Group E (BRA, SUI, COS, SER)

Talk about the the FIFA World Cup Russia 2018™ here.

Which countries will advance to the knockout phase? (first two)

Poll ended at Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:34 pm

Brazil
55%
Switzerland
36%
Costa Rica
No votes
Serbia
9%

Total votes : 11

Re: Group E (BRA, SUI, COS, SER)

Postby Gunpowder » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:50 am

Yeah he should have respectfully celebrated against these guys:

Gunpowder
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Jedi » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:01 pm

Sims wrote:I’m sure he has no real issue with Serb people. If we signed someone like Milinkovic-Savic I’d imagine they’d get on fine

He’s just showing his - and imo rightful - anger at how the Serbian government treated his father and many other Kosovans

The Yugoslavian war was obviously massively complex, but for him to do the celebration and stand for what he believes was a grave injustice (that’s just about his father, let alone the genocide etc) is fine

The only thing i'll say is that BOTH sides have plenty of war criminals. A google search on the current president Hashim Thaci and the current prime minister of Kosovo Ramush Haradinaj will suffice, drug and weapon dealing, organ trafficking, ethnic cleansing, you name it, they've done it. Serbian ultra-nationalists like to say that their only redeeming quality is that they've killed more Albanians than Serbs. There's no pride to be had in either flag when it comes to the Kosovo conflict. This is all that i have to say on this topic and i won't discuss it further because there's really no point.

Sims wrote:Politics has always been rife in football, and it always will be, and imo, it should be

Couldn't disagree more. Politics should be discussed with cool-headedness, not during a football game when emotions are running high. Just open the knee jerk thread and read the things people say while they watch football and how pissed off they get. I saw people calling for Wenger to be executed in that thread. Do you really think that's the right state of mind to be discussing war crimes between two nations?

Gunpowder wrote:Yeah he should have respectfully celebrated against these guys:

Disgusting behavior, i would ban them from attending a football match ever again. However, as far as i know these guys have no affiliation with the Serbian national team so i don't see how this is in any way comparable.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Santi » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:11 pm

Zedie wrote:Innit. I can't stand America. For the most part, it's inhabitants are cool though...

More like the other way around
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:18 am

Xhaka and shaqiri face a 2 game ban for their celebration.

Watched both goals and celebrations. Thought nothing of it then cos didn't know what it was about and didn't care but now I know and yup still not fussed.

Ban Xhaka. Free Shaqiri
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:51 am

I mean what the heck.

They look like retards.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Sims » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:02 am

Rate em for it tbh
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Marsbar100 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:10 am

Yup shaqiri is an absolute must sign
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Angelito » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:18 am

It's stupidity even if they want to make a statement. The Olympics have long been marred by politics.

I know it's human tendency to mix sex and politics in everything, but I find it shallow and dim-witted. Politics is a double-edged sword for various reasons and you can't trust humans with absolute power, save for a very few enlightened people.

Xhaka and Shaqiri have proven to be fools here. They're in Russia to try and help Switzerland excel in the World Cup - not make political statements or gestures. That's not the priority right now. If you want to be involved, there are other ways of doing so rather than sabotaging their country's chances in the World Cup.

Football players have unreal kinesthetic intelligence but that seems to be where it ends for most.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Pudpop » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:41 am

That's kinda the point though, init? They're trying to help Switzerland in the World Cup instead of their countries of birth. They haven't even said anything political, all they've done is show how Serbia lost to Switzerland because of goals from 2 Albanian players
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby DialSquaregooner » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:17 am

A load of fuss about nothing, but hey there are always keyboard warriors
DialSquaregooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Ach » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:42 am

DialSquaregooner wrote:A load of fuss about nothing, but hey there are always keyboard warriors

Xhaka and shaqiri are keyboard warriors?
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:56 am

Pudpop wrote:That's kinda the point though, init? They're trying to help Switzerland in the World Cup instead of their countries of birth. They haven't even said anything political, all they've done is show how Serbia lost to Switzerland because of goals from 2 Albanian players

Eh? They've been banned for two games now?
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Jedi » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:01 pm

Serbia’s manager, Mladen Krstajić, will also be investigated due to these bizarre comments in reference to a penalty he believes his team deserved but didn’t receive:

“We were robbed,” he said. “I wouldn’t give him either a yellow or red card, I would send him to the Hague. Then they could put him on trial, like they did to us.”

Krstajic also posted photographs from the match on his Instagram account, accompanied by the comment: “Unfortunately, it seems that only the Serbs are condemned to a selective justice, once (it was) the damned Hague and today in football the VAR...”

https://deadspin.com/fifa-will-investig ... 1827080111

Surely gonna get banned as well.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Pudpop » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:14 pm

Angelito wrote:
Pudpop wrote:That's kinda the point though, init? They're trying to help Switzerland in the World Cup instead of their countries of birth. They haven't even said anything political, all they've done is show how Serbia lost to Switzerland because of goals from 2 Albanian players

Eh? They've been banned for two games now?
Really? Link?
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Angelito » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:18 pm

World Cup 2018: Switzerland's Granit Xhaka & Xherdan Shaqiri face bans over goal celebrations

Switzerland pair Granit Xhaka and Xherdan Shaqiri face two-match bans for their goal celebrations in their side's World Cup victory over Serbia.

Football's world governing body Fifa is investigating whether they broke rules on political and offensive messages.

Both players are ethnic Albanians from Kosovo, where a Serbian crackdown on the Albanian population only ended with Nato military intervention in 1999.

They made 'double eagle' gestures after scoring, symbolising the Albanian flag.

The country's flag carries the image of a double-headed eagle.

BBC Sport understands Fifa will examine if the gestures can be classed as provocation.

Under article 54 of the governing body's disciplinary code, "anyone who provokes the general public during a match will be suspended for two matches and sanctioned with a minimum fine of 5,000 Swiss francs (£3,800)".

It is thought Fifa plans to call expert witnesses to explain how the goal celebrations could be classed as provocative.

It will be argued that the behaviour illustrates the Albanian nationalist-supported notion of a Greater Albania, which makes territorial claims on parts of Kosovo, Serbia, Macedonia and Greece.

If Fifa's case is upheld, then the players would miss the last Group E game against Costa Rica and the last-16 match if Switzerland qualify.

On Saturday, Fifa confirmed its disciplinary committee had opened proceedings against Xhaka and Shaqiri, adding: "In relation to the same match, disciplinary proceedings have been opened against the Serbian FA for crowd disturbance and the display of political and offensive messages by Serbian fans.

"Furthermore, a preliminary investigation has been opened against the coach of the Serbian national team, Mladen Krstajic, for alleged statements made in the aftermath of the said match."

It is unclear what the investigation into Krstajic refers to, but in comments to Serbian reporters on Saturday, he said of match referee Felix Brych: "I wouldn't give him either a yellow or red card, I would send him to The Hague. Then they could put him on trial, like they did to us."

After the game, which his side won 2-1, Switzerland's Bosnia-born manager Vladimir Petkovic was asked about the celebrations and said: "You should never mix football and politics. It's important to be a fan, and to give respect.

"It was a wonderful atmosphere and that's what support should be about."

Arsenal midfielder Xhaka's father spent three and a half years as a political prisoner in Yugoslavia, while Shaqiri was born in Yugoslavia before emigrating to Switzerland as a child.

Stoke City forward Shaqiri also sported a Kosovan flag, stitched onto his boots.

"It's just emotion," he said about his celebration. "I'm very happy to score this goal. It's not more. I think we don't have to speak about this now."

Not banned yet, soz.

Investigation on-going. But likelihood of bans.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to FIFA World Cup 2018