Semi-finals

Talk about the the FIFA World Cup Russia 2018™ here.

Re: Semi-finals

Postby Zedie » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:45 am

Jedieurokrem wrote:If Kane wins it for England he instantly becomes a cult hero, gets knighted and pulls in masses from all over the world to support Tottenham. Can't blame local fans who want to see England win but as a foreigner when i look at that team, all i see is Tottenham. Hope they get smashed.

The new fans will stay for a bit, have another trophyless season and jump on the title winners band wagon.

If we win the WC, Real are coming to collect their man anyway and pair him with bale. Then spurs fans can claim La liga like they claim the WC with the same reaction from normal people.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:13 am

Dgaf about England but I would never not want a certain team to win just because they had a lot of players from a rival club.

Imagine it were reversed and Spurs fans were saying they didn't want England to win because they have too many Arsenal players.

That would be the most small time mentality ever and completely embarrassing.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:17 am

LMAO people talking bout England winning the WC when they had the easiest possible route to the SFs. I will give them credit for beating COL but seriously, a Zlatan-led SWE would have destroyed them.

Modric, Rakitic, Mandzukic and Kovacic will make mincemeat of them tomorrow.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby 1991 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:49 am

aniym wrote:LMAO people talking bout England winning the WC when they had the easiest possible route to the SFs. I will give them credit for beating COL but seriously, a Zlatan-led SWE would have destroyed them.

Modric, Rakitic, Mandzukic and Kovacic will make mincemeat of them tomorrow.

Same Zlatan led Sweden who couldn't qualify for the World Cup? :rofll: This was the best Sweden team since 2002, and one of the best defences int he whole competition, we made them look ordinary which the likes of Italy, Holland, Mexico & Germany failed to do.

As for easiest route, that would clearly be Croatia, who made a meal of their easier route. You're a hater.

I'll ask again since it hasn't been answered before, why do you support the most English of English clubs if you hate England? :think: i think part of the reason Wenger is so disliked by the old school is changing the nature of the club and attracting so many people like yourself.
Last edited by 1991 on Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jonathan Pearce - "Regarding any new transfers you are not going to give me a clue are you?"
Arsene Wenger - "I cannot give you what i don't have"
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby 1991 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:55 am

Zedie wrote:
Jedieurokrem wrote:If Kane wins it for England he instantly becomes a cult hero, gets knighted and pulls in masses from all over the world to support Tottenham. Can't blame local fans who want to see England win but as a foreigner when i look at that team, all i see is Tottenham. Hope they get smashed.

The new fans will stay for a bit, have another trophyless season and jump on the title winners band wagon.

If we win the WC, Real are coming to collect their man anyway and pair him with bale. Then spurs fans can claim La liga like they claim the WC with the same reaction from normal people.

Nah. Spurs have become more and more popular in recent years despite not winning anything. There was a time when I was growing up you'd see more Arsenal shirts in Tottenham then Tottenham but that's long gone.
Jonathan Pearce - "Regarding any new transfers you are not going to give me a clue are you?"
Arsene Wenger - "I cannot give you what i don't have"
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:11 am

1991 wrote:i think part of the reason Wenger is so disliked by the old school is changing the nature of the club and attracting so many people like yourself.

So you're saying Wenger is hated by the "old school" because he got rid of pleb culture and brought in refined foreign players capable of playing beautiful football?

Yeah fvck Wenger, how dare he bring British football out of the stone age and into the Age of Enlightenment.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:42 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Dgaf about England but I would never not want a certain team to win just because they had a lot of players from a rival club.

Imagine it were reversed and Spurs fans were saying they didn't want England to win because they have too many Arsenal players.

If you're from England yea, but if you have no ties to England then it shouldn't matter.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Losmeister » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:56 am

StLGooner wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:Dgaf about England but I would never not want a certain team to win just because they had a lot of players from a rival club.

If you're from England yea, but if you have no ties to England then it shouldn't matter.

sorta get where you are coming from... but... nah.

for me, the players i like more play for France. but, i aint rooting for no one. just observing. may good attacking football prevail!
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Angelito » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:04 pm

Just a perspective:

*Touch wood for Zen* :sneaky2:

If Belgium win the World Cup, KdB might be the leading candidate for Balloon Door. Or even Hazard, if he tears the league apart from Aug - Nov/Dec.

