Super Jacky Wilshere

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Super Jacky Wilshere

Postby swipe right » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:38 am

jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:Sorry but what did he do to waste his career? He was frequently injured. Which is not something one can control. What else?

Smoking cigarettes and cigars and partying like he was in 1980s/early 90s English football will not have helped him at all.
Then he had a big mouth off the pitch - yeah we all found it funny at the time, but when he got on the pitch you can bet that his opponents were itching to leave one on him.
He was unprofessional at a time when he needed to focus on football and taking the next step up, which could have been world-class.

You’re fishing for reasons to blame him. As you do with every player you don’t like. Smoking and running your mouth does not cause you to have weak ankles. We’ve seen that over the years. Wilshere, Rosicky, Eduardo, RvP, Diaby were all model professionals who were blighted by injuries. Whether you like them or not you should have some human sympathy for a person who’s entire life is football and then sees it fall apart for circumstances.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:58 am

His insistence on playing top division football in his condition is puzzling. Financially he should be fine, he was an Arsenal player till 2018.

Why not just play for fun in lower leagues pro bono, work your way into punditry like Jermaine Jenas?
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:58 am

He really should have taken the first play as you pay deal from Emery. But it also sounds like he may need to give up playing and think about the next step in coaching. Not everyone has the body to play at a high level and take on a coaching role quite early in their career.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby swipe right » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:00 am

I think we look at these guys as every decision is practical. But the reality is he is only 29 and probably has a love for playing the game that the rest of us cannot fathom. It’s all he’s ever known and giving up on that can’t be easy.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:07 am

swipe right wrote:I think we look at these guys as every decision is practical. But the reality is he is only 29 and probably has a love for playing the game that the rest of us cannot fathom. It’s all he’s ever known and giving up on that can’t be easy.

Definitely. But it's a harsh reality. I was shocked when I leanerd former academy player, Sanchez Watt, was considering taking up a coaching role with us and playing non league football. He's only 30 and was playing reserve football with Wilshere.

Not sure what else Wilshere can do if nobody is willing to give him the opportunity. A step down in level maybe the only solution if he still wants to play.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby swipe right » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:45 am

Power n Glory wrote:
swipe right wrote:I think we look at these guys as every decision is practical. But the reality is he is only 29 and probably has a love for playing the game that the rest of us cannot fathom. It’s all he’s ever known and giving up on that can’t be easy.

Definitely. But it's a harsh reality. I was shocked when I leanerd former academy player, Sanchez Watt, was considering taking up a coaching role with us and playing non league football. He's only 30 and was playing reserve football with Wilshere.

Not sure what else Wilshere can do if nobody is willing to give him the opportunity. A step down in level maybe the only solution if he still wants to play.

I wonder why he isn’t looking at places like Qatar or Japan as an option. He’d get to play and earn well too. And then in a couple of years he could do his badges and become a coach.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:09 am

swipe right wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

I wonder why he isn’t looking at places like Qatar or Japan as an option. He’d get to play and earn well too. And then in a couple of years he could do his badges and become a coach.

He may just want to stay in England for family reasons. Something will come up for him. A lot of press around his story and someone may take the gamble in January if he stays in shape.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Angelito » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:01 pm

^ In football, 29 seems "old." In real life, one is still young and for an athlete like Wilshere, he'd still want to play and do as much as he can to get some on-field action. Even in football, 29 is the prime for most players.

Jack should accept playing for lower-division clubs, or try it out overseas (in lesser leagues). The latter might be difficult as he is well-settled with his family in England. So, if he can get into a Championship side or even a club in League One, he could continue playing in a pay-as-you-play deal. He's loaded, so money shouldn't be an issue. He'd still get paid well relatively.

I don't know if he might be interested. He should get his coaching badges too. He doesn't seem the type but there's no harm in trying his hand.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Ach » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:13 pm

Wasn't he absolute shit for Bournemouth at championship level?
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:43 pm

Sven and Lars Bender (Dortmund, BLeverkusen) retired at 32, and are now playing in the 9th division of German football:
https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundeslig ... tire-14030

These guys had similar injury-hit careers, but they still love football and aren't above admitting they're no longer top-division players.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Royal Gooner » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:19 pm

Shame about the Benders but I do think Jack is probably going down the Sol Campbell route. Start just for fitness but come January, he'll be back.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby swipe right » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:03 pm

Angelito wrote:

^ In football, 29 seems "old." In real life, one is still young and for an athlete like Wilshere, he'd still want to play and do as much as he can to get some on-field action. Even in football, 29 is the prime for most players.

Jack should accept playing for lower-division clubs, or try it out overseas (in lesser leagues). The latter might be difficult as he is well-settled with his family in England. So, if he can get into a Championship side or even a club in League One, he could continue playing in a pay-as-you-play deal. He's loaded, so money shouldn't be an issue. He'd still get paid well relatively.

I don't know if he might be interested. He should get his coaching badges too. He doesn't seem the type but there's no harm in trying his hand.

In interviews he often talks about liking a challenge abroad. I just don’t think he’s getting the opportunity. Clubs are probably fearful of his injury situation. He would walk into most mid table teams in France, Italy, Spain etc if it weren’t for his recurring fitness issues.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:35 pm

I've seen his interviews and I'm sorry but I don't feel sorry for this spoilt brat at all.

He said the reason he wasn't great at B'mth or West Ham or that he doesn't want to just go "Anywhere" is because he wants to be at a big club.

Fk off.

If you love football that much you'll play where you can, another product of "soft, soft Arsenal".

Also he was offered a contract by Emery and he turned it down just because Emery said he wouldn't be 1st choice.

The guys an idiot, mans all depressed looks like he's going to hang himself just because he can't turn out for a top 4 team, he's a millionaire ffs.

There are people with real problems out there.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:50 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:I've seen his interviews and I'm sorry but I don't feel sorry for this spoilt brat at all.

He said the reason he wasn't great at B'mth or West Ham or that he doesn't want to just go "Anywhere" is because he wants to be at a big club.

Fk off.

If you love football that much you'll play where you can, another product of "soft, soft Arsenal".

Also he was offered a contract by Emery and he turned it down just because Emery said he wouldn't be 1st choice.

The guys an idiot, mans all depressed looks like he's going to hang himself just because he can't turn out for a top 4 team, he's a millionaire ffs.

There are people with real problems out there.

Spot on DG feck him I for one hope he doesn't play again for us. N00b.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Ach » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:07 pm

He seems like one of those chav kids who have 14 kids from 6 different women
Ach
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club