The Legends of Arsenal!

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: The Legends of Arsenal!

Postby AFC111158 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:21 pm

There's a few i can name,Dennis Bergkamp sticks out a mile along with Frank McLintock,both loyal to the club throughout,John Radford was always one of my favourites too tireless player,remember hom going in goal in a semi-final and having a blinder!!All great players in their own right!

:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:
AFC111158
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby starmandb » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:50 pm

gilberto silva just scored a cracking goal on the half volley for panathinaikos against aek from on the edge of the box
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Massa » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:19 pm

Nice, good to see he's still got some magic.
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby hyperspeed101 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:06 am

Thierry Henry has to be my choice. He is the reason i fell in love with the sport. His goals, his pace, his skill. There was nothing that man couldn't do on a pitch. He gave his blood sweat and tears to the club and even when he left for Barca he kept Arsenal with him in his heart.
"I am in a job where you always look in front of you. Unfortunately, the older you get, the less distance there is in front of you."Arsene Wenger
hyperspeed101
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby starmandb » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:02 am

hyperspeed101 wrote:Thierry Henry has to be my choice. He is the reason i fell in love with the sport. His goals, his pace, his skill. There was nothing that man couldn't do on a pitch. He gave his blood sweat and tears to the club and even when he left for Barca he kept Arsenal with him in his heart.

glad to hear you say that
i have a guy of irish decent who sits behind me who henry is now dead to and i must admit that play off did leave a sour taste[another example where football is crying out for the 4th official to look at a moniter]
but its arsenal all day and twice on sunday over international football for me and what he did for this club means that only peadophilia or morris dancing could remove his legendary status
starmandb

Postby gzagee » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:20 pm

For me the first Arsenal player i met was Kenny Sansom. He came to my primary School (his sister was a dinner lady). He was my first Gooner Idol.
Then came Rocky & Mers.
Finally it was Wrighty. And for all his mad rants i still love him today cos he always speaks from the heart. And was exactly the way he played.
Of course Vieira and Henry came later on.
None since.

I think it's a shame wenger's done away with our traditiona of having proper wingers. For me Overmars was the last of that fraternity. Had he stayed I'm sure he'd've become a Lege.
From my time I grew up watching Hayes, Rocky, Marwood, Limpar and later Overmars. I feel quite spoilt considering we don't continue with the old art.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby UFGN » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:36 pm

Adams.

I dont have to say a word to explain why.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby ivan itchybum » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:17 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKzkbMbT ... grec_index
the ledgends at their best :redface: i wish we could do that nowadays
gooney wrote: I will have a bet with anyone who is willing to take Newcastle will finish ahead of us...how about loser leaves the forum?

13th of May 2012 Arsenal beat West Brom 3-2 to finish 3rd ahead of Newcastle. Gooney is still yet to leave the forum...

"Have faith in Ramsey, he'll come good"
ivan itchybum
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Massa » Sun May 05, 2013 11:22 am

From Twitter

Stepanovs was on trial for Arsenal & the other players used to wind up Keown saying any defender was going to take his place.

So during the trial the other players were bigging Stepanovs up and winding up Keown. The trial ended & weeks later he turned up at the Club.The players were astounded as he was so poor.

Someone asked Wenger why he had signed him & he said he’d heard the other players praising him so decided to buy him!!!

At HT during the massive defeat v Utd when walking off Dwight Yorke asked Parlour where the f**k did he come from?

Parlour just said “it’s a long story”

Also Wenger swore at HT for the first time ever during that game.
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby ClockEnd Mark » Thu May 09, 2013 10:15 pm

Malcolm MacDonald...He was our striker when i first started going over Highbury with my pals.
Charlie (champagn) Nicholas...Well,,its Charlie aint it and probably our 1st "star" signing.
David Rocastle...In my opinion, the best number 7 we have ever had.

and "The Bear"
ClockEnd Mark
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Zedie » Thu May 09, 2013 10:25 pm

Massa wrote:From Twitter

Stepanovs was on trial for Arsenal & the other players used to wind up Keown saying any defender was going to take his place.

So during the trial the other players were bigging Stepanovs up and winding up Keown. The trial ended & weeks later he turned up at the Club.The players were astounded as he was so poor.

Someone asked Wenger why he had signed him & he said he’d heard the other players praising him so decided to buy him!!!

At HT during the massive defeat v Utd when walking off Dwight Yorke asked Parlour where the f**k did he come from?

Parlour just said “it’s a long story”

Also Wenger swore at HT for the first time ever during that game.

Looool
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Maxduke » Thu May 09, 2013 11:35 pm

lmfao that's class
Maxduke
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Est83 » Fri May 10, 2013 12:19 am

Brilliant!!!

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby greengoonerie » Fri May 10, 2013 8:21 am

Charlie George - his winning goal in the FA Cup Final was why I fell in love with Arsenal
Liam Brady - magnificent player in an average team -almost won the Cup final on his own for us Versus Man U 3-2 - went on to be one of Italys most highly regarded "imports" when he left us.
Mickey Thomas - THAT goal in Anfield - still gives me goose bumps when I picture it
Alan Sunderland - THAT goal in the cup final
David Rocastle - gone too soon
WWW - "Just did it"!
George Graham (good) winning the league THAT season and the CWC
Geroge Graham (bad) the money George- you had loads of it - Jesus!!
Tony Adams - MR Arsenal for me - coming back from Jail time, the media bashing etc - he just rubbed their noses in it ON The pitch
Denis Bergkamp - because he was Gods Brother
Patrick Viera/Manu Petit - lanky legends
Keown - THAT jump into Horseface
Henry - because class is timeless
Adams/Bould/Keown/Winterburn/Dixon - because they epitomised Arsenal fans - together we stand, divided we fall. And they stood, and stood, and stood. They formed the bedrock of Wengers team as well.
Wenger - the invincibles,
Wenger - the leagues,
Wenger - the cups
Wenger - the Doubles
Wenger - the football style
greengoonerie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Gunpowder » Fri May 10, 2013 10:21 am

Today is birthday of one of them. Have a good one Dennis, live long!

My favorite player of all time. When I was kid, that was Henry. Henry made me watch Arsenal matches but more I see Bergkamp and more I know about him, he became my favorite. Too bad I was too young when he's old. If I had an option to watch any sports era, I would pick Bergkamp's Arsenal.
Gunpowder
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club