02/10/2016 | Burnley 0-1 Arsenal | Premier League

Re: 02/10/2016 | Burnley 0-1 Arsenal | Premier League

Postby Pudpop » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:04 am

GoonerAlexis wrote:
Callum wrote:
GoonerAlexis wrote:Lol, if this happened the other way around, this place would be fuming

No shit.

Ref was bought out
PL conspiracy
Everyone's against us.

You know, I think refs helps helped Leicester last season. If they're not helping us this season, I don't know what they're doing

Agreed. Pretty sure Wenger has been pocketing that 8m a year so he could buy off the refs for his last year in charge.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby immsun » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:13 am

Oh Man.What an escape.God gave a gift to Wenger for his 20 years of service to arsenal.If we would have lost this,we would have been labelled same old same old again.Thank god we got a win.The expression on players faces said it all.Everyone was over joyed in the end.Look at Alexis and Wenger smiling at the very end.Said it all what it meant.

Ozil had a shocker of a game and still played better than the Ox.I would have hit Ox on the head for that shocking pass in the end.Although it was because of him we got a corner and a goal.So forgiven :P

We need to get the first goal in such games in the first half itself.When it hits 70 mark,these kind of teams just sit back all the time with 11 players defending.Wenger needs to find a way for such games.Dont know why but he didnt get up the whole game from his seat unlike the previous 3 games.Strange isnt it?As this was the game we lacked the fire power.Surely he could have shouted at some.

All in all,a nice gift to Wenger :)
immsun
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby arsenalpan » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:30 pm

If we had started the game like what we played in the last 10 minutes we would have won.
arsenalpan
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:03 pm

Kos' goal not a handball btw, according to former referee Dermot Gallagher

Ref Watch: Laurent Koscielny's winning goal was correctly awarded

INCIDENT No 1: Laurent Koscielny scores winning goal

SCENARIO: With Arsenal chasing a winning goal from the final attack of the game, the ball gets crossed in from the right and a combination of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Koscielny force it home. Replays showed the final touch came off the Arsenal defender's hand.

DERMOT'S VERDICT: Correct decision

DERMOT SAYS: First thing to say is he's not offside from the cross and flick-on. I think it's Walcott with the flick-on, so it's not offside. Handball has to be deliberate, but I don't think it's handball.

It struck him and we are stuck with the rule where it has to be deliberate. People said his arms were up but that's because he used his arms for elevation. He has actually mis-kicked it, it has flown up and hit him, so it's not hand to ball, it's ball to hand. There is nothing wrong in the law with what happened.

Source: http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... ly-awarded

Says Mustafi should have been carded for what he did with the referee as well
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby KG3 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:41 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Arsene Nose wrote:Ozil and Cazorla were poor. Easily dispossessed and wasteful when in possession.
Alexis dropped too far into midfield to get things moving.
Mustafi was skating on thin ice with the ref.
We missed Giroud's presence in the box.

All in all, a very poor game.

Missed Giroud's presence? how many games like this has he been marked out of the game?

He'd of been sat in the box with the whole Burnley team around him and the CB's would of been hip to hip with him in the box the whole game.

We won the exact way I called, we couldn't play through so we needed to cross and go around, there was no danger no matter how many attempts we failed because the ball was getting kicked away and it was landing straight back to Arsenal players because Burnley refused to go up field, the last 10 minutes was exactly the way they should of played from before the 2nd half or at least the start of the 2nd.

Yes Giroud's height would of helped for sure, he is the best with crosses, but our team needs to learn how to get in the box for crosses without Giroud if Sanchez is going to be our go to striker, we can't just say "Oh they're parking the bus so we can't have Sanchez as ST".

Plus all you need against a team doing that is one goal, as soon as they're behind they have to come forward and the game plan is out of the window.

Sad tactics really, people saying Burnley deserved a point, for what? not playing football? we shouldn't congratulate anti-football.

Spot on DG
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Re: 02/10/2016 | Burnley vs Arsenal | Premier League

Postby Zenith » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:08 am

Zedie wrote:
Zenith wrote:
Zedie wrote:Gooooooaaaaallllll

Walcott headed assist

Ball comes off both Kos hands.

I'm dying

Quite possibly the most comical late winner ever scored by Arsenal.

That was an omnishambles of a goal and I f***ing love it.

The commentators talking up Burnley for their defensive display.

Literally everyone thinking f**k it, 2 points dropped.

Koscielny through that whole action was like:

"Afjsksocuddnslslrhdhebamapld. oh shit GGGGOOOOOOAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL"

The way the ball pops up and hits both hands then his face, completely messing up the keeper

Burnley fans on immediate suicide watch.

Ref was like "ahh feck it" and blows the whistle.

Tottenham fans had to stop their celebrations.

:clap:
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Callum » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:59 am

This game was the perfect example of why we still need Olivier Giroud over the course of a season or, at the very least, as an alternative option to Alexis. We always want to aim to play fast, attacking football like we did against Chelsea and Basel, but the truth is that no matter how we play if we stick too ridgidly to a singular method of playing the game then teams will learn how to stop us. It's been a joy to watch Alexis, Walcott and Iwobi combine so effectively in recent matches and for us to look so fantastic when going forward, but we will always have to deal with sides like Burnley who stick ten men behind the ball and negate our play by being organised, disciplined and restricting the space we have to operate in.

The truth of the matter is that we got incredibly lucky yesterday. Burnley had next to nothing in attack with Gray suspended and Vokes left to try and make chances for himself but they still came the closest to scoring with the header coming off the bar late on. On another day we lose that 1-0 and we couldn't say that we didn't deserve to lose if that was the way things went. Alexis consistently dropped deep leaving nobody in the box to challenge the Burnley centre-backs and with Ozil and Iwobi off form we created next to nothing. This will happen from time to time and it's on these occasions having someone like Giroud, who can score goals with his head and actually give a deep-lying back line to content with, is absolutely vital.

