23/02/16 | Arsenal 0-2 Barcelona | Champions League

Re: 23/02/2016 | Arsenal vs Barcelona | Champions League

Postby Zenith » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:23 pm

Mesüt wrote:mert's arsenal career over?

oh btw hi zenith good guess mate, cech 8-2 messi now ;)

:1990_dancing.gif: :crybaby:
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Zenith » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:24 pm

Mazino wrote:
Zenith wrote:
Fenice wrote:
TOP wrote:
Mazino wrote:As always - been a pleasure to watch Barcelona('s front 3). Only Bayern can stop them.

thought they were shit tbh same with iniesta

we gifted them the goals

Agree with this comment.

Don't know what gives us the right to call anybody shit.
Anyway, yeah it wasn't a magnificent performance, but they still toyed with us, occasionally.

Rather agreed with him saying we gifted them the goals - don't agree with them being '5hit'.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Re: 23/02/2016 | Arsenal 0-2 Barcelona | Champions League

Postby Big17 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:24 pm

Wenger was critical in his post match conference and spot on with most points which makes a change.
Big17
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby BS221B » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:25 pm

https://streamable.com/9kv6

disgrace. that was a red card.
BS221B
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby ThisIsNotAnID » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:26 pm

Really thought we would have found our scoring boots by now.
ThisIsNotAnID

Postby Dejan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:27 pm

isaisdso wrote:https://streamable.com/9kv6

disgrace. that was a red card.

lol

he barely touched him
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Apollo » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:27 pm

Mesüt wrote:
Apollo wrote:
Mesüt wrote:
Apollo wrote:How did the way we set up show fear?

We weren't ever going to control possession, sitting back pressing and playing when they lost possession was the only way there was going to be a game.

Lol how does it not show fear? If you don't fear a team you take the ball and control it.

Nobody said we shouldn't fear them, the fact is we should...why? Wenger and his average team.

What?
The ability to control possession isn't a state of mind thing, its a technical ability thing.

We can barely string 3 passes together against sub par opposition,we do not have capacity to control the game or the ball against Barcelona.

It's not like we tried and failed. We surrendered the ball because we know they will outclass us anyway.

We set up at home like a team of 11 pussies (chelsea) and had no desire to take the game to them. Based on a fear of being humped and a lack of ability to do so, clear as day imo.

Yeah, I disagree.

I don't see any other way we could have thoughtfully approached the game, with the hope of getting a positive result.

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Cornish Gooner » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:27 pm

Send the young guns to Barca for the second leg, and let the first team concentrate on winning the prem.
Cornish Gooner
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Myrmedus » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:37 pm

I'm not really fussed by the result, I was never expecting much from this tie anyway.

The only thing I would raise about this game - and looking at Barca in general - is that this is a perfect example of just how big the gulf is between us and the European elite. I think it's a perfect question to the board, to the management etc. what is it you actually want Arsenal to be?

Some clubs are stuck where they are because they literally cannot get any higher. They don't have the moeny, resource or infrastructure to improve. We, however, seem to just set our own glass ceiling. If you want this club to be amongst the European elite then the "executives" need to start showing some ambition. And consequently less excuses from management about players we can't get because "they're too expensive" or "they weren't available" because these excuses HAVE been used when they were categorically false. In the past, there have been players available that would've improved us in positions needing improvement...and we passed on them.

If you consider how much disposible capital the club had at the beginning of the season, consider that we've only spent £15m on transfers since then and then factor in the income we will have garnered by the end of the season (especially including the TV deal) that is a truck-load of money. That spending power should translate into big players arriving on our doorstep. End of story. And anything less is holding the club back.
Go Cannons!!
Myrmedus
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Steevo1974 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:43 pm

Myrmedus wrote:I'm not really fussed by the result, I was never expecting much from this tie anyway.

The only thing I would raise about this game - and looking at Barca in general - is that this is a perfect example of just how big the gulf is between us and the European elite. I think it's a perfect question to the board, to the management etc. what is it you actually want Arsenal to be?

Some clubs are stuck where they are because they literally cannot get any higher. They don't have the moeny, resource or infrastructure to improve. We, however, seem to just set our own glass ceiling. If you want this club to be amongst the European elite then the "executives" need to start showing some ambition. And consequently less excuses from management about players we can't get because "they're too expensive" or "they weren't available" because these excuses HAVE been used when they were categorically false. In the past, there have been players available that would've improved us in positions needing improvement...and we passed on them.

