17/10/20 | Manchester City 1-0 Arsenal | Premier League

Chat here before, during and after the match.
Also get the squad news as it happens.

Re: 17/10/20 | Manchester City 1-0 Arsenal | Premier League

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:06 pm

starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:It was a close game. Nothing to go crazy over considering the last time we faced them we beat them 2-0.

Last time we played them at Man City we lost 3-0

I literally mean the last game we faced them which was the FA Cup semi final game.
Power n Glory
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby greengoonerie » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:18 pm

I was extremely frustrated after this game, given:

1. City's weak lineup
2. the chances we missed
3. Aubameyangs attitude.

I don't quite get the "positive spin" being put on the fact that we only lost 1-nil. we don't get anything extra for losing tbh. We had a chance to not lose against a top 6 side, but didn't take it. That's disappointing. 29 games in the league without a win against any of them is really extraordinary, and frankly damning of Wenger and Emry for the most part.

City were without (thankfully) their best player.

Auba IMO stank from start to finish due to a combination of dreadful attitude, and Pep putting Walker out beside Auba on the left, which completely rendered Auba impotent. (If you haven't seen the analysis by WWW on MOTD, check it out). When auba DID go central (for about 10 mins) he fluffed a simple one on one with the keeper. FS.

Willian - what is his purpose? I do like that he runs around till he can't run no more, and his energy did cover for the missing Centre forward, but is that what Arteta sets him out to do?

Pepe is and always will be limited and barely worth 7m instead of the 70m turkey we bought. Another very poor showing for me. How he gets on the pitch ahead of Laca/Nketiah and hopefully a resurgent Martinelli is purely down to his price tag imo.

City are probably at their poorest in years this season and Leicester and Leeds proved how to frustrate them. They also struggled for long periods against Wolves. We had chances and blew them which was frustrating.

Leno gifted their goal (again) too which was annoying. that said he then made a super save a little later on.

Saka was MOTM by a mile, with Tierney also performing really well. I like those two working together. interesting that both of these players showed no fear and attacked City when running with the ball. Ceballos was kept under guard most of the game, as Pep knows hes our principal playmaker. Pep is no fool.

I think Luiz (apart from the free kick) Xhaka, Gabriel and Bellerin also acquitted themselves really well, against a very fast pacy City attack.

Hopefully Arteta will have a word with our skipper about his need to improve - for the good of the team.
greengoonerie
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Santi » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:22 pm

Good post apart from the part about Bellerin :clap:
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:23 pm

Auba criticised fir missing a one on one but Saka praised despite missing one?
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby greengoonerie » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:55 pm

Ach wrote:Auba criticised fir missing a one on one but Saka praised despite missing one?
No.

Did you read my post? if you did, you'd see I criticized Auba for more than missing a one on one. Far more.

Did you see the game? If you did, you'd see why I praised Saka for his performance. He was outstanding and led.

here are some other ancillary reasons:
Auba is 31. Saka is 19. I'd expect a more mature player to behave more maturely in front of goal.
Auba is a striker. Saka isn't. I'd expect a striker to score ahead of a midfielder on a one on one.
Auba is our captain. Saka isn't. I'd expect a captain to lead by example, rather than leaving it to a 19 year old to lead.
Auba has played 380+ games. Saka has played 36. I'd expect a more experienced player to use experience on the pitch.
Auba is Arsenal's highest paid player. I expect him to perform as if he is when he's on the pitch.

Perhaps I expect too much of a player with the attributes listed above......
greengoonerie
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Ach » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:13 pm

It's more the you pointed out the miss but don't even mention the saka miss.

Didn't watch the game. Was at work. Saw the highlights and don't think they even showed auba one on one. He created the saka one though.

Can't comment on attitude but seen plenty of his games for us and his attitude has never been in question so hopefully just a blip.

He'll be fine. Least of our problems.

Disagree about Leno as well. Great save from a close distance. From that close you don't think about parrying it away, you just stop the shot and hope team mates do their job. They didn't.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby yadunoe » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:35 pm

Ach wrote:It's more the you pointed out the miss but don't even mention the saka miss.

Didn't watch the game. Was at work. Saw the highlights and don't think they even showed auba one on one. He created the saka one though.

Can't comment on attitude but seen plenty of his games for us and his attitude has never been in question so hopefully just a blip.

He'll be fine. Least of our problems.

Disagree about Leno as well. Great save from a close distance. From that close you don't think about parrying it away, you just stop the shot and hope team mates do their job. They didn't.

i disagree emi would of parried that out of danger or grabbed the shot emi is much better then leno imo emi is better at commanding the box and he always holds onto shots or parries it our of the way and emi is better at distribution
yadunoe
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Ach » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:39 pm

No keeper is catching that lol
Ach
SE13
SE13

Previous

Return to Arsenal Live Match Day Chat