In Arsène We Trust ~ Victoria Concordia Crescit

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: In Arsène We Shall Always Trust ~ Victoria Concordia Cre

Postby Angelito » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:05 am

Phil71 wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:
Angelito wrote:Love it from Wenger.

Unai disrespecting Arsenal and our players, whilst refusing to take his share of the blame will no doubt find an audience in this tone-deaf community though.
"I obviously am partly responsible, but you see that the team has not exactly done better since I left.” Emery

So Emery did at least acknowledge some responsibility. Unlike Wenger who even now still believes he was right.

Emery is completely responsible for the way the team played and the results whilst he was here.

We got worse under him. Not even a little bit better. Worse.

Exactly.

Just because Wenger should have stepped down after 15/16 at the very latest, doesn't absolve Emery from turning us into a walking disaster.

His obsession with Arsenal and continuous deflection tactics just shows how stubborn and delusional he is.

This same, "downward spiral," Arsenal side finished ahead of PSG in the UCL group stages the last time we were in it.

People can't distinguish the two: Wenger was past it, but Emery never made it.

Emery was a disaster at Arsenal and left us worse than he found us. He was tactically clueless. He lost the dressing room. We still don't know whether he's an attack-minded coach, or a defensive coach. And, is classless. His continuous backhanded way of talking about Arsenal repulses me.

Wenger, for all his faults, didn't speak once about Arsenal after he left. He never criticized us, nor did he pop up at the Emirates to watch our games. All of this because he took a clean break and didn't want to pile up the pressure on Emery by towering over him.

If Wenger's worst ever season is the benchmark for Emery's "great" season, I don't think we need to substantiate anything any further.

Lastly, I'd go so far ahead as to saying that we'd have won the Europa League in 17/18 if UEFA's stupid rule didn't prohibit Aubameyang from playing in it, or if we still had Alexis Sanchez.

Wenger's final two seasons: FA Cup, 75-pts in the League (highest points tally for a club that didn't make it into the top-4), League Cup Final, Europa League SF, and a Community Shield.

Just shows how high the standards were for Wenger.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:25 am

Angelito wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:

Unai disrespecting Arsenal and our players, whilst refusing to take his share of the blame will no doubt find an audience in this tone-deaf community though.
"I obviously am partly responsible, but you see that the team has not exactly done better since I left.” Emery

So Emery did at least acknowledge some responsibility. Unlike Wenger who even now still believes he was right.

Emery is completely responsible for the way the team played and the results whilst he was here.

Exactly.

Just because Wenger should have stepped down after 15/16 at the very latest, doesn't absolve Emery from turning us into a walking disaster.

His obsession with Arsenal and continuous deflection tactics just shows how stubborn and delusional he is.

This same, "downward spiral," Arsenal side finished ahead of PSG in the UCL group stages the last time we were in it.

Emery was a disaster at Arsenal and left us worse than he found us. He was tactically clueless. He lost the dressing room. We still don't know whether he's an attack-minded coach, or a defensive coach. And, is classless. His continuous backhanded way of talking about Arsenal repulses me.

Wenger, for all his faults, didn't speak once about Arsenal after he left. He never criticized us, nor did he pop up at the Emirates to watch our games. All of this because he took a clean break and didn't want to pile up the pressure on Emery by towering over him.

If Wenger's worst ever season is the benchmark for Emery's "great" season, I don't think we need to substantiate anything any further.

Lastly, I'd go so far ahead as to saying that we'd have won the Europa League in 17/18 if UEFA's stupid rule didn't prohibit Aubameyang from playing in it, or if we still had Alexis Sanchez.

Wenger's final two seasons: FA Cup, 75-pts in the League (highest points tally for a club that didn't make it into the top-4), League Cup Final, Europa League SF, and a Community Shield.

All I see there is more of the same ifs, buts and maybes excuses that Wenger spouted for years when results didn't go his, way.

You could say the same about Emery and the way last season ended, if player x wasn't injured, if we still had Ramsey, blah blah blah. It doesn't change anything.

Wenger left a crap squad with a crap mentality and outdated training/fitness regimes. The club needed a complete overhaul and imo Emery was the fall guy for the shite Wenger had left behind.

I'm not sure Arteta is going to be given the time to turn it around either. It could take ten years to sort out Wenger's mess.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:45 am

Phil71 wrote:
Ach wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:

Fifth and a final is worse than sixth and a semi? A semi I might add we spent the majority of the home leg playing against 10 men v Argentinian Allardyce

Even for you, that's far fetched

The league is what matters.

Don't get me wrong - I wanted Wenger out. But when you compare his last 51 league games against the 51 league games Emery had:

Wenger:
POINTS 87
GOALS FOR 103
GOALS AGAINST 67

Emery:
POINTS 88
GOALS FOR 91
GOALS AGAINST 70

So emery got more points in a random amount of games that you picked to suit your agenda and failed miserably.

