Postby Schlandi » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:34 am

:arsesmile:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnNUyvXzAHY&t=1m39s

Seems you can't embed a YT-Video with a timestamp in the link :(
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnNUyvXzAHY&t=1m39s[/youtube]

#GoonersWorldExcuses
- Their goalkeerper had the game of his life
- We should have had 10+ penalties .. shit ref
- If long term injured player xyz would have been available we would have won easily
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Re: 13/12/14 | Arsenal V Newcastle | Premier League

Postby addict » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:25 am

Omphi93 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Callum wrote:
arsenaltilltheENDbrother wrote:Still anyone laughing about my brother? Keep on hating haters....Giroud till the end...Motm!

You and I have known for some time brother

Others are starting to see the light

Its not that we're starting to see the light .......... its that he's playing better.

There is a difference.

Nothings changed, been playing at a level for a while, in fact this is the same level of performance many have been championing, the change if there was one occured in the break after his first season before his second during that Asiain pre season tour.

Literally playing his textbook game, last year averaging just under 1 in every 2, being top scorer one of the leading creative players was rated second last in the entire squad in player of the year votes,AFC winning inspite of him etc, remember saying how id never heard of a striker who averaged just under 1 in 2 or one who created so many oppurunities in and around the box come under such fire.

This year just under 1 in 2, same game, same strengths same weaknesses. The only thing thats changed is that Arsenal fans have a close refference point.Its easy to dismiss linkup,arieal ability,strength,angled passes,pulling off the defender,drawing defenders,the balance between a brute ariel threat and intricate ground game etc etc when its always present, take it away , wait somethings not quite right.

Eyes are opened, unfortunatly it took an injury for many to see but quite a few people i know have changed tunes, some noticed when he was out and some came to the realization when he came back.He isnt playing at abnormal level he is playing at his leading striker of AFC, French International, rated by Klopp,rated by Wenger level.

Standard
Still not at last seasons level in and around the box with the extra bit of creative sharpness but i have no doubt he'll get there.

I do get your point and having watched him since he was a Montpellier player, I agree he has what it takes to be one of the best strikers around. However, it's easy to see why many fans including myself get so frustated with him. His decision making is still quite horrendous particularly in tight, difficult games when we get very few chances and should be taking them to have a chance of winning.
He needs to keep it simple and be a bit more consistent. We have enough players who play well when the whole team is playing well. We need more players who can step up when things are going bad. That' s what is lacking and that's what Giroud hasn't provided yet.

don't worry about our fans, they are the most reactionary ones around. They'll all become huge Giroud fans the moment he starts scoring on a regular basis.
addict
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Zedie » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:48 am

Omphi93 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Callum wrote:
arsenaltilltheENDbrother wrote:Still anyone laughing about my brother? Keep on hating haters....Giroud till the end...Motm!

Its not that we're starting to see the light .......... its that he's playing better.

There is a difference.

Nothings changed, been playing at a level for a while, in fact this is the same level of performance many have been championing, the change if there was one occured in the break after his first season before his second during that Asiain pre season tour.

Literally playing his textbook game, last year averaging just under 1 in every 2, being top scorer one of the leading creative players was rated second last in the entire squad in player of the year votes,AFC winning inspite of him etc, remember saying how id never heard of a striker who averaged just under 1 in 2 or one who created so many oppurunities in and around the box come under such fire.

This year just under 1 in 2, same game, same strengths same weaknesses. The only thing thats changed is that Arsenal fans have a close refference point.Its easy to dismiss linkup,arieal ability,strength,angled passes,pulling off the defender,drawing defenders,the balance between a brute ariel threat and intricate ground game etc etc when its always present, take it away , wait somethings not quite right.

Eyes are opened, unfortunatly it took an injury for many to see but quite a few people i know have changed tunes, some noticed when he was out and some came to the realization when he came back.He isnt playing at abnormal level he is playing at his leading striker of AFC, French International, rated by Klopp,rated by Wenger level.

Standard
Still not at last seasons level in and around the box with the extra bit of creative sharpness but i have no doubt he'll get there.

Legendary post.

Amazing how him being rotated and remaining fresher has allowed him to play at the energy level he needs to make people notice the things he has always been doing.

His little flicks make the ball and therefore passage of play move a lot quicker, meaning defenses don't have time to set.

His aerial presence means the ball sticks up top for longer.

His movement means others get in to more space for chances.

He's also a big guy so most of the time he does need to be fouled in order to be stopped (if the ref wants to give it or not).

People were so busy tearing into giroud that they didn't stop to actually analyse what he actually does on the pitch for us and how important it is.

That he now has pace merchants to play off him will only do us a solid in the long run.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Pudpop » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:07 pm

Zedie wrote:
Omphi93 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Callum wrote:

There is a difference.

Standard

Legendary post.

Amazing how him being rotated and remaining fresher has allowed him to play at the energy level he needs to make people notice the things he has always been doing.

