23/02/16 | Arsenal 0-2 Barcelona | Champions League

Re: 23/02/2016 | Arsenal vs Barcelona | Champions League

Postby Santi » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:56 pm

Callum wrote:I just hope we don't get so battered there's a hangover when we go to Old Trafford next weekend.

Exactly, much more concerned about that game and trying to take top spot. Keep the score down in this one, another 0-0 would be a fantastic result and once we have our league games out the way we can try and nick something second leg.

Barca - tight game close result.
United - vital win
Hull - rotate but hopefully win
Spurs - vital win
Barca - hopefully get lucky but at this point lowest priority

We have to accept that we are not good enough realistically to win the CL, I don't want to prioritise or have to miss out on the biggest trophy in club football but I'd rather we were smart and not over stretch the squad we have.

Blame Wenger for the squad but if he prioritises the league with the respective positions we are in then I will back him up.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Gooner861 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:52 pm

Good God. Are some seriously including Giroud in their line up? I know there's always a debate on the starting CF for every match thread on here but this is Barca we're playing for God's sake. We all know we're not gonna get much of the ball and the best way to get a result is to counter yet some are including our slowest ever striker
Gooner861
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby TOP » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:19 pm

Have some faith guys. They're on the same level as Spurs, pretty much a walkover for us.

Bellerin Mert Kos Monr
---- Elneny Coq
Ramsey Ozil Alexis
-------- Walcott
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:27 pm

Wont even watch. I think we will lose at home and get torn a new one at Camp Nou, but even if we do get a win at the Emirates we will still get raped at their gaff so ultimately whats the point?

The sooner we get dumped out of a competition we have no chance of winning the better to be honest.
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby gooney » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:30 pm

We need to be lucky. Obviously we gonna go out. But even losing by 2 goals is a good result here. barca on their day can score 6-7 against any team. Also I feel luck even itself out over a season and we been very lucky all seasom. Could be the match our luck run out and they score most of their chances. But the positive is Wenger being humiliated which is always great
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby BS221B » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:39 pm

believe in Özil.
BS221B
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Mike Dean » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:08 pm

isaisdso wrote:believe in Özil.

Problem is Sanchez is off which leaves Ozil as the only creator on the team.

Expect Rakitic and Busq to pretty much shadow Ozil and lock him up.

Barca knows that if they cut off Ozil, Arsenal's offense will come to a halt.

While on the other hand they have Neymar Messi and Suarez to batter our defenses.
Mike Dean
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:55 pm

Feck sake we are not minnows to be shitting in our pants at the sight of Barca. This is what the club has been reduced to these days where the best hope is not to suffer a battering. When the manager is spineless it reverberates amongst the supporters as well. I simply cannot stomach the cowardice that has crept in to the club from top to bottom. A shrewd manager would serve Barcelona something they don't fancy. Apply physical pressure on them, get under their noses and try to attack them in the air. But hey we don't love preparations and tactics. We love to play one way and even if it means getting our a*ses handed to us in our own fecking backyard. Today Chelsea thrashed City and we have fans queing up a goalless home draw against a hapless hull.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Lateral » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:05 pm

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:A shrewd manager would serve Barcelona something they don't fancy. Apply physical pressure on them, get under their noses and try to attack them in the air. But hey we don't love preparations and tactics. We love to play one way and even if it means getting our a*ses handed to us in our own fecking backyard.
what a terrible, terrible post. everything you write here is so wrong. in 2010/11 we put pressure on them in the first leg and won 2-1 and in the second leg we parked the bus (if not for the stupid RVP red card it would have worked).

but please, live on in your clichè that Arsenal always play the same offensive football regardless of the opposition although this isn't true since about 6 years ago.
Arsenal haven't won a trophy since 6 August 2017 and haven't won a big game since 8 March 2018.
Lateral
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Marsbar100 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:15 pm

