The Legends of Arsenal!

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

The Legends of Arsenal!

Postby Briggsy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:02 pm

Simply name a player explain why you believe he is a legend! Then following posters can contribute to a player or name there own! I'll Start with a obvious one Dennis Bergkamp! Scored over 100 goals for the club not many of them where shit! Played alongside 2 record goalscorers in Wright and Henry. Bergkamp helped both Wrighty and Henry score many of there goals! The first ever time I saw Bergkamp was Arsenal vs Southampton, he scored his first 2 goals that day. My chair was broke I complained to a steward they moved me to a restricted viewing told me to write to the club. At the end of the game I said to the steward I can't complain I've just seen GOD
Briggsy
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Re: The Legends of Arsenal!

Postby Gunflash » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:54 pm

David Rocastle

- Rocky's Arsenal career started in poor circumstances in 1985 as a crumbling Arsenal team lumbered to a goalless draw with Newcastle. However, Rocky was a catalyst for the youthful revolution that would sweep Arsenal to glory from 1987-1991. His emergence on the scene was a rare bright spot for Arsenal in the mid 1980s.

As a creative midfielder he was simply brilliant. He had pace, skill and vision. He scored the goal that set Arsenal on their way back to the top - the injury-time winner against Spurs in the League Cup semi-final replay of 1987. At Old Trafford he made fools out of Ince, Robson and Schmeicel with a brilliant lob that even Alex Ferguson admired. During the 1988/89 Championship season, Rocky was brilliant from start-to-finish.

Yet above all, Rocky was Arsenal through and through. It's a cliche, but if you cut him, he'd bleed red and white. His skills may have made him a perfect fit for the Wenger era but he had the heart, soul and passion for the club that too many of his successors have lacked. When George Graham told him that he would be sold, Rocky cried. That's how much the club meant to him. He knew what it meant to play for that badge.

Whenever the Arsenal old boys get together for their Anfield '89 reunions, sadly there is a gap at the table because of Rocky's tragic death from cancer in 2001, at the age of just 33. Nobody will ever forget David Rocastle and nobody should.
There's David O'Leary and big Willie Young, sending Rixy and Stapleton off on a run
Gunflash
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Libertine » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:44 am

Here's one i made earlier......
Charlie George. :thumbsup:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8939
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Libertine » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:55 am

Gunflash wrote:David Rocastle

- Rocky's Arsenal career started in poor circumstances in 1985 as a crumbling Arsenal team lumbered to a goalless draw with Newcastle.

A brief look at the game here....

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2918&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:22 am

Tony Adams

Began and ended his career with the Arsenal. A captain who even when he spent half a season in prison contributed more that season than Gallas has in his whole Arsenal career!

What I'd give for a tall, centre back, leader who loves the club right now! In fact what he stands for is the opposite to everything that is wrong at the club right now.

Absolute legend, the ultimate Arsenal man.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby hja » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:27 pm

Henry my personal favorite player ever this guy was amazing arsenals top ever goal scorer and a absoloute legend.Some of the goal he scored took my breath away hes pure class.
hja
Patrick Vieira

Postby InTheNorthBank » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:37 pm

Gunflash wrote:David Rocastle

- Rocky's Arsenal career started in poor circumstances in 1985 as a crumbling Arsenal team lumbered to a goalless draw with Newcastle. However, Rocky was a catalyst for the youthful revolution that would sweep Arsenal to glory from 1987-1991. His emergence on the scene was a rare bright spot for Arsenal in the mid 1980s.

As a creative midfielder he was simply brilliant. He had pace, skill and vision. He scored the goal that set Arsenal on their way back to the top - the injury-time winner against Spurs in the League Cup semi-final replay of 1987. At Old Trafford he made fools out of Ince, Robson and Schmeicel with a brilliant lob that even Alex Ferguson admired. During the 1988/89 Championship season, Rocky was brilliant from start-to-finish.

Yet above all, Rocky was Arsenal through and through. It's a cliche, but if you cut him, he'd bleed red and white. His skills may have made him a perfect fit for the Wenger era but he had the heart, soul and passion for the club that too many of his successors have lacked. When George Graham told him that he would be sold, Rocky cried. That's how much the club meant to him. He knew what it meant to play for that badge.

Whenever the Arsenal old boys get together for their Anfield '89 reunions, sadly there is a gap at the table because of Rocky's tragic death from cancer in 2001, at the age of just 33. Nobody will ever forget David Rocastle and nobody should.

Rocky used to live next door to my head teacher at school when he played for Chelsea. He came to one of my school fetes once and went in goal to have penalties taken against him for charity…scored mine which I was chuffed about lol. But I never really appreciated how lucky I was to meet him as I can barely remember him playing for Arsenal – it’s only now I realise what a legend he really was and how lucky I was to meet him!

