm

Libertine wrote:I can remember his debut against Sunderland.

But I'm sure a raw TA was far better than a stumbling, bumbling Tommy Caton. TA is an Arsenal legend yet he made his debut in pretty inauspicious circumstances. The team wasn't doing particularly well yet in the midst of it, our greatest ever captain made his debut. Funny how football goes.
There's David O'Leary and big Willie Young, sending Rixy and Stapleton off on a run
Gunflash
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Libertine » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:54 am

Gunflash wrote:
Libertine wrote:I can remember his debut against Sunderland.

But I'm sure a raw TA was far better than a stumbling, bumbling Tommy Caton. TA is an Arsenal legend yet he made his debut in pretty inauspicious circumstances. The team wasn't doing particularly well yet in the midst of it, our greatest ever captain made his debut. Funny how football goes.

Funnily enough mate, i think that if Martin Keown hadn't left for Oxford then Tony Adams might never had made it at Arsenal.

Adams was very raw as a youngster (the Donkey nickname was first coined by Arsenal fans!) and didn't show a tremendous amount of improvement between making his debut in 1983 and breaking his leg in 1986.
(Although, being fair, most centre-backs looked a bit ungainly playing alongside David O'Leary, who was a fantastic player and is probably the best centre back to have ever played for Arsenal.)

Keown came into the team after TA's injury and looked the finished article straight away.
A partnership of Keown and O'Leary looked like being the future for Arsenal.

But then George Graham became manager, refused Keown the pay rise he'd been promised by Don Howe (Howe had promised Keown that he'd double his wages from £100 to £200 a week because he was now a regular first team player).

Keown left for Oxford, Tony Adams came back into the team and two years after looking like being no more than a bit part player, he replaced Kenny Sansom as club captain.

As you very rightly say Gunflash, it's funny how football turns out at times......
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby djaxster » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:05 am

Loved Addicted. Defo the bit when he first come on and was telling Samson,Oleary and co what to do. Kenny who drinks in my area said that he was pissing himself until adams started to tell him what to do. He then wanted to whack him..
Groves book is bloody hilarous and a fantastic read. The bit on the coach when he went tro get a drink or something and he was told someone gets it for you.
I have been wondering has Merse done a book yet. That i would love to read
djaxster
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Libertine » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:13 am

djaxster wrote:I have been wondering has Merse done a book yet. That i would love to read

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rock-Bottom-Pau ... 559&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hero-Villain-Ye ... 644&sr=1-3
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Libertine » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:16 am

Unlike others on here, i read the Perry Groves book and i thought it was rubbish. :hiding:
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Next

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club