AW: We shall discuss this later
Ox: Do I get the pay rise?
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Re: 23/02/2016 | Arsenal 0-2 Barcelona | Champions League

Postby Steevo1974 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:56 pm

greengoonerie wrote:
strayagooner wrote:Not sure why people are having a moan, we had nothing to lose..
Other than self respect?

I suppose it depends on whether you were an Arsenal fan just ten years ago, when we had a team which competed against Barcelona in the CL final, beat Real, and pretty much beat anyone coming out of Germany or Italy annually.

Now move to the last 5 years - 1st leg hammerings in the round of 16 and a CL exit in order to concentrate on.......wait for it....4th place in the EPL.

Players have changed in that time - but the manager hasn't.

Anyone on here who is having a moan, is doing so because Arsenal are going BACKWARDS in terms of football.

Arsene and the PLC can spin it any way they want and if idiots want to buy into that spin, well it's like gobshi**s who vote for lying politicians time after time - those kind of people won't listen to facts.

Arsenal fans who remember the team from 10 years ago can't get their heads around the fact that in the last ten years:

1. Arsenal now have much more money to buy world class players than 10 years ago, but choose not to
2. Arsenals manager persists with players who are patently past it - Arteta, Merts, Flamini as 3 examples
3. Arsenals manager persists with players who are not good enough at top level - Giroud, Ox, Kocielny as 3 examples
4. Arsenals manager persists in overplaying/bringing back from injury too early the world class player we have - Sanchez for instance.
5. Our other world class player - Ozil - is incapable of showing any kind of leadership on the pitch

10 years ago, we had a TEAM, a SQUAD of hard working, committed and (in some cases) world class players. NOBODY fkd with that team. NOBODY. They operated on a "One for all" basis every time they went on the pitch - from Looney Lehmann to TH14 - you messed with them at your peril.

Now? Seriously.................Cech stands alone at the back, possibly Alexis up front as players who look like they give a bo**ix. The rest of them shrug their shoulders and look for someone else to blame when (not if) it goes tits up.

that's what absolutely frustrates the hell out of me - our manager has allowed his own standards to slide into mediocrity and as a result the players echo that drop in standards.

:BangHead: :BangHead:

Well said.
Wenger has taken Arsenal backwards in the last 10 years.
Arsenal are now a team full of weak minded players with no mental strength in the bigger games.

At 0-0 last night Arsenal were in the tie, then most of our players decided to charge upfield looking for a winner, with no regard for getting hit on the break.

The same mistakes happen year on year and this stems from the manager......defensive coaching is of no priority to a stubborn and arrogant wenger.........what does Steve bould actually do at the club??????? He was part of a great George Graham defence and obviously has no input on defensive signings or tactics......

If wenger has any ounce of self respect he should resign by end of the season.....he is getting £8m a year for 4th spot....the club is a joke and needs to change otherwise we will fall even further behind europes elite.

Wenger out.
Steevo1974
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Myrmedus » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:19 pm

But I'm not sure I agree with a bollocking.

Don't get me wrong, both goals were our own fault, but ultimately we're just a class below Barca. The buck sits with Wenger and possibly even higher up in the club's hierarchy as to why we're not aspiring to that level.
Go Cannons!!
Myrmedus
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:20 pm

RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby dolan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:21 pm

Myrmedus wrote:But I'm not sure I agree with a bollocking.

Don't get me wrong, both goals were our own fault, but ultimately we're just a class below Barca. The buck sits with Wenger and possibly even higher up in the club's hierarchy as to why we're not aspiring to that level.

SAF would have gone mental on Flamini after the game. Some players deserve it.
dolan
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:26 pm

The part about ambition is spot on.

That said, before our idiotic adventure just before we conceded, we had kept Barcelona at arm's length and created chances. For once, the tactics were spot on. For once, we were doing well and being disciplined. Suddenly, we lose our discipline and we're two down. He had every right to have a go, I'd be more angry if he didn't. This loss is down to the players, even if the club should have better quality in the team. Had we shown some composure, and stayed disciplined, this should have been nicked 1-0.
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:46 pm

RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Cornish Gooner » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:06 pm

GoonerAlexis wrote:

The part about ambition is spot on.

That said, before our idiotic adventure just before we conceded, we had kept Barcelona at arm's length and created chances. For once, the tactics were spot on. For once, we were doing well and being disciplined. Suddenly, we lose our discipline and we're two down. He had every right to have a go, I'd be more angry if he didn't. This loss is down to the players, even if the club should have better quality in the team. Had we shown some composure, and stayed disciplined, this should have been nicked 1-0.

Well disciplined or not. Barca would have eventually found a way to win the game.

That's why they are most probably the best team in the world, with talent oozing out from every position on the pitch.
Cornish Gooner
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Alexis » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:09 pm

dolan wrote:

SAF would have gone mental on Flamini after the game. Some players deserve it.

SAF would never have gone mental on flamini coz he would never have re-signed him in the first place. He was very good first time round, but is now past it and has been for a few years.
Alexis
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Est83 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:04 am

Who is Pablo? How does he know Wenger got mad?

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Santi » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:06 am

Pablo is AFC10's inside source at ze gunners who seems to change his twitter tag and/or name every week.

I believe he is some dude who called the Cazorla deal and lived off it since?
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:07 am

pretty much

knows f**k all about transfers now though & only knows the team news and shit now
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Re: 23/02/16 | Arsenal 0-2 Barcelona | Champions League

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:06 pm

Great news, guys, I played this on FM and lost 2-0, and then won 4-0 at their place. We then won the TREBLE! TREBLE IS ON, LADS!
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Re: 23/02/16 | Arsenal 0-2 Barcelona | Champions League

Postby VCC » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:08 am

GoonerAlexis wrote:Great news, guys, I played this on FM and lost 2-0, and then won 4-0 at their place. We then won the TREBLE! TREBLE IS ON, LADS!

I will have a double of what this guy is smoking :1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif: :lipssealed:
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Previous

Return to Matchday Chat 2015-16