POST MATCH: 17/05/15 | Man Utd 1-1 Arsenal |EPL

Re: POST MATCH: 17/05/15 | Man Utd 1-1 Arsenal |EPL

Postby Zedie » Sun May 17, 2015 7:30 pm

Re the penalty

You see situations like the Fabregas dive v us get pens all the time, yet somehow the smalling attempted sexual assault on giroud didn't even get a second look?

Wtf.

Exactly why I hate Mike Dean.

Should have been 1-2 tbf.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Goonerz » Sun May 17, 2015 7:32 pm

And why are people saying Giroud missed 3 chances? The first one in the first half was Ozils fault, Giroud took the defenders away and space opened up for Ozil on his fav left foot, but he decided to pass on the responsibility and messed up by doing a pass that was never on..

The second one where Ozil played the ball so far behind Giroud that he had to compromise to even make that shot.

The last one where I think Ramsey cut it back and Giroud narrowly missed at the near post is more understandable..
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Goonerz » Sun May 17, 2015 7:35 pm

As we all keep saying, Ramsey has to coke back into the middle and either Ozil or Cazorla into the No10 position.

With Cazorla and Ozil in the same team we look weak and slow in our play. I would like Ramsey or Wilshere in the CM alongside The Coq..
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby djarsenal » Sun May 17, 2015 7:52 pm

Ospina was decent. Maybe could have got a hand but the shot was hard to stop.

Bellerin was tormented by Young. He is still learning though and will come good.

Per was okay okay.

Kos was great mostly.

Monreal was good; missed Herrera on the goal though but not totally his fault.

Coquelin was good as usual. Needed support from teammates which he did not get. Managing Fellaini alone is no easy job given the height difference.

Caz was poor. No defensive support to Coqelin, so many missed passes and did not help Coquelin out with the ball. Bad day for Cazorla.

Alexis was poor. His play is becoming one dimensional. He should make runs beyond defenders to receive balls in space. Ball to feet does not work everytime, especially when big teams crowd you out. Lost ball too many times. Also, he seems to never pass to Giroud which is a bad thing.

Ozil was above average but not great. Created a few decent chances but lost ball a few times. Still decent plus performance.

Ramsey was decent at RW and became better at CM. Nice passes.

Giroud was mediocre. Movement was not good. He tries to make runs but does not have the pace. Did create a chance with a nice turn and should have scored from it. Okay performance. Midfield did not help him a lot though but neither was he good.

Wilshere was good when he came on.

Walcott was also okay. Gave us new dimension and pace was useful against inexperienced blackett. Lucky goal.

Wenger: should have made subs earlier. Rosicky should have come on instead of Flamini. I like Flamini but he is not good enough anymore; not as a CDM.
djarsenal
Michael Thomas

Postby Cripps » Sun May 17, 2015 7:59 pm

Just read Wengers post match comments on the website.

You know the match is shit when he speaks so much about Zimzalazim and him choosing yanks over Germany or something.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Sun May 17, 2015 8:21 pm

Watched the game at a mate's house, was nerve-biting to say the least. We started dreadfully and were lucky to only be 1-0 down but given how we ended the game part of me is a bit disappointed we didn't beat them. Still, I think we were good for the draw and beforehand I would have taken a point so I'm pleased overall.

A few observations;

- Ramsey showed his class today and was comfortably our best player. I think he's done well out on the right wing but he is at his most influential when he's in a central position. In the long-term he has to be seen as our first-choice option in the middle of the park.
- This side containing Santi in the middle and Ramsey out wide has fared pretty well for a few weeks but I don't think it's a sustainable, realistic option going forward. I think it has to be either/ or with regards to Santi and Ramsey and at the moment I'd probably have Ramsey in there. We looked a lot better with Walcott when he came on although I'd probably prefer Oxlade-Chamberlain there.
- I don't think Ospina had a bad game by any means but United's goal was another where he didn't cover himself in glory. I think a truly top class goalkeeper saves that shot whereas Ospina struggles to make those key saves at important moments. He's solid and we've looked better defensively since he came into the side but I'm still unconvinced by him as our long-term number one.
- The lack of desire and urgency in the first half was truly worrying but on the flip-side I was pleased that we were able to really attack United at the end as they began to fade.
- Wilshere and Walcott both looked good when they came on. Hopefully they both start vs. Sunderland.

All-in-all we got the point we needed which all but guarantees us a place in the top three which is a decent achievement given the money United spent last summer. Very pleased with the result.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun May 17, 2015 9:08 pm

Absolutely dire.

The worst first half we've played in over a decade evinced by the fact we couldn't even manage a single f***ing shot. Truly pathetic. Couldn't hold on to the ball to save our lives.

Cazorla was egregious, I don't know how Wenger allowed him to come on for the second half. Completely anonymous.

Ozil was quite dire for the most part and Giroud should have found a goal from the three chances he had.

Wenger continues with his artard tactics of Ramsey on the right, he hasn't the balls to drop any of his favourites so would rather f**k up our equilibrium by forcing all our midfielders into one side.

Fluked a goal thanks to Walcott (would you look at that, an actual winger making an impact from out wide, who would've thought it?) and got the point which basically confirms we avoid a CL playoff so that's good but we bottled 2nd place.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Callum » Sun May 17, 2015 9:09 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Absolutely dire.

