25/02/21 | Arsenal 3-2 SL Benfica | Europa League

Chat here before, during and after the match.
Also get the squad news as it happens.

Re: 25/02/21 | Arsenal vs SL Benfica | Europa League

Postby Callum » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:10 pm

Also, yeah—try telling the Sevilla players it doesn't mean anything:

User avatar
Callum
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 36835
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 6:58 pm
Location: Kieran Tierney's back pocket

Re: 25/02/21 | Arsenal vs SL Benfica | Europa League

Postby Royal Gooner » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:33 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:This is the Europey League.
Play the womens team or the youth team.


This is our only chance of a trophy and CL. We have to play full strength.


Yeah - winning it gives a totally underserved place in the CL. Rather pass.
The trophy is lower than the Emirates Cup, though, IMO.
League is infinitely more important - even finishing 9th vs 10th.


Fake fan confirmed. It's a major european trophy, one we haven't had our hands on for over 50 years (Yes, I do count the Fairs Cup as the Europa League, despite UEFA revisionism) and it is worthwhile. You'd rather we didn't get Europe at all I bet. European nights are great as an Arsenal fan when you are in the stadium.
User avatar
Royal Gooner
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 9365
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:38 pm

Re: 25/02/21 | Arsenal vs SL Benfica | Europa League

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:16 pm

If Benfica turn us over, Arteta is going to have problems amongst the fanbase.

He better get the team in gear for this one.

Personally I know that if he loses this I will be as angry as if he'd started Willian 5x in a row, so yes, this will be an epic fk up if we lose.
Image
User avatar
DiamondGooner
Member of the Year 2018
Member of the Year 2018
 
Posts: 24735
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:35 am
Location: At the Gucci store

Re: 25/02/21 | Arsenal vs SL Benfica | Europa League

Postby starmandb » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:30 pm

Nuggets wrote:Pining all our hopes on this game /tournament to achieve something other than avoiding religation to cheer about.

Like 82/83 when we were 15th after 28 games
Still in fa cup lost to Man Utd in semi final
1-0 up at half time lost 2-1( missed it, put so much oil in my car, whenever I had a bit of trouble I stuck a bit of oil in it, conked out at Swiss Cottage)
Or
94/95 when were 12th after 28 games
Still in the cup winners cup
Lost in final in the last minute to real Zaragoza
It’s called a football season
Big games ahead
Can’t wait
User avatar
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
 
Posts: 12794
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:55 am

Re: 25/02/21 | Arsenal vs SL Benfica | Europa League

Postby starmandb » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:33 pm

jayramfootball wrote:This is the Europey League.
Play the womens team or the youth team.

There’s number 3 mention
Still hilarious
Can you do anti Balogun
I love your older material
User avatar
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
 
Posts: 12794
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:55 am

Re: 25/02/21 | Arsenal vs SL Benfica | Europa League

Postby aniym » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:49 pm

Foul air around the club these days, I can't think of a single player besides Saka that could put in a match-winning performance here.
aniym
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 7879
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:43 am

Re: 25/02/21 | Arsenal vs SL Benfica | Europa League

Postby starmandb » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:56 pm

aniym wrote:Foul air around the club these days, I can't think of a single player besides Saka that could put in a match-winning performance here.

Aubameyang has a hat-trick against Benfica from 2017
User avatar
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
 
Posts: 12794
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:55 am

Re: 25/02/21 | Arsenal vs SL Benfica | Europa League

Postby elkanofan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:06 am

Callum wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:This is the Europey League.
Play the womens team or the youth team.


This is our only chance of a trophy and CL. We have to play full strength.


Yeah - winning it gives a totally underserved place in the CL. Rather pass.
The trophy is lower than the Emirates Cup, though, IMO.
League is infinitely more important - even finishing 9th vs 10th.

I've never understood this stance. We're in no position to turn our noses up at the Europa League; even in spite of our periods of domestic success, we've only won the Cup Winner's Cup and the Fairs Cup in our history, with the last of those victories coming over 25 years ago. A Europa League win would be a great achievement and an important piece of silverware.


yes. exactly!

We have been underwhelming in Europe for our club of our size. We could do with winning this finally for the first time!
Image
User avatar
elkanofan
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger
 
Posts: 14133
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: I'm goin Latin America

Re: 25/02/21 | Arsenal vs SL Benfica | Europa League

Postby Nuggets » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:35 am

starmandb wrote:
Nuggets wrote:Pining all our hopes on this game /tournament to achieve something other than avoiding religation to cheer about.

