11/08/19 | Newcastle 0-1 Arsenal | Premier League

Re: 11/08/19 | Newcastle vs Arsenal | Premier League

Postby starmandb » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:26 am

alexafc12 wrote:Jose: "People say my teams are boring. My answer to those people is watch Arsenal with Unai Emery. "

Called Arsenal's display timid, not enough aggression and not the performance of a team wanting to win a trophy.

That's the mourinho who never won a league game at Newcastle
Lost 5 times there
Drew 3
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Phil71 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:34 am

starmandb wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:Jose: "People say my teams are boring. My answer to those people is watch Arsenal with Unai Emery. "

Called Arsenal's display timid, not enough aggression and not the performance of a team wanting to win a trophy.

Lost 5 times there
Drew 3

He was bad enough when he was a manager. Now he's a pundit we'll get a lot more of his bullshine.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby starmandb » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:10 am

Nuggets wrote:WTF did they get 4 mins from ?

4 mins 15 seconds for substitutions
1 min 8 seconds for goal celebration
They didn't play enough
They never do
starmandb

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:32 am

starmandb wrote:

Lost 5 times there
Drew 3

True, but it's hard to argue with his assessment of us against Newcastle.
He's correct.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Re: 11/08/19 | Newcastle 0-1 Arsenal | Premier League

Postby starmandb » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:12 pm

Losmeister wrote:
Fran Solo wrote:The weather made it hard for anyone to control the ball. Not even a glimpse of brilliance from the new players because of it. Still glad we get our first away win and also the first clean sheet. We need more.

was gonna say... ceballos looked way more lively playing in the hot USA

He didn't play in the USA
He played at the Emirates v Lyon and in Barcelona
starmandb

Postby starmandb » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:28 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
starmandb wrote:

Lost 5 times there
Drew 3

True, but it's hard to argue with his assessment of us against Newcastle.
He's correct.

I will argue
I have seen some great Arsenal sides struggle in games on certain days
All gets forgotten in the rose tinted mire of legends never having a bad day
First night game I ever went to in the 70/71 double season
Was a 1-0 win v Huddersfield a ray Kennedy goal in a fairly average performance in front of a fairly average crowd
Only those there saw it as it was not on tv
Unlike today's games that are analysed to within an inch of their lives
starmandb

Postby Losmeister » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:26 pm

He didn't play in the USA
He played at the Emirates v Lyon and in Barcelona

my bad. fanx.
anyway, looked better in non soggy conditions.
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Losmeister » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:28 pm

and to follow up on Starmands response to Ze..
how many times have we lost to thoroughly blah performances to Chelski, Pool, Manure, et al.. who somehow nick the deciding goal?

and they get lauded for " knowing how to get the result" despite how much woodork we hit or how many dodgy calls benefit the enemy
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:32 pm

Losmeister wrote:and to follow up on Starmands response to Ze..
how many times have we lost to thoroughly blah performances to Chelski, Pool, Manure, et al.. who somehow nick the deciding goal?

and they get lauded for " knowing how to get the result" despite how much woodork we hit or how many dodgy calls benefit the enemy

Considering how we played last season, I think most are looking for some signs of free flowing, entertaining football and a convincing win. We saw plenty of games last season where we scrapped through, won ugly and got the points despite a flat performance. It's got to be a little disheartening to see the same sort of performance for the opening game despite the 3 points. Winning ugly wasn't an issue for last season. We won plenty like that, we just never looked convincing for most games.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby arsenal228 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:08 pm

Watched again, decent start, look forward to Burnley on Sat.
arsenal228
Liam Brady

Postby yadunoe » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:13 am

relase auba laca pepe the spell of attacking football
yadunoe
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby StLGooner » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:49 am

Power n Glory wrote:

Considering how we played last season, I think most are looking for some signs of free flowing, entertaining football and a convincing win. We saw plenty of games last season where we scrapped through, won ugly and got the points despite a flat performance. It's got to be a little disheartening to see the same sort of performance for the opening game despite the 3 points. Winning ugly wasn't an issue for last season. We won plenty like that, we just never looked convincing for most games.

Exactly.

This is the entertainment business after all. Nothing wrong with wanting to be a bit more entertained too. Yes winning is more important than anything, but so far Emery hasn't shown that he coaches very exciting football at all.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Phil71 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:22 pm

StLGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Exactly.

This is the entertainment business after all. Nothing wrong with wanting to be a bit more entertained too. Yes winning is more important than anything, but so far Emery hasn't shown that he coaches very exciting football at all.

Our biggest problem before he arrived was in defense. In fact it still is.

For me I think we have to start winning first, and worry about doing it entertainingly later.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby StLGooner » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:34 pm

Phil71 wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Exactly.

Our biggest problem before he arrived was in defense. In fact it still is.

For me I think we have to start winning first, and worry about doing it entertainingly later.

Sometimes when you start winning, it makes it more entertaining. But I don't think you will be too successful, or at least as successful as we all want to be by winning ugly the majority of the time. How long can winning ugly last? It just doesn't seem like a recipe for consistent success.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Matchday Chat 2019-20