23/02/16 | Arsenal 0-2 Barcelona | Champions League

Re: 23/02/2016 | Arsenal 0-2 Barcelona | Champions League

Postby Est83 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:08 pm

Getting to the final 06, we were still playying 4-4-2 like everyone else in the league, but we played 4-5-1 in the CL... that was pivotol, almost like we finally realised we were playing against champions that knew how to beat teams without the ball. I remember some of our goals on the break, specifically Henry's against Real. We can set up to play without the ball (even if it's not our preference), the difference was the man up top, like Crimson says. For all the hard work we did tonight, we didn't have the fire power to bury our chances.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Reverend Gooner » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:19 pm

I couldn't bring myself to watch this one. Not just because of the inevitable score but because contrary to a popular thought stream (that going out will help our double ambitions), this will inevitably shake us into our typical season ending run starting with back to back premier league defeats. Stupid mistakes for the goals which reminds us that we are our own worse enemy and that the best teams flick us aside again and again. Self doubt is and always has been the biggest thorn in our clubs side for at least 10 years and today will do nothing but drag us straight back down there.

We could and probably should just say "this is Barcelona, what can you do?" but we won't, this will hurt. I would be more confident if our next games were not also our nemesis ties and this nemesis (best team in last 16) has already had the best of us.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Cornish Gooner » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:22 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:I couldn't bring myself to watch this one. Not just because of the inevitable score but because contrary to a popular thought stream (that going out will help our double ambitions), this will inevitably shake us into our typical season ending run starting with back to back premier league defeats. Stupid mistakes for the goals which reminds us that we are our own worse enemy and that the best teams flick us aside again and again. Self doubt is and always has been the biggest thorn in our clubs side for at least 10 years and today will do nothing but drag us straight back down there.

We could and probably should just say "this is Barcelona, what can you do?" but we won't, this will hurt. I would be more confident if our next games were not also our nemesis ties and this nemesis (best team in last 16) has already had the best of us.

Amen.
Cornish Gooner
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Cripps » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:22 pm

So any of the Barca lovers on here, still disagree with me about how c***ish that team is?

Ref was MOTM. Called it before the game.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenio Wenger » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:33 pm

Ramsey drives me nuts
Arsenio Wenger
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Steevo1974 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:43 pm

Ramsey has been average all season, needs to be dropped.

But wenger doesn't have the minerals to do this.

The mentality of the manager rubs off on the players, hence yet another last 16 exit.
A weak side with no spine.

Wenger out.
Steevo1974
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Myrmedus » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:44 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:Was listening on the radio. 1, nil wouldn't have been a bad result but 2, nil we are pretty much out.

We lost this because our forwards are not good enough, its as simple as that. We did well for large portions of the game especially focusing on not conceding but when we can't finish down the other end then there's not much else you can do but hope Barca don't score. Saw signs that we were tiring after the first half which to me is disappointing because the majority of our players out there were fully rested for this.

Also heard Flamini came on for Coquelin and gave away a penalty. You'd think Wenger would know not to screw with Karma

Within about 30 seconds of coming on lol.
Go Cannons!!
Myrmedus
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Sims » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:44 pm

Flamini & Alexis WOAT
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Muniesa » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:45 pm

Barca looked sluggish and fatigued. I think Wenger made a mistake not to go after us and instead played a defensive game.
Muniesa
Liam Brady

Postby larsen10 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:51 pm

Thank You arsenal
I like to let my football do the talking, I'm respectful of other good teams such as Arsenal videos .
larsen10
Liam Brady

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:51 pm

I thought we defended and closed down really well. If we'd had a top striker we could have won that game, if we'd had a decent DM on the bench we wouldn't have conceded the second.

The two positions were what most of us wanted in the summer when Wenger bought no outfield players.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Steevo1974 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:58 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:I thought we defended and closed down really well. If we'd had a top striker we could have won that game, if we'd had a decent DM on the bench we wouldn't have conceded the second.

The two positions were what most of us wanted in the summer when Wenger bought no outfield players.

Let's be honest, Suarez could have scored 4 himself. Barca were in 2nd gear, if Arsenal scored first it would have put us even deeper. Time for per and flamini to go. If Arsenal want to challenge for top honours they will not do so under wenger.
Steevo1974
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby elkanofan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:00 am

Steevo1974 wrote:
Tony_Adams wrote:I thought we defended and closed down really well. If we'd had a top striker we could have won that game, if we'd had a decent DM on the bench we wouldn't have conceded the second.

Let's be honest, Suarez could have scored 4 himself. Barca were in 2nd gear, if Arsenal scored first it would have put us even deeper. Time for per and flamini to go. If Arsenal want to challenge for top honours they will not do so under wenger.

Sad but seems true right now.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:01 am

Steevo1974 wrote:

Let's be honest, if Wenger was any good at his job Suarez would have been wearing red today!

We should've asked Liverpool to name their price instead of bidding the extra £1 or whatever it was!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Steevo1974 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:08 am

Tony_Adams wrote:
Steevo1974 wrote:

Let's be honest, if Wenger was any good at his job Suarez would have been wearing red today!

We should've asked Liverpool to name their price instead of bidding the extra £1 or whatever it was!

And that sums up the mentality of wenger, money pinching and would rather sign a player with 'potential' than a proven world class player. Hence no league title for over a decade. Only challenging for the title this year due to ineptitude of rivals such as city, Chelsea, manure....once they strengthen next year I fear for Arsenal.
Steevo1974
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2015-16