Fact is emery took over an absolute dog of a squad left by a past it manager and as I said then it would take time to get us back in to top 4. Fact we were so close finishing fifth which is higher than the previous season and just a point behind fourth and going further in Europe which does matter despite your agenda would suggest we were ahead of schedule.

This season it wasnt working out as old frailties came back and we continues on a downward spiral which started long before emery came despite his first season which looked like a blip now in an otherwise dreadful era for us which started under Wenger.

Don't quite get the logic he made us worse but people will say anything to absolve daddy Wenger.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Ach » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:55 am

Tony Adams wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:

Exactly.

All I see there is more of the same ifs, buts and maybes excuses that Wenger spouted for years when results didn't go his, way.

You could say the same about Emery and the way last season ended, if player x wasn't injured, if we still had Ramsey, blah blah blah. It doesn't change anything.

Wenger left a crap squad with a crap mentality and outdated training/fitness regimes. The club needed a complete overhaul and imo Emery was the fall guy for the shite Wenger had left behind.

I'm not sure Arteta is going to be given the time to turn it around either. It could take ten years to sort out Wenger's mess.

This.

Emery wasn't given the time. Doubt Arteta will be either.

You can see it when pundits/journalists etc talk about us and our weaknesses, saying it's been going on for years. Lack of defence, lack of leadership and so on. Who was our manager years ago? Exactly.

Emery and Arteta should he fail will take some responsibility as they should but we would be criticising them for failing to turn around a sinking ship. That's all.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Phil71 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:37 am

Ach wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Ach wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:

Fifth and a final is worse than sixth and a semi? A semi I might add we spent the majority of the home leg playing against 10 men v Argentinian Allardyce

Don't get me wrong - I wanted Wenger out. But when you compare his last 51 league games against the 51 league games Emery had:

Wenger:
POINTS 87
GOALS FOR 103
GOALS AGAINST 67

Emery:
POINTS 88
GOALS FOR 91
GOALS AGAINST 70

So emery got more points in a random amount of games that you picked to suit your agenda and failed miserably.

Fact is emery took over an absolute dog of a squad left by a past it manager and as I said then it would take time to get us back in to top 4. Fact we were so close finishing fifth which is higher than the previous season and just a point behind fourth and going further in Europe which does matter despite your agenda would suggest we were ahead of schedule.

This season it wasnt working out as old frailties came back and we continues on a downward spiral which started long before emery came despite his first season which looked like a blip now in an otherwise dreadful era for us which started under Wenger.

Don't quite get the logic he made us worse but people will say anything to absolve daddy Wenger.

I've already said I thought Wenger should leave. Maybe you missed that bit. I've also said in the past that the squad needs improving.

But when you employ an expensive football manager you expect to see some improvement. With Emery we saw none. The stats were more or less the same as before he arrived, the quality of the football got worse, and he completely lost the dressing room. So he got sacked.

It's pretty clear really. Not sure what's difficult about it.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:19 am

Phil71 wrote:
Ach wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Ach wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:

Wenger:
POINTS 87
GOALS FOR 103
GOALS AGAINST 67

Emery:
POINTS 88
GOALS FOR 91
GOALS AGAINST 70

I've already said I thought Wenger should leave. Maybe you missed that bit. I've also said in the past that the squad needs improving.

But when you employ an expensive football manager you expect to see some improvement. With Emery we saw none. The stats were more or less the same as before he arrived, the quality of the football got worse, and he completely lost the dressing room. So he got sacked.

Same could be said about arteta. If emery was as rubbish as some are saying we should have seen an immediate improvement in results due to better tactics and happier players.
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:11 pm

Tony Adams wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Ach wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Ach wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:

Wenger:
POINTS 87
GOALS FOR 103
GOALS AGAINST 67

Emery:
POINTS 88
GOALS FOR 91
GOALS AGAINST 70

Same could be said about arteta. If emery was as rubbish as some are saying we should have seen an immediate improvement in results due to better tactics and happier players.

Only the most extreme anti-Emery / pro-Wenger nut jobs were demanding Emery's head after two months.

Same can be said for those now saying Arteta should go.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Rockape » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:27 pm

I think it was the Ozil factor that led to Emery’s downfall. The whole process of him trying to get him to play different and dropping him, caused a slow poison to infect the team.

Eventually, when results worsened, he was forced to backtrack and use Ozil which undermined his authority further and the team lost respect. The Ozil contract was signed on Wengers watch and was left to cause havoc.

MA has taken a different route by using Ozil, as he probably has seen where Emery went wrong. However the problem is that against strong teams, we’ll be carrying him, which will just make it more difficult to get results.

Much as I’ve loved Ozil playing for us in the early years, the sooner he goes, the sooner the Club can breathe a big sigh of relief and move forward!
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:57 pm

Rockape wrote:I think it was the Ozil factor that led to Emery’s downfall. The whole process of him trying to get him to play different and dropping him, caused a slow poison to infect the team.

