25/02/15 | Arsenal 1-3 Monaco | Champions League

Re: 25/02/15 | Arsenal 1-3 Monaco | Champions League

Postby Vinny » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:17 am

Mesüt wrote:
Vinny wrote:
Mesüt wrote:Absolute wank, still not even home and wasted £70 on that shit. Absolutely no ideas how to play against a team like that. 8 years we've been done on the counter and still not learnt.

What was the reaction at the end from supporters like Mesut ?

Mixture of boos (not sure if at the complete prick of a ref, the performance or both) and just plain dejection. Just felt completely disappointed myself, same old mistakes and so obvious how the game would turn out - we were elated at 2-1 (yes elated to lose 2-1 at home to monaco) then we gave it away with another counter...shock and horror.

Just can't believe it, worst game i've seen for a long time and my attendance = unbeaten streak is over.

Cheer's
Had to end sometime (your streak) I suppose, pity it was last night.
Vinny
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Super_Theo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:05 am

Here's something to cheer everybody up:

Super_Theo
Michael Thomas

Postby EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:15 am

Emotions still running wild after that pathetic display. Everyone was woeful. Extra woeful was, Ozil, Merts and even Kos. We have NO chance of getting through. Of course I will still watch it. Just in case we pull it off. I am well and truly disgusted.
I want Carl Jenkinson back in a Arsenal shirt next season.
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Losmeister » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:43 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Losmeister wrote:
you'd think that Atleti were stocked with a buncha losers and Simeone sprinkles his magic hairgel on 'em and POOF they are world beaters.
that squad is stacked. and they lost to leverkusen today.

for me, the players get the credit when they play well, and the manager the blame when they play poorly too often.
and not just as a gooner fan but across many different sports

the PLAYERS surrendered possession all game long. often w/o any particular inolvement from the opposition.
coqs yellow is a fine example.

That is not the point. Simeone has his players on smash. Ath. Madrid are probably the most disciplined and well drilled team in world football; the way Simeone has them pressing as a unit and working for eachother is incredible - that is down to him. Yes they have good players but the point is he has implemented a brilliant system and his players are willing to die for him. He also happened to perform the incredible feat of beating Barca and Madrid to the title last season and generally does well in the big matches - his record against Real Madrid especially is impressive. He has them punching well above their weight. Can you imagine what he'd be able to achieve with the resources at a club like Arsenal?

P.S.

Simeone has also made Mourinho his personal bitch which is an added bonus.

for debates sake. barca have OWNED them this year. well drilled? pathetic red from tiago today, they are often rash and overphysical.
got away with a ton of rash fouls last year. this year too. godin is among the top 5 defenders in the world. AND SCORES!!! they had falcao, then costa now mandzukic. top flight.
not to say i dont think simeone is a stud, i do.absolute.

and I LOVE tha they have broken the madrid barca hegemony. its boring to watch the same 2-4 teams scrap about.

ahh...

i've rooted for wanky trams since i was 4 yrs old. i dont get bent outta shape no more.

i just stick wid em notneheless. try to let it all roll off...

i aint say it isnt MADDENING. it IS. just that.... i been through it for 4 decades. :rolleyes:
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby kennyng291 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:26 am

got so excited and shite going to the emirates for my first ever champions league game... FML
kennyng291
Liam Brady

Postby jules_w » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:47 am

Can't even describe my disappointment last night. I've always been pro-Wenger but to be honest , I'm starting to believe he can not take this team any further than CL qualification and an FA cup here and there. The team had some good chances , yes. But there's no excuse for the way we let them hit us on the break like that. Everybody knew they would sit back and hit us on counter attacks. We conceded three knowing this. Unacceptable. How much it even hurts to say, this team needs a fresh breeze
jules_w
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby ESFSAFC » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:55 pm

Kos did the best he could, he was pretty much doing the job of two cb's. Mert dropped for Gabe.
ESFSAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby billie86 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:56 pm

Whether you want to blame the players or the manager to me it all still comes back to the manager regardless, who bought the players who literally crumbled last night? We are lacking some major work rate and effort in the midfield, we get overrun so easily even teams like Palace can dominate our midfield as seen last weekend. I have criticised Ozil before for his lack of work rate but last night was on another level, Gary Neville hit the nail on the head last night and was criticising Ozil for not trying to win the ball back even when it's him who has given it away, he also said in games like this at this level you can't have passengers and he is right. We may as well flog Ozil in the summer and buy a DM and a left winger like Griezmann or Arda Turan, just cut our losses, also we desperately need a top centre back to play at the side of Kos as Mertesacker is underperforming epically. He caused their second goal and to me he could have got across quicker for their 3rd, he also did the same thing when carrasco broke away earlier and let him shoot from a similar position to where he scored from, another player who didn't look interested.

I will say again what I said earlier in the thread, we may as well get knocked out now rather than in the next round because we wont beat a decent team over 2 legs, we may as well concentrate on wasting our time trying to finish 4th for a competition we can't win, why? Money of course. We still have the FA Cup too, lets hope we don't crumble against Man Ure yet again, can Wenger learn from past mistakes? We will see.....
billie86
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Sims » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:13 pm

Özil covered the second most amount of ground of anyone on the pitch last night.
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Scobbie96 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:22 pm

We had at least 3 clear cut chances that on other days would have gone in. That defence is a shambles, to concede 3 against Monaco at home is unacceptable. We knew at the start it would be a lot of sideways passing as that is the style of Monaco to sit really deep and let us mess about with the ball in the middle, so I thought we did enough attacking wise to win that game. But defence needs to be seriously addressed in the summer.
ArsenalScotlandSupportersClub

Sol Campbell: "I always dreamed of winning the league at White Hart Lane. So I left and joined Arsenal."
Scobbie96
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby billie86 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:27 pm

Sims wrote:Özil covered the second most amount of ground of anyone on the pitch last night.

Why do people think this matters, in all honesty to run around that much and be so uninvolved is even more worrying
billie86
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Welsh Gunner » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:31 pm

We lack physicality in midfield so badly. We've been linked with Kondogbia in the past but people say he's not good enough. Yet he still completely outmuscles our midfield without too many problems.
Welsh Gunner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby greengoonerie » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:49 pm

greengoonerie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby S4cePL » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:50 pm

One photo to sum up the entire game.
S4cePL
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby ESFSAFC » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:03 pm

I prefer the pic of Kondogbia running into 15 yards of free space before his shot at our 18 yard box as Caz shows he's not a holding CM at this level.
ESFSAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2014-15