11/08/17 | Arsenal 4-3 Leicester City | Premier League

Re: 11/08/17 | Arsenal 4-3 Leicester City | Premier League

Postby Zedie » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:36 am

Slint wrote:
Callum wrote:People moan about our centre backs despite knowing full well our best two are about to return

If this was our first choice back line I'd be worried but it's far from it

Last season we conceded 44 goals in the premier league with our best centre backs. Let that sink in...

It has nothing to do with centre backs, it's management....or lack of.

Last season we went through a horrendous run of poor form that lasted the second half of the season. We looked far better when we switched up and far more defensively solid.

Today, we looked like we were missing our 3 first choice centre backs. We also gifted them a goal through sheer stupidity and the other two were pure poor defending.

It remains to be seen how we will fare for the rest of the season but today wasn't as bad as some are making out considering in our entire defensive line we had one actual centre back.

Merts kos and mustafi will return and i reckon this formation and the new flexibility in changing it Wenger has shown could benefit us.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:02 am

Lots of negatives could be taken from this performance ,... but get past those and it's 3 points, and a come from behind confidence boosting win at that ....

Let's take the positives and not the negatives ... top of the League ...............
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Callum » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:59 am

Positives:

- 3 points on the opening day. Savour it because it doesn't happen often.
- Despite going behind twice we always looked dangerous and that we could score in a variety of ways. That we did will only serve as a massive confidence boost when we find ourselves behind again.
- Lacazette and Kolasinac look more than ready to come straight into the team.
- Wenger actually got his subs right today, even if it was pretty chaotic. Also proves we have some strength in depth even if there are concerns about the quality of our best XI.
- Giroud is the king. Imperative we don't sell him now.
- Won a tough, tough game without Alexis, Koscielny or Mustafi.

Concerns:

- Cech is beginning to show his age. Not too worried yet but we really need to hope today's performance doesn't become a regular thing.
- As much as I love Holding his inexperience showed today, although he'll likely be more comfortable alongside Kos and Mustafi.
- Elneny's a decent player but not cut out to play on a regular basis. We really could do with another centre-midfielder given Wilshere and Cazorla's injury woes.
- Shaky from set pieces.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Losmeister » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:54 am

for the hating on zhaka he assisted the equalizer and the winner.

btw- its de rigeur to just grab Ollies shirt and never gets a pen... so glad he scored and then landed on top of mguire. thats a MANS goal there.
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby gooney » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:02 am

I dont think el nenny was bad at all. But I feel he is one of those players who will always be the first to get blame. We had no defense in this match....that was the problem. The midfield in general controlled the match and only when they bypassed the midfield they causes us problems
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Callum » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:13 am

gooney wrote:I dont think el nenny was bad at all. But I feel he is one of those players who will always be the first to get blame. We had no defense in this match....that was the problem. The midfield in general controlled the match and only when they bypassed the midfield they causes us problems

I agree that he wasn't that bad, but he just doesn't do enough going forward when playing alongside someone like Xhaka.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby indy23 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:16 am

When was the last time we had that many attempts? Kinda exciting seeing 3 different cfs score.
indy23
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby mel4 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:30 am

Callum wrote:
gooney wrote:I dont think el nenny was bad at all. But I feel he is one of those players who will always be the first to get blame. We had no defense in this match....that was the problem. The midfield in general controlled the match and only when they bypassed the midfield they causes us problems

I agree that he wasn't that bad, but he just doesn't do enough going forward when playing alongside someone like Xhaka.

He actually did enough going forward. Provided the first assist. Its only when Xhaka decides to play his brain fart tight passes that El Nenny got exposed. Both of them can actually play together if Xhaka is not on his stupidity zone.

...and again, we really need to look at Cech. His decisions these days worry me.

........ 1 - nil to The Arsenal
mel4
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby gooney » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:52 am

Callum wrote:

i think he does do enough going forward. he is no ramsey, but ramsey will leave xhaka exposed big time. For me the biggest problem is xhaka doesnt do enough defensively which el nenny is epxected to cover and at the same time support the attack. I seen people even blame el nenny for the second goal saying he put xhaka under pressure. If xhaka is under pressure from that pass, then we are in big trouble
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Zedie » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:18 am

gooney wrote:
Callum wrote:

i think he does do enough going forward. he is no ramsey, but ramsey will leave xhaka exposed big time. For me the biggest problem is xhaka doesnt do enough defensively which el nenny is epxected to cover and at the same time support the attack. I seen people even blame el nenny for the second goal saying he put xhaka under pressure. If xhaka is under pressure from that pass, then we are in big trouble

Come on gooney. Watch the goal again. He's rolled a slow ball to an unsightwd xhaka who had a man full sprint pressing him from behind and was on top of him. In their own phases of that move, they chose to make the only simple pass they thought they could and neither thought of the second option: t**t the ball as hard as you can.

Xhaka could have done better but elneny didn't do him any favours in the first place
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:24 am

Xhaka was terrible. Elneny kept things ticking for us, which is important as Xhaka can not be trusted to do that job as he lost the ball 4 times in the first 30 minutes. I hope we get a quality CM as soon as possible but its not happening.
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby gooney » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:15 am

Zedie wrote:
gooney wrote:
Callum wrote:

Come on gooney. Watch the goal again. He's rolled a slow ball to an unsightwd xhaka who had a man full sprint pressing him from behind and was on top of him. In their own phases of that move, they chose to make the only simple pass they thought they could and neither thought of the second option: t**t the ball as hard as you can.

Xhaka could have done better but elneny didn't do him any favours in the first place

Players get those types of passes all the time. El nenny got 2 passes that was worse and controlled them and moved the ball on. Xhaka could controlled the ball and run with it. But as soon as hr frels pressure he panics and releases the ball. I expect an arsenal central midfielder to control a ball when pressured. Even if he controlled and lost the ball it would be beytrr than basically passing to their free winger. I stand by that until el nenny got subbed he was better than xhaka
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Sims » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:16 am

think they were both pretty shit up to that point but xhaka was a level above both their previous 60 mins once rambo came on
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Fenice » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:23 pm

We were in for keepers early on with the rumors swirling. Showed those rumors not far off. Surely we can get someone?
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:35 pm

Fenice wrote:We were in for keepers early on with the rumors swirling. Showed those rumors not far off. Surely we can get someone?

I'd get Butland in now (or if meeting the homegrown rule isn't an issue, a Leno or Oblak) and offload whoever's easier to sell between Ospina and Cech
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2017-18