Like 82/83 when we were 15th after 28 games
Still in fa cup lost to Man Utd in semi final
1-0 up at half time lost 2-1( missed it, put so much oil in my car, whenever I had a bit of trouble I stuck a bit of oil in it, conked out at Swiss Cottage)
Or
94/95 when were 12th after 28 games
Still in the cup winners cup
Lost in final in the last minute to real Zaragoza
It’s called a football season
Big games ahead
Can’t wait


For what exactly?
Image
User avatar
Nuggets
Predictions League 2011-12, 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2016-17 Winner
 
Posts: 18788
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Sunny Turkey, now.

Re: 25/02/21 | Arsenal vs SL Benfica | Europa League

Postby ESR10 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:57 am

Leno
Cedric - Holding - Gabriel - Tierney
Ceballos - Xhaka
Saka - Smith-Rowe - Pepe
Laca


Subs: Ryan - Mari - Luiz - Bellerin - Elneny - Nelson - Odegaard - Martinelli - Auba

Auba was dreadful the last two games. I think Pepe and Laca could be more effective.
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
 
Posts: 3986
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:06 am
Location: Bremen, Germany

Re: 25/02/21 | Arsenal vs SL Benfica | Europa League

Postby starmandb » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:55 am

Nuggets wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Nuggets wrote:Pining all our hopes on this game /tournament to achieve something other than avoiding religation to cheer about.

Like 82/83 when we were 15th after 28 games
Still in fa cup lost to Man Utd in semi final
1-0 up at half time lost 2-1( missed it, put so much oil in my car, whenever I had a bit of trouble I stuck a bit of oil in it, conked out at Swiss Cottage)
Or
94/95 when were 12th after 28 games
Still in the cup winners cup
Lost in final in the last minute to real Zaragoza
It’s called a football season
Big games ahead
Can’t wait


For what exactly?

Watching my team
As I said above
We have had similar positions
The exciting thing about this one is we don’t know how it ends
User avatar
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
 
Posts: 12794
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:55 am

Re: 25/02/21 | Arsenal vs SL Benfica | Europa League

Postby aniym » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:38 pm

starmandb wrote:
aniym wrote:Foul air around the club these days, I can't think of a single player besides Saka that could put in a match-winning performance here.

Aubameyang has a hat-trick against Benfica from 2017


Did he play almost 270 mins in the week prior to that?
aniym
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 7879
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:43 am

Re: 25/02/21 | Arsenal vs SL Benfica | Europa League

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:41 pm

ESR10 wrote:
Leno
Cedric - Holding - Gabriel - Tierney
Ceballos - Xhaka
Saka - Smith-Rowe - Pepe
Laca


Subs: Ryan - Mari - Luiz - Bellerin - Elneny - Nelson - Odegaard - Martinelli - Auba

Auba was dreadful the last two games. I think Pepe and Laca could be more effective.


This.

Also, if Partey has suddenly become injury-prone since joining us, then I'd keep him away from the league games and save him for EL games only. The same goes for Martinelli who I can see playing a major role for us in this competition especially if Pepe reverts to his usual form that no one cared for.
Leno
(Runarsson/Macey)
Bellerin Saliba Gabriel Tierney
(Cedric/Niles) (Holding/Mustafi) (Mari/Sokratis) (Kolasinac/Bola)
Xhaka
(Elneny/Luiz)
Partey —- Ceballos
(Torreira/Matteo) --- (Ozil/Willock)
Pepe -------------------- Auba(c)
(Willian/ESR) -------------------- (Saka/Nelson)
Lacazette
(Martinelli/Nketiah)


Last Updated: 10/26/20
User avatar
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2016-17 Winner
 
Posts: 18508
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:14 pm
Location: The Peach State

Re: 25/02/21 | Arsenal vs SL Benfica | Europa League

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:46 pm

ESR10 wrote:
Leno
Cedric - Holding - Gabriel - Tierney
Ceballos - Xhaka
Saka - Smith-Rowe - Pepe
Laca


Subs: Ryan - Mari - Luiz - Bellerin - Elneny - Nelson - Odegaard - Martinelli - Auba

Auba was dreadful the last two games. I think Pepe and Laca could be more effective.


I'd put Auba in instead of Pepe.

Attacking from the Wing, Auba is simply better, Pepe has been shank, at least Auba has had a recent hat trick, he's due a goal.
Image
User avatar
DiamondGooner
Member of the Year 2018
Member of the Year 2018
 
Posts: 24735
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:35 am
Location: At the Gucci store

Re: 25/02/21 | Arsenal vs SL Benfica | Europa League

Postby yadunoe » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:32 am

the biggest game of the year hands down its europa league or bust for us hundred percent
User avatar
yadunoe
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 2830
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:40 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Live Match Day Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jayramfootball and 1 guest