Eventually, when results worsened, he was forced to backtrack and use Ozil which undermined his authority further and the team lost respect. The Ozil contract was signed on Wengers watch and was left to cause havoc.

MA has taken a different route by using Ozil, as he probably has seen where Emery went wrong. However the problem is that against strong teams, we’ll be carrying him, which will just make it more difficult to get results.

Much as I’ve loved Ozil playing for us in the early years, the sooner he goes, the sooner the Club can breathe a big sigh of relief and move forward!

The constant changes to the line up and formation would have pissed everyone off and caused confusion. He was indecisive and poor when it came to communication and man management. From the pitch, to press conferences, managing player injuries, training sessions captaincy....he was just bad. Even without Ozil he'd have fallen the same way. I don't even like Xhaka or how he handled the booing incident but Emery hung him out to dry in the press conference.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Angelito » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:50 am

Tony Adams wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:

Exactly.

It's all strawman from you now.

Literally, nobody is bringing up injuries as an excuse here. Where are you getting that from?

Emery had Neymar, Mbappe, and Cavani and didn't uproot trees at PSG. Even if he had Henry and Bergkamp at Arsenal, he'd have failed because Emery simply isn't a good manager. That's that.

He failed at two of the biggest jobs he's had. He managed to lose Ligue One with PSG. He couldn't perform in the UCL at PSG. He was a disaster at Arsenal.

I can't see what's so difficult to understand here.

Set aside your hatred/dislike for Wenger and evaluate Emery's performance independently. If a coach is a terrible fit, even if you give him 5 years, nothing's going to change. Emery wasn't an appropriate manager for Arsenal.

About Arteta, you don't have to worry. If he proves to be as big a dufus as Emery, he'll be sacked and rightfully so. I've said it before and I'll repeat myself again: Wenger earned the loyal fan support at Arsenal because he's a legend. No other Arsenal manager will get that. There's no point obsessing over a manager.

You're simply blinded by your hatred/dislike of Wenger. If Emery were even a good manager, he wouldn't have been sacked. We wouldn't be in this state. Blaming Wenger won't turn Emery into a good manager. He's not one. He's fine for Everton and the ilk. For a top club aspiring to be in the UCL, he's not the kind you go for.

We've gone from, "Anyone can do a better job than Wenger," to "Wenger created this mess and it will take 10 years..." None of this is Wenger's fault. It's the board's fault. But I don't want to get into that discussion.

We sacked Emery 6 months too late at the very minimum. He never was a good fit for Arsenal and the fact that he's not in the job today—proves that.

Get over it. He was a lame-ass manager who left us worse than he found us.

Rockape wrote:The Ozil contract was signed on Wengers watch and was left to cause havoc.

Reports have it that Wenger was against that big-money deal for Ozil. It was Gazidis who pushed for it.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:13 pm

Angelito wrote:Literally, nobody is bringing up injuries as an excuse here. Where are you getting that from?

The post I was replying to did use Alexis leaving and a rule that meant we missed Auba as excuses. Maybe not injuries, but still 'if wenger still had player x' or 'if player y was available'. Its all bs that I was pointing out could equally be used to defend emery (still would be bs though).
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby NovaGB » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:50 pm

I wish Wenger was in charge now, the players he had from 2006 until he left were as mediocre as the ones we have now, lots of talent but not mega stars, the difference is he managed to keep us in the top 4 until his final last 2 seasons, since he left we have looked awful.

I don't give any fucks if thats unpopular :)
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby VCC » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:30 pm

NovaGB wrote:I wish Wenger was in charge now, the players he had from 2006 until he left were as mediocre as the ones we have now, lots of talent but not mega stars, the difference is he managed to keep us in the top 4 until his final last 2 seasons, since he left we have looked awful.

If AW was still to be manager we would be in a similar possition BUT the toxicity of the club would be through the roof, that is the factor to why it's best he has gone, when we have some success (which could well of been this season with the FA cup until covid ) the fan base may hopefully unite again. But AW had become a modelA in a sports car race
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby NovaGB » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:09 pm

VCC wrote:
NovaGB wrote:I wish Wenger was in charge now, the players he had from 2006 until he left were as mediocre as the ones we have now, lots of talent but not mega stars, the difference is he managed to keep us in the top 4 until his final last 2 seasons, since he left we have looked awful.

If AW was still to be manager we would be in a similar possition BUT the toxicity of the club would be through the roof, that is the factor to why it's best he has gone, when we have some success (which could well of been this season with the FA cup until covid ) the fan base may hopefully unite again. But AW had become a modelA in a sports car race

He was definitely past it by the end (As was George Graham)
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby NovaGB » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:44 pm

I do wonder what Wenger could do with players like Pepe and Ceballos, i think he'd bring out the best in them.
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club