23/02/16 | Arsenal 0-2 Barcelona | Champions League

Re: 23/02/2016 | Arsenal 0-2 Barcelona | Champions League

Postby Apollo » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:14 am

Steevo1974 wrote:
Tony_Adams wrote:I thought we defended and closed down really well. If we'd had a top striker we could have won that game, if we'd had a decent DM on the bench we wouldn't have conceded the second.

The two positions were what most of us wanted in the summer when Wenger bought no outfield players.

Let's be honest, Suarez could have scored 4 himself. Barca were in 2nd gear, if Arsenal scored first it would have put us even deeper. Time for per and flamini to go. If Arsenal want to challenge for top honours they will not do so under wenger.

^^

The problem with most people analysis is not that its incorrect, its just incomplete.

Suarez sums it up.

He definitely should have had scored 2 goals, he didst but Messi did, and that made all the difference.

We talk about single positions without talking about accompanying positions, we get into specifics whilst ignoring the rest of the picture.

Had we done this, this would have happened, if this player started we would have scored 2 goals. I suppose direct "substitutions" make the process of not being great easier, because it can be explained in more simplistic terms.
Last edited by Apollo on Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Apollo » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:24 am

Someone explain to me why we still are so reluctant to cross, i know Arsenal players like the ball on their feet, but the first good ball we wip in what happens? ter Stegen makes a good save.

I swear we could have had Masch, we underutilized our biggest asset and advantage going in.

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Jedi » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:30 am

Anyone criticizing individual performances, except Flamini is wrong. We we're playing really well up to ~40 min. After that i'm not sure what happened but the team lost shape, started panicking and our game fell apart.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:32 am

Not sure if true but saw a stat that Barcelona didn't have a single shot on target in the first half. Again, we approached the game the right way but like with all things Arsenal currently we couldn't finish (the job). The game was still nil, nil when I left and I heard Barca's first goal came from a counter. A counter!! ffs, Why did we have so many players forward Jesus Christ. The less said about their second goal the better. It's that lack of concentration that kills us every goddamn time. A big difference between us and the elite teams is that they remain focused on their game plan for the entirety of the match and you saw that with Barcelona today
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby Cripps » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:36 am

They didn't. For all their possession in the first half, we were comfortable. Don't think Cech touched the ball other than back passes.

Unfortunately 2nd half wasn't the same
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:43 am

Jedieurokrem wrote:Anyone criticizing individual performances, except Flamini is wrong. We we're playing really well up to ~40 min. After that i'm not sure what happened but the team lost shape, started panicking and our game fell apart.

so less than half the game is good enough to mask any poor individual performances?

merte should be criticised for his last 20 mins
giroud should be for his whole game
bellerin was struggling even when we were holding them off - especially his decision making going forward
sanchez was damn wasteful again - swear he did about 6 shit hollywood 'gerrard' passes which all went for throw ins
ramsey - did well for about 12 minutes, made a couple of good tackles and worked hard. then returned to the dude we all know.

easily performances out there to be criticsed, I don't buy into the first '40 minutes' being so amazing. As a collective we were managing, it doesn't mean there weren't obvious issues and mistakes occurring. These were only heightened in the second half.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Re: 23/02/2016 | Arsenal vs Barcelona | Champions League

Postby Losmeister » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:03 am

Goonerfromafrica wrote:If you blame Flamini more for that than Mertesacker you know nothing about football

this. plus coq was on a yellow.a horrid touch...by the bfg....basically teeing it up for messi. all in all am done with ox. giroud was denied. if Walcott stay in his channel Olli would have put him through on goal. ozil too scared to shoot. too bad . we were right there for more than an hour...
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Losmeister » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:06 am

Gunpowder wrote:
Mesüt wrote:
Trina wrote:Chances in the first half may have burried the game.

But, I thought barca would smash us and they didn't. They were actually soft twats throwing themselves on the floor a lot! My son was shocked when I paused it, rewound it to show him!

