Post-Match|30/05/15 | Arsenal 4-0 Aston Villa|FA Cup Final

Re: Post-Match|30/05/15 | Arsenal 4-0 Aston Villa|FA Cup Fin

Postby Callum » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:10 am

Angelito wrote:Cesc blew his Arsenal legacy away. Not that it matters to him anyway. But when we look back at this period 20 years from today, we'll place Rosicky at a higher pedestal than Cesc despite Rozza's injury-ridden career here and Cesc's glorious run during the transition era.

Also, look at it - Ozil will forever go down as one of our Icons. He signed for us in his peak. His signing ended our trophy drought. He blew the world away in a FA Cup final. If we win the League with this band, Ozil will probably be the first of the new breed of future Arsenal legends. That's something Cesc could have been. In fact, if Cesc had stayed and won the FA Cup in 13/14, he'd be placed at par with Vieira/Pires at the very least. Only Henry, Adams, and Berggy would be higher. A League title and he'd be there too.

Ozil, in particular, is a League title away from being a Arsenal legend. It's not because of his Bergkamp-esque performances, but because of how his arrival coincided with our renaissance.

Considering Cesc and van Persie were here for so long, it's a shame they chose the path they did. As I've always said, van Persie had to do it because he was nearing the end of his career, but for Cesc - he left everything for Barcelona and ended up realizing that he's still not good enough for them. Consequently, he had to trade everything for Chelsea.

Alexis, Ozil, Ramsey, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Cazorla, Rosicky, Walcott, Monreal - will all be remembered as Arsenal icons over the two best players we've had since Henry left and before the arrival of Ozil.

It's so sad that one of the greatest seasons by any player anywhere in the world - van Persie in 11/12 - will now only be a footnote in our history.

Saying Ozil is a league title away from being an Arsenal legend is a bit far - such praise should be reserved for the very select few like Henry, Bergkamp, Adams and Wright. These are guys who won an abundance of trophies with us and gave us huge parts of their career. I agree about Ozil being fondly remembered for years because of what his transfer meant to us but I think if he's going to be uttered in the same breath as other Arsenal legends he has to do more than win one league title and two FA Cups - we're talking hundreds more appearances and a number of seasons playing brilliantly. Not saying he can't do that but we're far from that at the moment.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:25 pm

Gunpowder wrote:Turkish broadcasters said we've only lost 3 in something like last 31 against Villa.

Lost 3 in 35 games v villa
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:35 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Is he drunk?

The video is a bit cringe tbh, looks a proper t**t in the fisherman hat. He is a dolt, but I've always known that.

In general it's high time we stop giving Spurs so much attention. They are not on our level and never have been - they are irrelevant to me except for the two times we play them.

I've noticed the fans/team have only become so fixated with Tottenham in the past 5 or 6 years, ever since they started finishing within closer proximity of us and threatening for top 4.

Our underachievmement allowed us to get dragged down to their level, they became more legitimate rivals and as such we started lending them way too much attention.

I don't recall our title winning sides being obsessed with Spurs, we basically didn't even acknowledge their existence as they were our subordinates. We're on the up again, time we put them back in the irrelevant bracket.

Ray parlour sung my old man said be a Tottenham fan at the town hall after winning the league in 2004
That is the best arsenal side I have ever seen
It's a load of old bollocks
You win you celebrate
It ain't taking selfies at a semi final it is pure joy with your own fans after winning a trophy
Long may it continue
starmandb

Postby Angelito » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:19 am

Callum wrote:
Angelito wrote:Cesc blew his Arsenal legacy away. Not that it matters to him anyway. But when we look back at this period 20 years from today, we'll place Rosicky at a higher pedestal than Cesc despite Rozza's injury-ridden career here and Cesc's glorious run during the transition era.

Also, look at it - Ozil will forever go down as one of our Icons. He signed for us in his peak. His signing ended our trophy drought. He blew the world away in a FA Cup final. If we win the League with this band, Ozil will probably be the first of the new breed of future Arsenal legends. That's something Cesc could have been. In fact, if Cesc had stayed and won the FA Cup in 13/14, he'd be placed at par with Vieira/Pires at the very least. Only Henry, Adams, and Berggy would be higher. A League title and he'd be there too.

Ozil, in particular, is a League title away from being a Arsenal legend. It's not because of his Bergkamp-esque performances, but because of how his arrival coincided with our renaissance.