The best teams are the ones who can hurt sides in a number of ways. If we can use Alexis (and/ or Perez) as a regular starter up front and for that to be a consistently efficient way of playing then that's fantastic, but it's naive to think utilising a target man like Giroud from time-to-time is something we can do without. Variety is the spice of life, as they say, and that applies to football too.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:14 am

Callum I think the only reason we "got lucky" is because we didn't switch up our game plan earlier to crossing into the box, had we done that at half time rather than the last 10mins, we probably would of got a goal earlier.

Does Giroud increase your chances from crosses in the box, sure, but as the main threat he'll be heavily marked so my main point is with or without Giroud the other players in our attack need to learn how to get in the box and get on the end of balls coming in from wide.

You don't see Man City subbing Aguero in games like that, they just adjust, our issue is we adjusted through desperation rather than instruction from the manager, Wenger should remember this lesson for next time.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:34 am

DiamondGooner wrote:Callum I think the only reason we "got lucky" is because we didn't switch up our game plan earlier to crossing into the box, had we done that at half time rather than the last 10mins, we probably would of got a goal earlier.

Does Giroud increase your chances from crosses in the box, sure, but as the main threat he'll be heavily marked so my main point is with or without Giroud the other players in our attack need to learn how to get in the box and get on the end of balls coming in from wide.

You don't see Man City subbing Aguero in games like that, they just adjust, our issue is we adjusted through desperation rather than instruction from the manager, Wenger should remember this lesson for next time.

Who would we even be crossing too though? Alexis was constantly playing deep. Ozil wasn't making runs into the box because he was trying to create chances outside of it. The only reason we had Walcott there to head the ball on was because it was from a play right from a corner. There was literally nobody to cross to in the Burnley area for 90% of the game.

It was the perfect game for Giroud. Our game plan wasn't working, and we needed an alternative option that wasn't there because Giroud was injured. City can get away with it more because Aguero is one of the best players in the world and plays further forward much more than Alexis does, who's natural instinct is to always drop deep. Over the years they have utilised other strikers too such as Dzeko who always gave them something different, and I remember there was a period where he had a habit of coming off the bench to win games for City when they needed an alternative.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Pudpop » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:44 am

I think we missed Ramsey more than Giroud. Hollywood Ramsey would have been in Burnley's box for 85 minutes of that game, and we would have sent in plenty of crosses
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby immsun » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:59 am

immsun
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:05 am

Callum wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:Callum I think the only reason we "got lucky" is because we didn't switch up our game plan earlier to crossing into the box, had we done that at half time rather than the last 10mins, we probably would of got a goal earlier.

Who would we even be crossing too though? Alexis was constantly playing deep. Ozil wasn't making runs into the box because he was trying to create chances outside of it. The only reason we had Walcott there to head the ball on was because it was from a play right from a corner. There was literally nobody to cross to in the Burnley area for 90% of the game.

It was the perfect game for Giroud. Our game plan wasn't working, and we needed an alternative option that wasn't there because Giroud was injured. City can get away with it more because Aguero is one of the best players in the world and plays further forward much more than Alexis does, who's natural instinct is to always drop deep. Over the years they have utilised other strikers too such as Dzeko who always gave them something different, and I remember there was a period where he had a habit of coming off the bench to win games for City when they needed an alternative.

But that's what I'm saying, the players we're choosing as our first team (i.e Sanchez, Walcott etc) need to learn that if we need to switch up our game to crosses they need to get their arses in the box and in numbers.
I'm not saying Giroud wouldn't have done what your suggesting I'm saying that our other players need to learn to do the same, we can't just rely on Giroud if we need to cross the ball against teams parking the bus in the box.

It was a valuable lesson for the team, one that Wenger should of clocked years ago with his time as manager.

The last 10mins actually showed we don't "have to" have Giroud to score from crosses, just bodies in the box.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:09 am

I seriously don't get why you resent the idea of bringing on Giroud for like 20-30 minutes when all else isn't working
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:38 pm

GoonerAlexis wrote:I seriously don't get why you resent the idea of bringing on Giroud for like 20-30 minutes when all else isn't working

I don't if we truly need him but the whole point is how is Sanchez going to become our no1 choice ST if he can't adapt to being in the box when needed, that goes for our whole front 3-4 tbf.

TBH I think they can, and they showed it by the end of the game.

We shouldn't have to revert to certain personnel to execute a switch of tactics, what if like Sunday Giroud is not available?

I'm also saying it did work, we just didn't switch to it early enough, reverting back to Giroud is not the solution, if we tried crossing earlier and the offense couldn't get on the end of the ball, then I'd be calling for Giroud myself.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:43 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
GoonerAlexis wrote:I seriously don't get why you resent the idea of bringing on Giroud for like 20-30 minutes when all else isn't working

I don't if we truly need him but the whole point is how is Sanchez going to become our no1 choice ST if he can't adapt to being in the box when needed, that goes for our whole front 3-4 tbf.

TBH I think they can, and they showed it by the end of the game.

We shouldn't have to revert to certain personnel to execute a switch of tactics, what if like Sunday Giroud is not available?

I'm also saying it did work, we just didn't switch to it early enough, reverting back to Giroud is not the solution, if we tried crossing earlier and the offense couldn't get on the end of the ball, then I'd be calling for Giroud myself.

I agree Giroud shouldn't start. However, say, like yesterday, if Giroud was brought on at about 70 minutes and we played two up front, we would have destroyed Burnley in the last 20 imo
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2016-17