I hope Hazard wins it. :hiding:

If England win it, Harry Kane will win the Door. Simplez. He's going to score 94845 goals from Aug until the voting closes + his goal scoring of last season AND the WC. It's a no brainer.

Just hope it's not one of Ron or Messi and no Real Madrid players, please. If Croatia win it, Modric is a candidate of course.

StLGooner wrote:

Yep.

For fans of England, it shouldn't matter because, in the end, their country is winning it.

As Jedie said, all we see is Tottenham players and I feel like not watching. I've been more interested in watching Saudi Arabia than I have in watching Tottenham bore us in the World Cup.

I've always had a soft corner for England though. In 2002 against Brazil, I cheered for England because - Seaman <3 and Campbell <3. Even in the Euros of 2004, I celebrated like mad when Lamps scored against France despite loving Pires, Zidane, and Henry of course.

But this side. This side - ugh. No. I can't bring myself to watch them without flinching, let alone see them win. :P

The only likable player in the team is... Uh... Ummmm, Uh... Oh yeah, Welbeck. My favorite English player. :D

'Course am talking as a neutral.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:08 pm

Losmeister wrote:
StLGooner wrote:

sorta get where you are coming from... but... nah.

for me, the players i like more play for France. but, i aint rooting for no one. just observing. may good attacking football prevail!

If your country is out of the tourney or just was never in it, then you can choose whatever reason you want to root or not root for anyone. I'm not in favor of any team left, don't really care. Just don't want to see England win cause of the reasons I stated, nothing wrong with that as a non English person that supports Arsenal. :dontknow:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Marsbar100 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:13 pm

Angelito wrote:Just a perspective:

If Belgium win the World Cup, KdB might be the leading candidate for Balloon Door. Or even Hazard, if he tears the league apart from Aug - Nov/Dec.

If England win it, Harry Kane will win the Door. Simplez. He's going to score 94845 goals from Aug until the voting closes + his goal scoring of last season AND the WC. It's a no brainer.

Just hope it's not one of Ron or Messi and no Real Madrid players, please. If Croatia win it, Modric is a candidate of course.

StLGooner wrote:

Yep.

For fans of England, it shouldn't matter because, in the end, their country is winning it.

As Jedie said, all we see is Tottenham players and I feel like not watching. I've been more interested in watching Saudi Arabia than I have in watching Tottenham bore us in the World Cup.

I've always had a soft corner for England though. In 2002 against Brazil, I cheered for England because - Seaman <3 and Campbell <3. Even in the Euros of 2004, I celebrated like mad when Lamps scored against France despite loving Pires, Zidane, and Henry of course.

But this side. This side - ugh. No. I can't bring myself to watch them without flinching, let alone see them win. :P

The only likable player in the team is... Uh... Ummmm, Uh... Oh yeah, Welbeck. My favorite English player. :D

Sure we aren't playing champagne stuff, but you have to accept the world cup especially in the ko stages is the hardest level of football we haven't been as bad as you are making out, we do lack creativity but we do try and play football, i have no idea why you are flinching when we could have scored 5 against Sweden if we was more clinical.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:17 pm

Angelito wrote:Just a perspective:

StLGooner wrote:

Yep.

Exactly!

Having said that, I'm still man enough to feel happy for and congratulate my English friends if they win. I'm not a total douche! :)
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Losmeister » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:44 pm

fwiw, i'd love to see Giroud score a nice goal today. I've rooted for the guy so long...
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Angelito » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:02 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:Sure we aren't playing champagne stuff, but you have to accept the world cup especially in the ko stages is the hardest level of football we haven't been as bad as you are making out, we do lack creativity but we do try and play football, i have no idea why you are flinching when we could have scored 5 against Sweden if we was more clinical.

It's not the style of play. It feels like I'm watching Spurs play. It's all Tottenham.

If England had Arsenal players, I would be supporting them regardless of the style of play. But the travesty is that Tottenham are playing at international level.

Yuck.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Losmeister » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:40 pm

i'd feel the same if USA Hockey were playing an international tourney and all the team were basically the NY Islanders, i guess....
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to FIFA World Cup 2018