His little flicks make the ball and therefore passage of play move a lot quicker, meaning defenses don't have time to set.

He's also a big guy so most of the time he does need to be fouled in order to be stopped (if the ref wants to give it or not).

People were so busy tearing into giroud that they didn't stop to actually analyse what he actually does on the pitch for us and how important it is.

That he now has pace merchants to play off him will only do us a solid in the long run.

Oh how quickly people seem to forget...

His little flicks were great, and then he started doing them all the time and in the wrong situations, wasting good chances.

His aerial presence is great, until he meets a strong CB that has his number, and he basically becomes a lump standing around upfield (hence people calling him a lamppost)

His movement is great, until we play a team and he spends 90 minutes in the centre of the field waiting around moping (granted, that was because of lack of rotation, but still)

Giroud's problem has always been his consistency. Don't get excited by the fact that he's playing well now. Give it time before we start lauding him as a top striker etc.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby addict » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:10 pm

Pudpop wrote:
Zedie wrote:
Omphi93 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Callum wrote:

There is a difference.

Standard

Legendary post.

Oh how quickly people seem to forget...

His little flicks were great, and then he started doing them all the time and in the wrong situations, wasting good chances.

His aerial presence is great, until he meets a strong CB that has his number, and he basically becomes a lump standing around upfield (hence people calling him a lamppost)

His movement is great, until we play a team and he spends 90 minutes in the centre of the field waiting around moping (granted, that was because of lack of rotation, but still)

Giroud's problem has always been his consistency. Don't get excited by the fact that he's playing well now. Give it time before we start lauding him as a top striker etc.

THIS
addict
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:24 pm

:arsenal3: Great win, first time in the league this season where we played good football and dominated the game. If we can beat Lolerfool at their shitty little ground next week then I will have some optimism going into the new yea and January window.

One win does not change anything but the manner in which we won last night is to be applauded and savoured.
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Apollo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:58 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:I think you've mistaken what I mean or have taken it a bit to far.

I said he's "playing better" not that his level as a player has increased or that he's become a super striker he's simply playing well, now with what Giroud does (poaches for goals) him playing better is as Vavavoom pointed out ........ taking his chances.

Yes these goal mouth opportunities in the box from crosses are typical Giroud so no change there but that shot he did 2-3 games ago wasn't typical Giroud and he's also being a bit more mobile popping up in different areas of the pitch.

But I would suggest caution as per usual people (Giroud fans) are celebrating way to early, lets see over the next few games if he A) keeps it up and B) doesn't start messing up chances and looking to the sky's cursing out God again.

Im not celebrating. this is what i expect from Giroud, and that is the point.

He will miss some chances he will score chances.I think it may be dificult to reconcile the two different viewpoints though, before the season i said he's a top 5 striker still think the same now, and the past 18 months is the reason, trust me this opinion hasnt been formed off the back of 2 goals vs Newcastle and a good good game vs Soton as you well know.

So "celebrating way too early" wouldnt be the right phrase.In fact if anything im playing down his performances, when he gets fully back to a reglar level of one touch wizzardry,or infield headers start hitting his runners and he start creating more attacks i'll be sure to let it be known lol.

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Re: 13/12/14 | Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle | Premier League

Postby Santi » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:03 pm

He's decent, same as before. Welbeck covers his flaws and he does the same for Welbeck hence it's better now and having both on the pitch works well.

Both aren't top class but can do enough for now.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby arsebandit » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:18 pm

One swallow does not make a summer.. I shall not judge giroud on a game against a poor Newcastle.. I always want him to play well and create & score goals... He is simply the best we have.. Which reflects our current standing in the game... Average also rans... Sums him up in my book.
arsebandit
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:14 pm

Mesüt wrote:He's decent, same as before. Welbeck covers his flaws and he does the same for Welbeck hence it's better now and having both on the pitch works well.

Both aren't top class but can do enough for now.

This, Welbeck gets in the box every opportunity he gets because he's not a winger and that's helping Giroud by not being alone up front, it gives the CB's someone else to mark.

Also one glaring problem I had with Giroud and why its takes a bit of getting used to is at AFC we've always had some of the greatest strikers in the game, players who can make things happen on their own.

Giroud's issue is if the team plays bad then so does he because he is basically 90% reliant on their service, its better than nothing because he's a top box striker, his timing of his runs and his headers are great but if Sanchez and Bellerin don't make those crosses Giroud is a bystander.

We need the Podolski's and Welbeck's as well to make us truly dangerous by having mobile strikers as well as a box finisher in case those crosses don't come, I really think we should be playing 4-4-1-1 as standard or 4-3-3, the way Welbeck keeps drifting up front we practically do anyway.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:28 pm

I was at THAT 4-4 horror show. And let me tell you, that was a long journey home.

Every result we get against this lot makes me cackle like a witch.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Previous

Return to Matchday Chat 2014-15