Considering Cesc and van Persie were here for so long, it's a shame they chose the path they did. As I've always said, van Persie had to do it because he was nearing the end of his career, but for Cesc - he left everything for Barcelona and ended up realizing that he's still not good enough for them. Consequently, he had to trade everything for Chelsea.

Alexis, Ozil, Ramsey, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Cazorla, Rosicky, Walcott, Monreal - will all be remembered as Arsenal icons over the two best players we've had since Henry left and before the arrival of Ozil.

It's so sad that one of the greatest seasons by any player anywhere in the world - van Persie in 11/12 - will now only be a footnote in our history.

Saying Ozil is a league title away from being an Arsenal legend is a bit far - such praise should be reserved for the very select few like Henry, Bergkamp, Adams and Wright. These are guys who won an abundance of trophies with us and gave us huge parts of their career. I agree about Ozil being fondly remembered for years because of what his transfer meant to us but I think if he's going to be uttered in the same breath as other Arsenal legends he has to do more than win one league title and two FA Cups - we're talking hundreds more appearances and a number of seasons playing brilliantly. Not saying he can't do that but we're far from that at the moment.

Time is the factor here. Nostalgia is the dish that time cooks with time!

To put it into perspective, if we win the League title next season, it'd mean that we've won 2 FA Cups and 1 PL since Ozil signed with us. We'd have won a record 12th FA Cup and edged 1 League title closer to Liverpool, with 14 - winning our 1st in the Emirates Era and truly culminating a transition from a club struggling to compete with the best to winning the highest honor of English football. He'd be synonymous as the player who coincided with the end of our trophy drought and our first League title win in over a decade.

It won't seem extraordinary today. 15 years down the road, people will remember Ozil as fondly as some of our greats because he signifies a shift of power and a change in trend for Arsenal. Ozil is the factor. He's the coincident factor, yet if his performances take us to a League title, Ozil would go down in Arsenal folklore. This is one player that symbolizes the shift of balance within Arsenal and epitomizes how Arsenal have now come out of a phase holding it down to, finally, winning big honors. It would mean a change in the club dynamics of the Premier League.

Of course, he'd have to be here longer and perform at a level consistently if he's to be become a bona fide legend. Yet, many, many years from now, historians would cite Ozil's entry into Arsenal as the catalyst. He'd be seen as an important figure just like the signing of Bergkamp. Only time will tell if he'll be here long enough to oversee that.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby elkanofan » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:43 pm

Has this been posted yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3barjVD340

I saw Poet after the game, screaming and screwing after the game,guy was prangin out!

:rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll:
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Walcott14 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:01 am

By Jordan1411 at Deviantart
Walcott14
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:16 am

going by the criteria here of becoming a legend, Flamini is on his way to being one cos his return has coincided with us winning two back to back Fa cup titles.

Also Sanogo's impact cannot be underplayed too cos he is one of the very few Arsenal players who fired us to Fa cup win in his very first season.

It is an absolute insult to the likes of Viera/Henry/Bergkamp and Wright if Ozil is touted as a legend in the making. Objectively looking at it, Ozil arrived and fizzled out after a bright start, got injured and it is only on his return from injury has he played well, not spectacular mind you. If you want to talk about impact talk about Sanchez cos he has literally carried us this season on his shoulders for major part. Even he is far removed from being an Arsenal legend. Players who are part of squads which go on to win a number of trophies do not automatically become legends. Vermaelen has won a la liga title in his first year.

Ozil has been criticized heavily by a lot of pundits and former players for not doing enough but is hailed as the best No-10 in the world by his worshippers. where does the truth lie? I say the truth lies somewhere in between. Ozil has played well and managed to pull his weight since his return from injury but in my personal opinion he has not reached the heights he reached at Real. Before someone tells me how he has Giroud as a Striker, in football the best players adapt to situations and teammates. His two seasons at Arsenal haven't exactly been earth shattering or the primary reason for ending our trophy drought. He has improved his form post injury and i hope he continues to improve.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:13 am

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:going by the criteria here of becoming a legend, Flamini is on his way to being one cos his return has coincided with us winning two back to back Fa cup titles.

Also Sanogo's impact cannot be underplayed too cos he is one of the very few Arsenal players who fired us to Fa cup win in his very first season.

This was unnecessary.

I'm the only one here talking about Ozil on his way to becoming an Arsenal legend. And let's look at my statements:

Angelito wrote:Also, look at it - Ozil will forever go down as one of our Icons. He signed for us in his peak. His signing ended our trophy drought. He blew the world away in a FA Cup final. If we win the League with this band, Ozil will probably be the first of the new breed of future Arsenal legends.