The worst first half we've played in over a decade evinced by the fact we couldn't even manage a single f***ing shot. Truly pathetic. Couldn't hold on to the ball to save our lives.

Cazorla was egregious, I don't know how Wenger allowed him to come on for the second half. Completely anonymous.

Ozil was quite dire for the most part and Giroud should have found a goal from the three chances he had.

Wenger continues with his artard tactics of Ramsey on the right, he hasn't the balls to drop any of his favourites so would rather f**k up our equilibrium by forcing all our midfielders into one side.

Fluked a goal thanks to Walcott (would you look at that, an actual winger making an impact from out wide, who would've thought it?) and got the point which basically confirms we avoid a CL playoff so that's good but we bottled 2nd place.

I don't think you're wrong about any of that but I don't see why you've ignored the vastly improved performance in the second half where we looked the much better side. Once we had the equalizer we looked far more likely to score than United did.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun May 17, 2015 9:15 pm

Callum wrote:I don't think you're wrong about any of that but I don't see why you've ignored the vastly improved performance in the second half where we looked the much better side. Once we had the equalizer we looked far more likely to score than United did.

Insipid performance overall. No intensity whatsoever and we're playing United away.

We got the equalizer in the 82nd minute, claiming we looked more likely to score from then on isn't really saying much - there were only 13 minutes to play after that point.

And obviously we were going to improve in the 2nd half considering we didn't even manage a shot in the first, as I said it was our worst half of football in over a decade. Just because we turned it up slightly after a historically shit first half doesn't mean it's anything to shout home about.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Callum » Sun May 17, 2015 9:25 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Callum wrote:I don't think you're wrong about any of that but I don't see why you've ignored the vastly improved performance in the second half where we looked the much better side. Once we had the equalizer we looked far more likely to score than United did.

Insipid performance overall. No intensity whatsoever and we're playing United away.

We got the equalizer in the 82nd minute, claiming we looked more likely to score from then on isn't really saying much - there were only 13 minutes to play after that point.

And obviously we were going to improve in the 2nd half considering we didn't even manage a shot in the first, as I said it was our worst half of football in over a decade. Just because we turned it up slightly after a historically shit first half doesn't mean it's anything to shout home about.

You're doing a disservice to our second half performance in my opinion, we were playing well for a good period prior to the goal and had them on the ropes by the end. Talk of this being our worst first half of football in over a decade is absolute nonsense by the way - being 3-0 at Stoke earlier in the season is just one example of where we were far worse. Going forward we were shit and we were the worse team but it was hardly the abomination you're making it out to be.

We were the better team for about half the game and deserved the point. I can understand the complaints about the first half because it was dire but I think you're being too harsh on the team for the most part.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Losmeister » Sun May 17, 2015 9:53 pm

really was a tale of 2 halves.
all MU had to do was not slip and fall down and we'd turn it over- Chez being the prime culprit followed by Caz and Ozil- Coq really only passes sideways mostly.
but the amount of space we found in the 2nd looked far more dangerous, to me, as far as quality scoring chances.

anyway. i'll take a lucky bounce. not like Kongobias long strike didnt v Monaco in the CL. and totally against the run of play.

it IS better this year than last, i think. i mean we SHAT ourselves last year vs the big clubs... just pffffffffft...
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun May 17, 2015 9:54 pm

Callum wrote:You're doing a disservice to our second half performance in my opinion,

worst first half of football in over a decade is absolute nonsense by the way - being 3-0 at Stoke earlier in the season is just one example of where we were far worse. Going forward we were shit and we were the worse team but it was hardly the abomination you're making it out to be.

We were the better team for about half the game and deserved the point. I can understand the complaints about the first half because it was dire but I think you're being too harsh on the team for the most part.

I already acknowledged the fact we upped it in the second half, albeit it was inevitable when we only have to improve on that first half display.

Worst half of football in a decade attacking wise. And if no shots at all in an entire half doesn't constitute an abomination then I don't know what does.

This United team is shit and were missing Rooney and Di Maira to boot, us being the better team from the get go should have been a given but we turned up in turgid shit mode.

I'm happy we fluked a goal and got the point but as a whole it was a poor performance.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Santi » Sun May 17, 2015 10:12 pm

for 90% of the game we struggled to even get the ball and get any control on the game, it was like we couldn't enforce whatever plan we came with because United just had the ball. We had a good 10-15 min spell at the start of the second half then dropped off again until the last 5 mins.

At least against Stoke we could get the ball, Giroud had a chance at 1-0 down to make it 1-1 iirc, pretty open net n missed. First half here hardly even got near their box.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sun May 17, 2015 10:16 pm

also subbing flamini on, regardless of sanchez being shit, was a horrendous sub. not only did he almost cock it up but we should've been trying for the win given before he came on we'd been on top for a few mins again. intent there was not.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Sun May 17, 2015 10:19 pm

The first half was utter shit. The worst this season.

Things only startened to liven up when the subs were made and Rambo moved into the middle. Wilshere looked really good.

A world-class striker would've buried the two chances made by Özil, and it summed up Santi's last few weeks with that great chance to volley it in (set up again by Özil) but he completely fluffed it.

Dunno why people are given Mesut a 4 when he should've had 3 assists
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2014-15