POST MATCH: 17/05/15 | Man Utd 1-1 Arsenal |EPL

Re: POST MATCH: 17/05/15 | Man Utd 1-1 Arsenal |EPL

Postby Callum » Sun May 17, 2015 10:22 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:I already acknowledged the fact we upped it in the second half, albeit it was inevitable when we only have to improve on that first half display.

Worst half of football in a decade attacking wise. And if no shots at all in an entire half doesn't constitute an abomination then I don't know what does.

This United team is shit and were missing Rooney and Di Maira to boot, us being the better team from the get go should have been a given but we turned up in turgid shit mode.

I'm happy we fluked a goal and got the point but as a whole it was a poor performance.

The second half was a good display in it's own right and not just because it came after that dreadful first half. It's also naive to think that we can just turn up at Old Trafford and dominate them - they're a good side who needed a win to overhaul us and we stopped them from doing that. At the end of the day a point was enough to basically keep us 3rd ahead of them and we got it so I'm not fussed at all. I agree that us starting games poorly is a worry but in the flip side being able to grow into the game whilst the opposition fades late on is a plus so it's swings and roundabouts really.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun May 17, 2015 10:28 pm

Callum wrote:The second half was a good display in it's own right and not just because it came after that dreadful first half. It's also naive to think that we can just turn up at Old Trafford and dominate them - they're a good side who needed a win to overhaul us and we stopped them from doing that. At the end of the day a point was enough to basically keep us 3rd ahead of them and we got it so I'm not fussed at all. I agree that us starting games poorly is a worry but in the flip side being able to grow into the game whilst the opposition fades late on is a plus so it's swings and roundabouts really.

In the FA Cup a couple months ago we went up there and were easily the better side - and the stakes were much higher then. No reason we shouldn't be doing the same again.

I didn't say we should be dominating them, but I expect us to be the better side as we are the superior team. At any rate being able to hold on to the ball for more than 15 seconds and having a couple of shots in a 45 minute period shouldn't have been too much to ask.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Callum » Sun May 17, 2015 10:35 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:In the FA Cup a couple months ago we went up there and were easily the better side - and the stakes were much higher then. No reason we shouldn't be doing the same again.

I didn't say we should be dominating them, but I expect us to be the better side as we are the superior team. At any rate being able to hold on to the ball for more than 15 seconds and having a couple of shots in a 45 minute period shouldn't have been too much to ask.

We were better in the FA Cup game but it was still close for the most part. I also don't expect that to be the norm in a ground where we have struggled for years. United are still a very good side on their day and they played very well for the first half at least.

Look, I agree that the first half was poor and that we looked dreadful going forward, but I think the second half display mostly made up for that. A point was all we needed and we got it, which we probably deserved come the end. We got lucky with the goal but they robbed us at our place - that's football for you.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Danskin » Sun May 17, 2015 11:00 pm

Danskin
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Santi » Sun May 17, 2015 11:02 pm

the anger in his face :rofll:
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Danskin » Sun May 17, 2015 11:04 pm

What I found more epic is when he said Thank You but then realised it was our fans who were singing.
Danskin
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun May 17, 2015 11:11 pm

My man started to rage shout in order to combat our fans. The decibel level just kept going up.

"AND NEXT YEAR WE'LL SEE EACH OTHER AGAIN, OOI!!".

:rofll:
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby StLGooner » Mon May 18, 2015 12:41 pm

Played horribly, lacked passion, urgency, and creativity but still managed a point, which seems to be the story of our season.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Losmeister » Mon May 18, 2015 1:35 pm

StLGooner wrote:Played horribly, lacked passion, urgency, and creativity but still managed a point, which seems to be the story of our season.

sounds like Chelski's whole 2015... except they managed wins
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby StLGooner » Mon May 18, 2015 1:37 pm

Losmeister wrote:
StLGooner wrote:Played horribly, lacked passion, urgency, and creativity but still managed a point, which seems to be the story of our season.

sounds like Chelski's whole 2015... except they managed wins

Right! The league was there for the taking this season.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Callum » Mon May 18, 2015 3:58 pm

StLGooner wrote:Right! The league was there for the taking this season.

That is absolute nonsense.

We're dealing with a Chelsea side that has lost 2 games all season and is set for a points haul of 90 - that's exactly what the Invincibles achieved. If we were going to win the league this season we would have had to have been at a level close to that of our greatest ever side.

We should have been much closer to Chelsea than we will end up being but to say it was "there for the taking" is just plain wrong.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Mon May 18, 2015 4:20 pm

Callum wrote:

We're dealing with a Chelsea side that has lost 2 games all season and is set for a points haul of 90 - that's exactly what the Invincibles achieved. If we were going to win the league this season we would have had to have been at a level close to that of our greatest ever side.

We should have been much closer to Chelsea than we will end up being but to say it was "there for the taking" is just plain wrong.

I would argue that Chelsea seemed to do so well because the rest of us were shit, not because they were exceptionally that much better.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby sweggeh » Mon May 18, 2015 4:58 pm

Saying the league was up there for the taking is nonsense. This Chelsea team are probably the most complete team we have seen in the league for the last 6-7 years.

I would say last year it was there for the taking. This year? No way.
sweggeh
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby StLGooner » Mon May 18, 2015 5:00 pm

The league is always there for the taking now that I think about it, since realistically there are only 3-4 teams that could win it each year.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Callum » Mon May 18, 2015 6:11 pm

StLGooner wrote:
Callum wrote:

I would argue that Chelsea seemed to do so well because the rest of us were shit, not because they were exceptionally that much better.

A team that wins the league in with a number of games to go and ends up with 87-90 points doesn't just do so because their competitors were shit. Chelsea were brilliant this season, probably one of the best champions we've seen in recent years.
Callum
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2014-15