And kos? On messi was it? Need to see that again!

I'm gutted because that first half was quality.

flam on messi

i think it's a dive.

Clear penalty.

penal
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Losmeister » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:13 am

Apollo wrote:
Mesüt wrote:
Apollo wrote:How did the way we set up show fear?

We weren't ever going to control possession, sitting back pressing and playing when they lost possession was the only way there was going to be a game.

Lol how does it not show fear? If you don't fear a team you take the ball and control it.

Nobody said we shouldn't fear them, the fact is we should...why? Wenger and his average team.

What?
The ability to control possession isn't a state of mind thing, its a technical ability thing.

We can barely string 3 passes together against sub par opposition,we do not have capacity to control the game or the ball against Barcelona.

it's the weak mentality of the fanbase rearing its stupid fecking head. " I'd break someone's leg," , et cet... so lame
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby coach8smallball » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:04 am

echoing one sentiment: why the feck did wenger bring flamini on?!?!!?!?!

moronic
cheers!
--tank
coach8smallball
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:12 am

Ok just seen the highlights from the 60th minute onwards. God truly has forsaken us by injuring Gabriel days before this. It's not a case of if Mertesaker makes a mistake anymore but when. And I was looking forward to seeing how Flamini cost us the game too but it's clear as day who was at fault for our loss today.

I can only wonder if Chambers would have done any better
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11

Postby Angelito » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:40 am

Disgusted honestly. Not because we lost because of the nature of the first goal.

We had every chance of nicking it, or playing for a 0-0. We've screwed up again.

No point sulking over it. It's Prem or bust this season.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby redordead » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:32 am

Cornish Gooner wrote:Send the young guns to Barca for the second leg, and let the first team concentrate on winning the prem.

100% spot on,now watch the annual implosion where we fight for the 4th place trophy i have absolutely no faith in this current team mor manager
I set myself some very low standards in which i fail to achieve
redordead
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby redordead » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:34 am

Myrmedus wrote:I'm not really fussed by the result, I was never expecting much from this tie anyway.

The only thing I would raise about this game - and looking at Barca in general - is that this is a perfect example of just how big the gulf is between us and the European elite. I think it's a perfect question to the board, to the management etc. what is it you actually want Arsenal to be?

Some clubs are stuck where they are because they literally cannot get any higher. They don't have the moeny, resource or infrastructure to improve. We, however, seem to just set our own glass ceiling. If you want this club to be amongst the European elite then the "executives" need to start showing some ambition. And consequently less excuses from management about players we can't get because "they're too expensive" or "they weren't available" because these excuses HAVE been used when they were categorically false. In the past, there have been players available that would've improved us in positions needing improvement...and we passed on them.

If you consider how much disposible capital the club had at the beginning of the season, consider that we've only spent £15m on transfers since then and then factor in the income we will have garnered by the end of the season (especially including the TV deal) that is a truck-load of money. That spending power should translate into big players arriving on our doorstep. End of story. And anything less is holding the club back.

Sorry this was what i meant to quote
I set myself some very low standards in which i fail to achieve
redordead
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Steevo1974 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:46 am

The squad needs a clear out, starting with buffoon winger.

For a start, get rid of flamini (past it), artery, rosicky, metsercrapper (slow motion), chamberlain (like a bull in a china shop, no brain), Campbell (mid table player).

Get a defensive coach in to teach the team defensive discipline.....what does Steve bould actually do at the club?????? Obviously his opinion means nothing to arrogant wenger.

Walcott has done nothing to justify his new contract, Ramsey is going backwards (passing is awful recently), Giroud is found out against better opposition, Sanchez on the left is clearly not working (cuts inside every time), monreal is prone to mistakes.....

Now we have a fight left to claim our annual 4th spot.

Wenger out, otherwise this drivel will continue until he leaves.
Steevo1974
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2015-16