If you consider how much disposible capital the club had at the beginning of the season, consider that we've only spent £15m on transfers since then and then factor in the income we will have garnered by the end of the season (especially including the TV deal) that is a truck-load of money. That spending power should translate into big players arriving on our doorstep. End of story. And anything less is holding the club back.

Well said, the club is run like a business, with scant regard for the fans paying high ticket prices in order to be guaranteed 4th spot every year. Time to think big otherwise will fall even further behind the big guns.
Steevo1974
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Est83 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:47 pm

Cornish Gooner wrote:Send the young guns to Barca for the second leg, and let the first team concentrate on winning the prem.

This is what I want to see. A real League Cup team with Wenger sat on the bench reading a book, sipping wine, getting an odd stare from Bould with Wenger looking back at him like "all yours mate, knock yourself out".

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby greengoonerie » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:47 pm

I'm with gooney on this one.

Arsenal have fallen so far behind similar sized clubs because of one man's ego.

Giroud mertesacker and flamini for instance playing against Barca - are they good enough - not in my opinion. Nor did they look it tonight.

Wenger admitted that Barca are 95% through.

For a club who charge their fans exorbitant prices for average football it's amazing how many people are still buying into the Wenger myth.

The game has changed. Big clubs have changed with it.

Arsenal have not other than to change the amount of money being sent out to the owner.

Overall an easy win for Barca.

First half wss like watching the non league team (arsenal) compete with the premier league team (barca)

2nd half Barca slipped into third gear and waited for the inevitable arsenal mistakes.

It could have been 6 when you look at the missed chances Barca had.

Arsenal had chances but they fell to players who don't know how to take half chances - hence Arsenals goals ratio this season.

Alexis was double teamed all night as Barca knew he was the only threat up front.

Wengers problem is whether he sends out a suicide squad to the nou camp to get hammered or the first team to get a respectable beating.

Either way another last 16 defeat looms.

Not good enough. Wenger out.
greengoonerie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:54 pm

Was listening on the radio. 1, nil wouldn't have been a bad result but 2, nil we are pretty much out.

We lost this because our forwards are not good enough, its as simple as that. We did well for large portions of the game especially focusing on not conceding but when we can't finish down the other end then there's not much else you can do but hope Barca don't score. Saw signs that we were tiring after the first half which to me is disappointing because the majority of our players out there were fully rested for this.

Also heard Flamini came on for Coquelin and gave away a penalty. You'd think Wenger would know not to screw with Karma
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby Mike Dean » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:03 pm

Haha....

Told you guys Mertesacker and Flamini against Barcelona is suicide.

Too easy.
Mike Dean
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby gooney » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:06 pm

greengoonerie wrote:I'm with gooney on this one.

Arsenal have fallen so far behind similar sized clubs because of one man's ego.

Giroud mertesacker and flamini for instance playing against Barca - are they good enough - not in my opinion. Nor did they look it tonight.

Wenger admitted that Barca are 95% through.

For a club who charge their fans exorbitant prices for average football it's amazing how many people are still buying into the Wenger myth.

The game has changed. Big clubs have changed with it.

Arsenal have not other than to change the amount of money being sent out to the owner.

Overall an easy win for Barca.

First half wss like watching the non league team (arsenal) compete with the premier league team (barca)

2nd half Barca slipped into third gear and waited for the inevitable arsenal mistakes.

It could have been 6 when you look at the missed chances Barca had.

Arsenal had chances but they fell to players who don't know how to take half chances - hence Arsenals goals ratio this season.

Alexis was double teamed all night as Barca knew he was the only threat up front.

Wengers problem is whether he sends out a suicide squad to the nou camp to get hammered or the first team to get a respectable beating.

Either way another last 16 defeat looms.

Not good enough. Wenger out.

My best friend is extremely similar to Callum. I called him after the match and he said if we took our chances, we would have won. We always have the same argument. He has an amazing ability to talk about chances we miss, but never see the chances opponents win. If both teams took their chances we would have lost 3-7. But the result was nid, but the scarier thing was the gap in ability and how complacent barca were. They knew they are so much better than us and played in 2nd gear. sAdly he has to play his best team over there or it could be 7-0 if he plays weak team
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2015-16