POST MATCH: 17/05/15 | Man Utd 1-1 Arsenal |EPL

Re: POST MATCH: 17/05/15 | Man Utd 1-1 Arsenal |EPL

Postby StLGooner » Mon May 18, 2015 6:23 pm

Callum wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Callum wrote:
StLGooner wrote:Right! The league was there for the taking this season.

That is absolute nonsense.

We're dealing with a Chelsea side that has lost 2 games all season and is set for a points haul of 90 - that's exactly what the Invincibles achieved. If we were going to win the league this season we would have had to have been at a level close to that of our greatest ever side.

We should have been much closer to Chelsea than we will end up being but to say it was "there for the taking" is just plain wrong.

I would argue that Chelsea seemed to do so well because the rest of us were shit, not because they were exceptionally that much better.

A team that wins the league in with a number of games to go and ends up with 87-90 points doesn't just do so because their competitors were shit. Chelsea were brilliant this season, probably one of the best champions we've seen in recent years.

Like many things in life, it can be looked at two ways, and probably more. You can also argue that they were so far ahead because everyone else was shit. Many people on here and in the football world don't agree with you about how good Chelsea were this year.

I think we were a mediocre team this year, if we were even a step up and lets say a good team, we could have challenged them more imo, same with City. And I think the way English teams played in the CL this season is some good evidence to support this. English teams just weren't that great this season.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon May 18, 2015 7:09 pm

The general consensus is this is one of the worst PL's ever in terms of quality, a very dull and boring season where Chelsea were the only team - "big" team at least - to turn up. This is definitely the poorest PL I've ever seen.

For me Chelsea are not special champions, they are remarkably efficient, yes, but again I think their performances/points total has been accentuated by the shitness that surrounds them.

In years to come I don't envisage this side being remembered fondly alongside the likes of other great PL teams, e.g., United late 90's, Arsenal early 2000's, Chelsea mid 2000's.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby StLGooner » Mon May 18, 2015 7:15 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:The general consensus is this is one of the worst PL's ever in terms of quality, a very dull and boring season where Chelsea were the only team - "big" team at least - to turn up. This is definitely the poorest PL I've ever seen.

For me Chelsea are not special champions, they are remarkably efficient, yes, but again I think their performances/points total has been accentuated by the shitness that surrounds them.

In years to come I don't envisage this side being remembered fondly alongside the likes of other great PL teams, e.g., United late 90's, Arsenal early 2000's, Chelsea mid 2000's.

Agreed! That is how I saw it as well.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Matchday Chat 2014-15