For me, Ian Wright is and was my personal legend/hero. Bergkamp is possibly our greatest ever player, at least in the modern era, Adams probably represents Arsenal more than anyone and Henry was probably our most marketable player in recent times. But when I was a little lad and used to wear a full Arsenal kit (including socks and shin pads!) down to the supermarket with my mum, up until my mid teenage years, Ian Wright scored the goals. If he didn’t score (especially at the end of Graham’s reign) we were up shit creak more often than not. Smithy used to chip in as did Campbell and Merson etc. but Ian Wright was a goal machine. Part of a golden era for me, where we had a team full of players who loved the club (Wrighty, Adams, Bould, Dixon, Winterburn, Keown, Parlour, Merse etc) his big toothy smile reminds me of a time when we weren’t the best team in the country, but football was pure and simple – ok, maybe not with Georgey Graham and his scandals! – but for me at least.

I had his name on the back of almost every kit I had – with brief sabbaticals to accommodate for Bergkamp and Helder (don’t ask, I thought he was gonna be magic the first time I saw him!) – and will always love him and the goals he scored.
"I am going to make this the greatest club in the world." - Herbert Chapman
InTheNorthBank
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby the real gooner » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:48 pm

Frank McClintock double winning captain. Great leader. Hard defender.
the real gooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby bishop05 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:57 pm

pires >>>> henry

both amazing players , but pires is still my favourite player of all time , im a left winger so i look out for them on the pitch more tbh , nasri and such like.
The way pires could take a ball and wrap his foot round it and bend it top corner makes the hairs stand up to this day.
thanks for my av and sig!
bishop05
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby gzagee » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:12 pm

Pal Lydersen. In 2 years he played hardly fook all games for us and GG got caught with his fingers in the till for him.

At least John Jensen can always lay claim to helping us win some trophies and scoring that goal against Ze Germans.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:18 pm

It always amused me that they had to pay us (well Graham) to sign Jensen.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby gzagee » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:24 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:It always amused me that they had to pay us (well Graham) to sign Jensen.

He wasn't that bad, he just wasn't Mickey T. Mickey was always gonna be a hard act to follow.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Gunner_Paul » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:24 pm

Patrick Viera.

If Thierry Henry was the soul of Arsenal during his time at our club then there is no doubt that Patrick Viera was the heart.

Absolute work horse, drove his team forward, got back and tackled amazingly and scored some absolute beauts.
Oh to oh to oh to oh to be a gunner.....
Gunner_Paul
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Gunflash » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:12 am

George Armstrong

Some of the most memorable images of Arsenal's first Double-winning season include Charlie George's celebration against Liverpool at Wembley, or Frank McLintock shouting instructions, or Bob Wilson diving out at the feet of George Best. If there's any justice, people should remember the sight of a winger getting down the line and crossing for John Radford or Ray Kennedy to score a header. That winger is, of course, George "Geordie" Armstrong.

Armstrong belongs to a type that has become extinct at Arsenal. Armstrong spent 16 years at the club and was our record appearance holder before David O'Leary. Terry Neill said that Geordie was like the Duracell bunny because he just kept on running up and down the flank. Geordie was one of the unsung heroes of Arsenal's 1971 Double-winning team. He wreaked havoc down the wing, with his pace and his accurate crosses, which allowed the strikers to score so many headed goals. Wenger seems to act like he has nothing to learn from Arsenal's past but he would do well to watch old videos of Armstrong crossing the ball to a target.

Geordie was not a glamorous player (Charlie George was the style king in those days) but what he was was hard-working and determined with almost limitless energy. Armstrong was ever present during Arsenal's momentous 1971 campaign, another feat which demonstrates how far out of step he is with modern Arsenal; a team which has players who can barely complete 20 games a season.

Arsenal's title-winning teams since 1971 have always relied on the incursions of a tricky winger. Marwood provided so many assists for Alan Smith. Limpar, Overmars and Pires were foreign superstars who combined creative flair with stunning goals. But when we look at them, we should remember that Geordie was the doyen of all those wingers.

Geordie eventually became a coach at Arsenal. An Arsenal man through and through, he sadly died in 2000, after collapsing on the training ground. It was truly the death of Arsenal legend. Hopefully Geordie's contribution to Arsenal's first championship in 18 years and their first-ever Double will never be forgotten.
There's David O'Leary and big Willie Young, sending Rixy and Stapleton off on a run
Gunflash
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby TRA Dial Square » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:58 am

Pat Jennings

In August 1977, he was transferred from Tottenham to their arch-rivals, Arsenal, with Tottenham thinking he was nearing the end of his career. However, Jennings saw off rivals for the goalkeeper's jersey to play for Arsenal for another eight years. Whilst at Highbury, he helped Arsenal to three successive FA Cup finals, in 1978, 1979, and 1980. In total, Jennings made 327 appearances for Arsenal, 237 of them in the League, between 1977 and his eventual retirement from first-team club football in 1985.
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Next

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club