Robin van Persie ~ The Flying Dutchman

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal,
or come in and read all about your beloved club Arsenal.

Re: Robin van Persie ~ The Flying Dutchman

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:34 pm

We hardly "ruined" them.

It was a 2-1 come from behind win.

Invincibles Never Die
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Angelito » Sun May 12, 2019 4:02 pm

Robin van Persie's final game as a professional ended in defeat as Feyenoord were beaten by ADO Den Haag.

The 35-year-old, who made his debut for the Rotterdam club as a 17-year-old, scored 50 goals in 102 appearances for the Netherlands.

In England, van Persie won an FA Cup with Arsenal and a Premier League title at Manchester United.

His 144 Premier League goals make him the highest-scoring Dutchman in the competition.

Erik Falkenburg put Den Haag ahead at the De Kuip stadium on Sunday, before Sheraldo Becker doubled the visitors' lead 13 minutes into the second half.

Van Persie will not feature against Fortuna Sittard in Feyenoord's final game of the season on Wednesday - a match which was originally due to be played on 28 April.

However, the Dutch FA decided to cancel a full round of fixtures prior to Ajax's Champions League semi-final clash against Tottenham to give Erik ten Hag's team "at least two full days of rest between games".

Feyenoord manager Giovanni van Bronckhorst, whose side are guaranteed to finish third in the Eredivisie, confirmed last week that van Persie's last match would be against Den Haag.

Good luck, Flying Dutchman.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Tony_Adams » Sun May 12, 2019 4:10 pm

Unlucky to play for us when he did, one of the best players in the world at the time but will be remembered by Arsenal fans (including myself) as a nearly-man.
Tony_Adams
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sun May 12, 2019 4:25 pm

Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Phil71 » Sun May 12, 2019 4:33 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:Unlucky to play for us when he did, one of the best players in the world at the time but will be remembered by Arsenal fans (including myself) as a nearly-man.

...and a treacherous piece of shit.
Phil71
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby aniym » Sun May 12, 2019 4:46 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:Unlucky to play for us when he did, one of the best players in the world at the time but will be remembered by Arsenal fans (including myself) as a nearly-man.

At any other club, he wouldve been a permanent bench option like Sturridge. He didn't have a top season until he was 27yo, most clubs wouldn't have been so patient with him. Unfortunate that he split his peak between us and Utd.
aniym
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun May 12, 2019 4:57 pm

My favourite player ever.

Also the most aesthetic and technically elegant player I've ever seen.

Invincibles Never Die
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby looper007 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:26 am

He's a weird case is RVP. His last season with us was the best I've seen in the Emirates era. He dragged a bang average team to top 4. But even though we understood why he wanted out to join Utd, I can see both sides of the coin with some disliking him and some still rating him.

His legacy at Utd is probably getting stronger then at Arsenal cause his goals bought them their last title since then, even though he did nothing else after that season. Feyenoord seem fine with him. I don't know about Fenerbache. Even though I think he was massively injury prone and probably for the amount of time we stood behind him, he could have given us another season or two. No player is loyal anymore unless you are winning stuff. So he did what was best for him and it proved him right. I doubt he cares if we're upset at him or not.

For me if Cesc is welcomed back by the fan's then RVP should be too. But that's just my opinion.
looper007
Michael Thomas

Previous

Return to The History Of Arsenal FC