Thomas Vermaelen ~ The Verminator

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Thomas Vermaelen ~ The Verminator

Postby Mazinho17 » Sun May 17, 2009 11:38 am

Arsenal are set to make a £7.5million bid for Ajax defender Thomas Vermaelen.

Manager Arsene Wenger received glowing reports about the Belgian-born Vermaelen and has had him checked by leading members of his scouting staff.

The feedback has been positive on the Ajax skipper, who can play in central defence or at left-back.

Wenger is set to take steps to reinforce an Arsenal defence which he conceded last week lacked the solidity of champions Manchester United.

Since he lost William Gallas through injury at the end of February, Arsenal have looked vulnerable at the back - and Wenger pinpointed that failing as the glaring difference between his team and United.

Wenger said: "In attack we have scored almost as many goals as United, but we have let in more." Vermaelen would be a welcome addition to his defensive options.

He is 23 and has shown such leadership qualities that he was appointed captain this season.

He has also established himself as a regular in the Belgian national team - and he is also versatile, another trait that Wenger admires.

With continued uncertainty about the future of Gael Clichy, Wenger would have an ideal replacement.

Real Madrid, along with AC Milan, are reported to be keen on Clichy and, if he goes, Wenger will be equipped to fill that gap.

Kieron Gibbs took over from the injured Clichy during the run-in to the current season but Wenger acknowledges the 19-year-old will need a breather from first-team action.

And in Vermaelen, Wenger will also have a player to play in central defence should Kolo Toure join Manchester City in a £12.5m deal.

Clichy's future at Arsenal has been in question for some months. As well as Real, AC Milan are also reported to be keen on the French international left-back.

He would have no problem settling in Milan because his close friend Mathieu Flamini is already at the club after moving to Italy on a free transfer a year ago.

Wenger is also know to have checked on Bolton central defender Gary Cahill to stiffen his defence and there is still talk of a link with Portsmouth striker Peter Crouch.

Wenger bristled at criticism levelled at his players by shareholders last week at a question-answer forum.

He has now gone on record as saying that while he will use the transfer funds made available to him, he will not risk losing the confidence of the younger players that he is grooming to bring into the team - players like Gibbs and Jack Wilshere.

Wenger insisted last week: "How can I sign them and educate them and then not give them the chance to show what they can do?"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/05/17/verm-in-at-arsenal-115875-21365572/
Mazinho17
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Re: Thomas Vermaelen

Postby Cheese » Sun May 17, 2009 11:57 am

Clichy's future at Arsenal has been in question for some months. As well as Real, AC Milan are also reported to be keen on the French international left-back.

Idiots! That's why Clichy was offered a new long term contract earlier in the season, and that's why Clichy signed the contract before the ink had time to dry.
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby damo1583 » Sun May 17, 2009 12:02 pm

Wenger is also know to have checked on Bolton central defender Gary Cahill to stiffen his defence and there is still talk of a link with Portsmouth striker Peter Crouch.

Crouch.....WTF!!!!!!!
Who you tryin' to get crazy with ese? Don't you know i'm LOCO?
damo1583
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun May 17, 2009 12:02 pm

Am I right in thinking that Vermaelen isn't even 6' tall? What's the point? We need monsters, not more lightweights!!!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby gzagee » Sun May 17, 2009 12:06 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:Am I right in thinking that Vermaelen isn't even 6' tall? What's the point? We need monsters, not more lightweights!!!

I was gonna say the same thing actually. He might be another Cannavaro but even he needs a strapping CB next to him.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby damo1583 » Sun May 17, 2009 12:10 pm

I think we will only make a move if Clichy goes, so a 5'11 LB who can cover at CB is not bad if we get Hangeland.....
Who you tryin' to get crazy with ese? Don't you know i'm LOCO?
damo1583
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby gzagee » Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 pm

damo1583 wrote:I think we will only make a move if Clichy goes, so a 5'11 LB who can cover at CB is not bad if we get Hangeland.....

Don't think there's much chance of Clichy leaving.

Cheese wrote:

Idiots! That's why Clichy was offered a new long term contract earlier in the season, and that's why Clichy signed the contract before the ink had time to dry.

You said it! :thumbsup:
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Fabby » Sun May 17, 2009 1:00 pm

Clichy wont go. f***ing better not anyway he's the mutts.

Vermaelan would play CB, but I think he's too small.
If It Feels Good, Do It.

Van Basten
Rivaldo------------- R.Gullit
Guardiola Effenberg
R.Carlos -----------------------J.Zanetti
Costacurta M.Sammer Bergomi
GK
Fabby
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Bristol_Gunner » Sun May 17, 2009 2:48 pm

weve also been linked with Giorgio Chiellini who is just over 6 ft and tbh as he has played for juve you would rather go for him bigger club better league n all.
Bristol_Gunner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Fabrestuta » Sun May 17, 2009 2:56 pm

Bristol_Gunner wrote:weve also been linked with Giorgio Chiellini who is just over 6 ft and tbh as he has played for juve you would rather go for him bigger club better league n all.

Italian players rarely come to the Prem for some reason (of course there's a few exceptions) so I doubt we'd sign him. I watch the Serie A fairly regularly and I wouldn't be unhappy if he did come.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun May 17, 2009 8:30 pm

Excellent excellent excellent, Vermaelen is wicked, buy him.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Cheese » Sun May 17, 2009 9:31 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:Am I right in thinking that Vermaelen isn't even 6' tall? What's the point? We need monsters, not more lightweights!!!

Try telling Arshavin that he's a lightweight.... ;)
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Fabrestuta » Sun May 17, 2009 9:45 pm

Cheese wrote:

Try telling Arshavin that he's a lightweight.... ;)

Arshavin isn't a defender.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby gzagee » Sun May 17, 2009 10:36 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:Excellent excellent excellent, Vermaelen is wicked, buy him.

But don't you think we've got enough short-ass defenders?
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Reverend Gooner » Mon May 18, 2009 12:45 am

gzagee wrote:
Reverend Gooner wrote:Excellent excellent excellent, Vermaelen is wicked, buy him.

But don't you think we've got enough short-ass defenders?

He is short that is true, the other 3 i mentioned in the other thread are all 6ft plus which is a bonus. He is class though so i wouldn't mind if we bought him, i agree that needs mean a taller player might be preferable.

Would you accept a less skilled defender than Vermaelen if he was taller?
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Next

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club