18/08/18 | Chelsea 3-2 Arsenal | Premier League

Re: 18/08/18 | Chelsea 3-2 Arsenal | Premier League

Postby Fenice » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:48 pm

Aaron being a poor man’s Lampard is the best take I’ve seen on here in a while.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Re: 18/08/18 | Chelsea vs Arsenal | Premier League

Postby island_gunner » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:48 pm

island_gunner wrote:I really respect City and acknowledge that they are a level above us. maybe I'm in denial but I don't think we are that far off from Spurs, United and Chelsea so with that being said I really think we are getting a draw or win today.

Well safe to say I saw nothing from Chelsea to change my mind :rolleyes:
A lil annoyed we didn't get a result against that Average team
island_gunner
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Ach » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:49 pm

Im staying positive

We're a work in progress

Wengers disasters wont vanish in 2 games. 2 incredibly tough games but we haven't been disgraced in either. Put Wenger in charge of these 2 and we concede 6 in both as we have done in the past to both opponents.

We showed some fight today. I don't dispute the result, Chelsea were better even with our sitters missed.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:50 pm

Zedie wrote:f**k it. I'll be over here on my own appreciating that emery has had 2 competitive games to undo 22 years of philosophy vs the champions and former champions to start his career.

Am I the only one who isn't surprised that we aren't a cohesive unit? Am I the only one who remembers going 2-0 down in the first 30 mins at Stamford bridge and then literally laying down to get pummelled further for the remaining 60 mins?

f**k sake, guardiola needed 300m and 2 seasons to get to where he is now with city.

Conte got destroyed by us 3-0 months into the start of his tenure then went on to win the league.

Mourinho has spent the same as guardiola to bore the life out of everyone and get nowhere near the title.

I get it's disappointing and there's lots to criticise but, people need to chill out.

Emerys not an actual wizard. Use some restraint, show some patience, let the man work.
:hail: Good post!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby indy23 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:51 pm

Zedie wrote:f**k it. I'll be over here on my own appreciating that emery has had 2 competitive games to undo 22 years of philosophy vs the champions and former champions to start his career.

Am I the only one who isn't surprised that we aren't a cohesive unit? Am I the only one who remembers going 2-0 down in the first 30 mins at Stamford bridge and then literally laying down to get pummelled further for the remaining 60 mins?

f**k sake, guardiola needed 300m and 2 seasons to get to where he is now with city.

Conte got destroyed by us 3-0 months into the start of his tenure then went on to win the league.

Mourinho has spent the same as guardiola to bore the life out of everyone and get nowhere near the title.

I get it's disappointing and there's lots to criticise but, people need to chill out.

Emerys not an actual wizard. Use some restraint, show some patience, let the man work.

Agreed. And we also need 300 million. Can't rest easy in the summer window. I want big players.
indy23
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:52 pm

indy23 wrote:
Mike Dean wrote:
Sims wrote:
Tony_Adams wrote:I genuinely can't decide if I'm happy with that performance or not.

what reason is there to be happy about apart from guendouzi and iwobi

we look even worse defensively than last season

This.

This team has no identity at the moment.

They are playing schoolyard stuff and it seems Emery has gone away from some of the things that worked for him in the preaseason.

Absolutely bizzare lineups that get this team in a hole.

We knew that our defense is going to kill us but Emery is failing to maximize the offensive talent he has on this club.

Emery is failing? Our 70 million striker and the guy we swapped Alexis for missed 3 tap ins my grand ma could have tucked in. Emery has been here two games and has been given a bums transfer kit along with wengers failed players.

Exactly.
But like I said, I don't care about results right now. It's going to take time to reverse the decline.

Gendouzi
Torreira

Build a new team around that midfield 2.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:53 pm

I am with you mate. We do not have the budget to buy top draw players off the shelf and even those managers of our rival clubs had that luxury have had to endure some humiliation early on in their reign.

Had we tucked in those simple chances we would be on the other end of the result.

Emery got the starting lineup wrong but the subs were spot on. Hopefully he will be a quick learner. One more thing Iwobi was a brave choice to start the game and he had a very good game. Not all of his decisions were poor. I am just thinking he hasn't yet honed in on his first choice eleven.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby antfosfosant » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:02 pm

Abso fecking lutely.
antfosfosant
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:02 pm

I'm not giving up yet, we could of won that game.

But I just want to see this bizarre way we can't keep the ball and we look disjointed.

This is the prem, we need our players to be up for the fight, not get overrun.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Losmeister » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:04 pm

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:

I am with you mate. We do not have the budget to buy top draw players off the shelf and even those managers of our rival clubs had that luxury have had to endure some humiliation early on in their reign.

Had we tucked in those simple chances we would be on the other end of the result.

Emery got the starting lineup wrong but the subs were spot on. Hopefully he will be a quick learner. One more thing Iwobi was a brave choice to start the game and he had a very good game. Not all of his decisions were poor. I am just thinking he hasn't yet honed in on his first choice eleven.

quality post from zedie.

unai pulled xhaka at laf. that much quicker than what we've seen.

we gotta be able to get ozil the ball in transition.

and sofrt out who the starting back 4 are.

3 missed sitters is ALOT.

now we needa see leno as GK

and licht starting
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Marsbar100 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:07 pm

Anyone would be struggling in his situation, showing some positives though
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Luzh 22 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:17 pm

We didn't get played off the park, we were sloppy in defence, and sloppy with finishing.

Could have quite easily have finished 6-3 to us.
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby HalHartley » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:24 pm

Really frustrating to be 2 nil down at the 20 min mark and thinking we could be on the end of a right old spanking till turning it arorund before the end of the half. Only to lose it due to a third defensive mistake. Laca started it but mistakes can happen in giving the ball away, it is the defenders being inept in not dealing with it that is the bigger issue.

Torriera needs to start asap, do not get why we did no put laca on at the same time has him. Iwobi had a decent game but still looks nervous at times in passing. could of scored more and won the game but auba and few others missing sitters
HalHartley
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby arsenalpan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:48 pm

The only question I am going to ask Emery: why don't you give Torreira Guen and ozil a full 90 minutes play? If you want to try things you need to start with what you think could be the best, not the worst. If Torreira -Guen and ozil don't work, then you try xhaka and Ramsey, OK?
arsenalpan
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Zedie » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:50 pm

The important thing for me was that we kicked into life in the second part of the first half and in the second half Chelsea were struggling to break us.

The second half defensive display was pretty encouraging for me tbh.

As someone said above, a very sloppy pass from laca kick started a chain reaction and it's those errors that we have to address asap.

Having said that, once the system, philosophy and attacking/ defensive positioning clicks with the team, it will show.

They look like they're trying to remember it all on the fly at the moment, but soon enough it'll hopefully be like muscle memory.

Its like your driving skill in those first 10 lessons versus your driving skill in the 6th year of having passed your test.

On completely different ends of the scale.

At this moment, we're still working out how not to stall.

By Christmas we should be driving comfortably.

By August next year we should be drifting corners.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2018-19