Angelito wrote:Ozil, in particular, is a League title away from being a Arsenal legend. It's not because of his Bergkamp-esque performances, but because of how his arrival coincided with our renaissance.

Angelito wrote:Alexis, Ozil, Ramsey, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Cazorla, Rosicky, Walcott, Monreal - will all be remembered as Arsenal icons over the two best players (Cesc and van Persie) we've had since Henry left and before the arrival of Ozil.

There's nothing controversial in these statements that suggests that we should stoop as low as to draw a comparison between Ozil being considered as a future legend and drawing a parallel between Flamini/Sanogo in the same breath, without startling somebody with such a baseless comment.

I've exemplified the reasons. Berggy, Adams, and Henry will forever remain legendary Arsenal players, but nostalgia makes the bond stronger, hence, it's impossible to even think that anybody can achieve their status. And quite frankly, nobody can. But apart from the zenith of legends that these men represent at Arsenal, there are other players who can come and make the difference - becoming part of Arsenal folklore.

Ozil's not the primary reason we won the FA Cup. Nowhere has anybody mentioned that. But, he is that entity at Arsenal who signified change and his arrival coincided with the club ending our trophy drought.

If you're going to pretend that Flamini/Sanogo's arrival at Arsenal holds the same gravity as Ozil's, I don't even know where to start from.

You listed Henry/DB10/Vieira/Wright when you talked about legends because they coincided with the time you grew up in. Ask older Gooners like Starman and they'd be the first to name Rocastle, Rice, Brady, Jennings, O'Leary, Charlie George, et al at the same pedestal, if not higher. It's still debatable what our greatest season is - whether the Double in 71 or the Invincibles in 2004. After Preston North End and Villa in the 19th century and LolSpurs before us in the 20th century, we were the only team to accomplish this historical feat. This appears minor now, but until the PL, the Double was very, very, difficult, which is exemplified by the fact that Liverpool's historical team "only" won it once.

The term legend is vague. Callum posed a good argument to what I had written, but as I stated then - time is the factor. In 15 years from now, we'll be able to understand how significant winning the first PL title after 11 or more years feels like. We seem to be underestimating a League title win after such adversities during the transition era. Winning the League title; Arsenal win the Premier League - let that sink in for a while.

And here's what I wrote, which seems to wrap it up pretty well:

Of course, he'd (meaning Ozil) have to be here longer and perform at a level consistently if he's to be become a bona fide legend. Yet, many, many years from now, historians would cite Ozil's entry into Arsenal as the catalyst. He'd be seen as an important figure just like the signing of Bergkamp. Only time will tell if he'll be here long enough to oversee that.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Maradonna » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:26 pm

Ozil being discussed.
Only at Arsenal.
Maradonna
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Pudpop » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:07 pm

Still get major feels when people say Bergkamp and Ozil in the same sentence and I realize they're both ours :cloud9:
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Apollo » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:35 pm

Pudpop wrote:Still get major feels when people say Bergkamp and Ozil in the same sentence and I realize they're both ours :cloud9:

I get the same feels when i hear Henry and Giroud :cloud9:

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:00 pm

Apollo wrote:
Pudpop wrote:Still get major feels when people say Bergkamp and Ozil in the same sentence and I realize they're both ours :cloud9:

I get the same feels when i hear Henry and Giroud :cloud9:

And I Vieira and Ramsey. :icon_barscarf:
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Jackson » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:06 pm

I've got all the dvds (and the VHS efforts) but I never watch them, some things live in the memory for ever - some fade. Onwards and upwards.
And here's to you Mathieu Flamini
Arsene loves you more than you will ever know (wo, wo, wo, wo)
Jackson
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby irishgooner96 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:16 pm

@Angelito, can you name a better number 10 than Ozil?
Cech/Ospina

Debuchy/Bellerin Kos/Gabriel Merte/Chambers Gibbo/Monreal

NEW DM/Coquelin Rambo/Cazorla

Theo/Alex OC Ozil/Wilshere Alexis/Welbeck

NEW STR/Giroud
irishgooner96
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Walcott14 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:05 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Apollo wrote:

I get the same feels rwhen i hear Henry and Giroud :cloud9:

And I Vieira and Ramsey. :icon_barscarf:

Was not much of fan in the good years.
But Cesc and Wilshere for me. :cheers:
Walcott...well..and Walcott :dance:
By Jordan1411 at Deviantart
Walcott14
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2014-15