18/07/19 | Arsenal 2-1 Bayern Munich | Pre-season Friendly

Re: 18/07/19 | Arsenal v Bayern Munuch | Pre-season Friendly

Postby Zenith » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:06 am

Great atmosphere at the DHSP, especially after Nketiah scored the late winner.

Going by the crowd's chants it'd be safe to assume thousands of Arsenal fans were present.

Clearly outnumbered the Bayern supporters. :arse flag.gif:
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Godlop » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:10 am

Özil played well today for his low standards these days but it doesn't change anything.
He's to slow, to weak, not direct enough, not hardworking enough, can't finish.
How are you going to fix that?

I ask me if Emery still doesn't see Bielik in his plans after another masterful Mustafi performance today.
عمود اضاءة
Godlop
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby mel4 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:11 am

At the end of the day
Aubameyang was the best on display
Ozil was good and better than the rest
Eddie just like against Colorado is having a good president season
Burton also impressed.
Willock also impressed but seems to be a 60minutes player at best.
Xhaka though a despised player still shows we need him for transition. Emery needs to find a balance with him in the middle of find a better player.

AMN got exposed as usual. Dude should not play anywhere in the defense. Not LWB, not LB.
Sead can never be better than a LWB
Mustafi has snail brain for a footballer. Again poor marking led to their equalizer, afterwards he blamed some imaginary enemies.
Mkhy... can we release on a free? Worst player on the pitch for both sides.

........ 1 - nil to The Arsenal
mel4
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Zenith » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:12 am

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Zenith » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:23 am

mel4 wrote:At the end of the day
Burton also impressed.
Xhaka though a despised player still shows we need him for transition. Emery needs to find a balance with him in the middle of find a better player.

AMN got exposed as usual. Dude should not play anywhere in the defense. Not LWB, not LB.
Mustafi has snail brain for a footballer. Again poor marking led to their equalizer, afterwards he blamed some imaginary enemies.

No love for Tyreece John-Jules ?

Thought he did great to set up Nketiah for the winner.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby mel4 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:29 am

Zenith wrote:
mel4 wrote:At the end of the day
Burton also impressed.

No love for Tyreece John-Jules ?

Thought he did great to set up Nketiah for the winner.

Yeah Tyreece did well. Missed a sitter (almost) too. My list is kinda for my most impressed players and the terrible ones

........ 1 - nil to The Arsenal
mel4
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Fenice » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:01 am

List is fair. Really agree with Mikhi. Wish we could get rid.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Goonerfromafrica » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:46 am

This match served as an indicator as to how valuable counter-attacking football can be for us given the make up of our squad. Ozil's work rate was a big improvement, maybe all the ridiculing is finally getting to him.
Goonerfromafrica
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby CynicalGooner » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:07 am

Auba was an absolute menace in the first half. I really think we should play him as a right forward this season. It's the best way to fit both him and Laca in the team because he's not good on the left and I think Emery agrees since we are going in hard for left wingers.

Ozil was interesting to watch. He was working harder than usual but then it was a meaningless friendly against a german club he probably wanted to prove a point. When he puts in a shift in an important game then that will be progress.

General thoughts about the youth is a lot of them are not going to make it at the top level but that is common sense. It's just this group are being overhyped a bit. I don't particularly rate Willock, Eddie (despite scoring, good lad) is one dimensional and greedy and none of the midfielders look very good. But hyping them up and giving them game time is beneficial because we can sell them on for decent money.

I think Saka and Martinelli are real prospects though.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby StLGooner » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:43 am

CynicalGooner wrote:Auba was an absolute menace in the first half. I really think we should play him as a right forward this season. It's the best way to fit both him and Laca in the team because he's not good on the left and I think Emery agrees since we are going in hard for left wingers.

Ozil was interesting to watch. He was working harder than usual but then it was a meaningless friendly against a german club he probably wanted to prove a point. When he puts in a shift in an important game then that will be progress.

General thoughts about the youth is a lot of them are not going to make it at the top level but that is common sense. It's just this group are being overhyped a bit. I don't particularly rate Willock, Eddie (despite scoring, good lad) is one dimensional and greedy and none of the midfielders look very good. But hyping them up and giving them game time is beneficial because we can sell them on for decent money.

Pretty much this, although I think those youngsters deserve more time to be evaluated. We seem to be in a position to give some of them some good playing time in the first team.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Phil71 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:07 pm

Is it me being over optimistic, or have we seen something positively different in these two games?

The players seem to have more oomph, and are playing a bit quicker - even Ozil! He usually turns in a wide circle, but was spinning on sixpences.

Could it be the introduction of new players into the squad - both younger players and those we have brought in? Has that energised the rest of the players? Do they feel that they have to step up to help these youngsters? Or maybe they feel that their place is threatened and they have to compete with them? And for the new players, they are all playing for a chance of getting regular games.

My glass is definitely half full at the moment.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Angelito » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:13 pm

^ Don't get your hopes high until at least 8-10 matchdays into the Prem campaign.

We're Arsenal. There's always the likelihood of losing our opening game of the season and it all comes crashing down after that.

That said, I sincerely hope Emery manages the squad a lot better than he did last season. There's no point playing first-teamers in the Europa League group stages. It only ends up tiring them during the final run-in, especially since we have a good starting 11 but a not-so-good rest of the squad.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Nuggets » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:15 pm

Phil71 wrote:Is it me being over optimistic, or have we seen something positively different in these two games?

The players seem to have more oomph, and are playing a bit quicker - even Ozil! He usually turns in a wide circle, but was spinning on sixpences.

Could it be the introduction of new players into the squad - both younger players and those we have brought in? Has that energised the rest of the players? Do they feel that they have to step up to help these youngsters? Or maybe they feel that their place is threatened and they have to compete with them? And for the new players, they are all playing for a chance of getting regular games.

My glass is definitely half full at the moment.

Wishful thinking Phil lol
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:16 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:Auba was an absolute menace in the first half. I really think we should play him as a right forward this season. It's the best way to fit both him and Laca in the team because he's not good on the left and I think Emery agrees since we are going in hard for left wingers.

Ozil working hard to close down and tackle is a bad sign.
He's best when he forgets about tackling or chasing back and just drifts into space and focus on creating.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:49 pm

Just finished watching extended highlights. Most of it seemed to be about Aubameyang and he was playing on the right :sneaky2:
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2019-20