All we can do is sit deep not leave much space in between defence and midfield, offer a threat in the counter, exploit set pieces, hopefully nick a goal and hope they miss the chances they do get. We aren't going to dominate.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby ThisIsNotAnID » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:19 pm

Cech - Bellerin, Gabriel, Kos, Monreal - Coquelin, Ramsey - Ox, Ozil, Alexis - Theo/Welbeck.
ThisIsNotAnID

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:26 pm

Lateral wrote:
Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:A shrewd manager would serve Barcelona something they don't fancy. Apply physical pressure on them, get under their noses and try to attack them in the air. But hey we don't love preparations and tactics. We love to play one way and even if it means getting our a*ses handed to us in our own fecking backyard.
what a terrible, terrible post. everything you write here is so wrong. in 2010/11 we put pressure on them in the first leg and won 2-1 and in the second leg we parked the bus (if not for the stupid RVP red card it would have worked).

but please, live on in your clichè that Arsenal always play the same offensive football regardless of the opposition although this isn't true since about 6 years ago.

Our Champions record in the last five years is that we have gone out in the round of 16. Says a lot about the way we have played and the tactics employed.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:54 pm

Mesüt wrote:
Zenith wrote:
Mesüt wrote:cech to lose his 'never conceded to messi' record within 35 mins.

Meh, Cech could concede 2 Messi goals and still have a fantastic record against him.

Current record Cech 8-0 Messi

Chelsea defence 8-0 Messi *

Arsenal defence shit-100 Messi :frogwink:

Funny thing is we did actually keep him relatively quiet until 1 cock up allowed him in and destroyed our confidence.

Courtois 8-0 Messi (last time I checked)

No matter how you turn it, those are 2 atrocious records for Messi's standards imo. ;)
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Santi » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:16 pm

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:Feck sake we are not minnows to be shitting in our pants at the sight of Barca. This is what the club has been reduced to these days where the best hope is not to suffer a battering. When the manager is spineless it reverberates amongst the supporters as well. I simply cannot stomach the cowardice that has crept in to the club from top to bottom. A shrewd manager would serve Barcelona something they don't fancy. Apply physical pressure on them, get under their noses and try to attack them in the air. But hey we don't love preparations and tactics. We love to play one way and even if it means getting our a*ses handed to us in our own fecking backyard. Today Chelsea thrashed City and we have fans queing up a goalless home draw against a hapless hull.

You pose a problem and basically answer it within your own post. The manager at the helm has caused the attitude to creep in, an attitude which none of our fans should be subjected to believing but one which is the case given the disparity in quality compared to the world's best and the lack of alternative approach from the management as you suggested.

If we were Chelsea or had Mourinho would we be worried? Chelsea always lost to Barca (in their 00's feud) by a piece of crap reffing or at least by narrow margins, we've been subjected to Messi v Almunia and a 15 minute turnaround thanks to 36 year old Henrik Larsson... more recently a Douglas Costa skillshow. I believe we can get a result over 1 leg if we're lucky, play well and they don't show up 100%. Over two legs it would take much more preparation and a lot of luck on top.

Games like this are why I want change, we used to take this manager, take our top team and go to places like the Bernabeu and win. We used to have more desire on top of more quality and the ability therefore to beat anyone in the world. Now we rely on an off day and some luck (see Bayern 2-0 then Bayern 5-1). I want to believe we can progress but I am genuinely scared of a Liverpool 5-1 and Chelsea 6-0 game. :redface:

I'm sure i'll get told to stop crying and whatever but I don't care, if we can pull two games out of the bag along the lines of City away last year then I will be more than impressed with Wenger's new found ability to adapt.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:06 pm

If we're to have any chance, we'll need our big names to all have big games.

Cech to be as solid as usual, Koscielny to return to Boss level, Coquelin to dominate the midfield, Ozil to pull the strings and Alexis to finally get his shit together.

Oh, and Welbeck to smash in mad bangers.
Callum
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2015-16