World Cup 2018 FINAL

Talk about the the FIFA World Cup Russia 2018™ here.

Re: World Cup 2018 FINAL

Postby UFGN » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:23 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Jesus Christ UFGN, first you maintained you couldn't have referees from countries of qualified teams and now this.

On this one I'm not taking the blame lol

I was sure I had a good source

The other incident was a shocker
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby LMAO » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:51 am

elkanofan wrote:
UFGN wrote:Fourth all Europe WCF in a row

RIP South American football

come on UFGN where is your memory? Argentina got to the final in 2014! You mean fourth European winner in a row :naughty:

But still here is a good topic for debate. South American football your right is falling behind Europe and it's defensively for me which is the main issue bar Uruguay but the other issue is depth of talent.

Brazil have a wealth of attacking players but aren't producing Modric/De Bruyne like playmakers anymore, instead every player is an explosive attacker which was their issue vs Belgium, they had nobody to really dictate the game. Defending in general there is still quite dirty but very poor quality. Most good South American defenders usually leave their native countries early to develop discipline which they aren't getting in South America.

I look at Argentina who have no good defenders, including Otamendi who isn't a good defender and who are they developing? Wheres another defensive mid emerging from? Everything is attack!! Also Colombia and Uruguay as you saw, take out one or their only star man and their level drops like a stone!

Since 1958 no South American team has ever won the World Cup in Europe!!! Infact only Brazil in 1998 and Argentina in 1990 have even got to the final since then in Europe so this has been a trend for a European team to usually win in Europe.

Eh, on another day, Brazil smashes Belgium. Iirc, Brazil's forwards couldn't hit the broad side of a barn (I can't forget that Coutinho howler though).

Europe is currently ahead, but football is cyclical. Every South American team is missing one phase of the game, Asian teams are steadily improving, North America has a lot of young talent coming through, Africa will continue to have talented teams, and Oceania is the only completely shit region.

Imo, one reason Europe has been so dominate is there are simply more teams in the WC, so it's statistically more likely a European team will win (or have a deep run) than any other region.

UEFA generally dominates European World Cups, with CONMEBOL, CONCACAF, AFC, and CAF doing relatively well in non-European WCs. Going by history, there should be more variety in 2022 and 2026.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Nuggets » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:56 am

Disappointed, it was a very flat world cup for me, no one special team stood out, sad that the french won it by default of a dopey incompetent ref and to top it all a spudling Kane won the golden plimsole for scoring goals against a pub team. Let's hope the next one is better than this load of shite.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Angelito » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:28 am

LMAO wrote:Imo, one reason Europe has been so dominate is there are simply more teams in the WC, so it's statistically more likely a European team will win (or have a deep run) than any other region.

UEFA generally dominates European World Cups, with CONMEBOL, CONCACAF, AFC, and CAF doing relatively well in non-European WCs. Going by history, there should be more variety in 2022 and 2026.

Yeah. Going by the same logic, only Germany and Spain have non-European World Cups. So, if we do a relative analysis—more European teams in World Cups usually—it's not against the norm for Europeans to dominate. I found it hilarious how some pundits were banging on about an all European SFs. Well, duh, you guys have 14 countries as opposed to 5 from South America, 5 from Africa, 5 from Asia, and 3 from North America.

The *World* Cup has also been hosted 11 times in Europe and 4 times in South America.

12 times Europe has won it, 9 times South America - despite Europe having a distinct home advantage in World Cups.

I agree with Elka's analysis that South Americans aren't producing enough midfielders but that's simply one of the issues. Football is a very cultural sport. Resources, management, and the environment of the country play major roles. If you look at the last three winners, they're all products of stability.

European success in world cups is a mathematical consequence. Top Europe countries also have more resources, better administration, better environment, and a more refined player development culture. Despite all that, the difference is marginal.

Seriously though, France winning this WC by parking the bus felt very underwhelming. History books will cherish them as the third European team with more than one star, but... Whatever.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to FIFA World Cup 2018