Wigan 1-1 Arsenal (2-4 pens) | The FA Cup 12/04/14

Re: Wigan 1-1 Arsenal (4-2 pens) | The FA Cup 12/04/14

Postby Royal Gooner » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:17 am

VAVAVOOM 14 wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
billo2007 wrote:Hard to please = bitter?

not so sure id go along with that its a bit too cliche to call Roy Keane bitter for me.
what has he got to be bitter over? hes one of the best players of all time.


Maybe because he was never part of the greatest team in the PL era.


And who might that be?

He's won The Treble which is more impressive than going a season unbeaten.


You know full well i'm referring to the Invincibles. And to be frank, that united team couldn't hold a candle to them.
User avatar
Royal Gooner
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 8866
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:38 pm

Re: Wigan 1-1 Arsenal (4-2 pens) | The FA Cup 12/04/14

Postby Angelito » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:45 am

Winning the Treble is certainly impressive and I hope we do it someday, but being the Invincibles means that you're the FINEST set of players in the history of the PL, the greatest team in PL history--a team that nobody could beat and THAT is something truly special.

As a whole, Treble is a mighty accomplishment, of course. But I want to ask you guys a question, if you could, would you trade one loss in the Invincibles season for the CL in 2006? I know I would.
Image
User avatar
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 26095
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 9:32 am
Location: The Overlook Hotel

Re: Wigan 1-1 Arsenal (4-2 pens) | The FA Cup 12/04/14

Postby Zedie » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:46 am

VAVAVOOM 14 wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
billo2007 wrote:Hard to please = bitter?

not so sure id go along with that its a bit too cliche to call Roy Keane bitter for me.
what has he got to be bitter over? hes one of the best players of all time.


Maybe because he was never part of the greatest team in the PL era.


And who might that be?

He's won The Treble which is more impressive than going a season unbeaten.


Lol!
Image
User avatar
Zedie
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 33184
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:09 pm
Location: in the man cave

Re: Wigan 1-1 Arsenal (4-2 pens) | The FA Cup 12/04/14

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:59 am

Winning the Premiership, Champions league and the FA Cup in one season is more impressive than going a season unbeaten imo.

The unbeaten run is a great achievement but its still only a premiership achievement, the treble means you win 3 trophies in one campaign, your the best domestically and internationally in three competitions.
Image
User avatar
DiamondGooner
Member of the Year 2018
Member of the Year 2018
 
Posts: 19788
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:35 am
Location: At the Gucci store

Re: Wigan 1-1 Arsenal (4-2 pens) | The FA Cup 12/04/14

Postby Royal Gooner » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:04 am

DiamondGooner wrote:Winning the Premiership, Champions league and the FA Cup in one season is more impressive than going a season unbeaten imo.

The unbeaten run is a great achievement but its still only a premiership achievement, the treble means you win 3 trophies in one campaign, your the best domestically and internationally in three competitions.


They only got that through flukey goals in the cl final and an undeserved random shot in the fa cup semi.
User avatar
Royal Gooner
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 8866
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:38 pm

Re: Wigan 1-1 Arsenal (4-2 pens) | The FA Cup 12/04/14

Postby Angelito » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:59 am

Royal Gooner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:Winning the Premiership, Champions league and the FA Cup in one season is more impressive than going a season unbeaten imo.

The unbeaten run is a great achievement but its still only a premiership achievement, the treble means you win 3 trophies in one campaign, your the best domestically and internationally in three competitions.


They only got that through flukey goals in the cl final and an undeserved random shot in the fa cup semi.


1999 ManU honors:

Champions League
English Premier League
FA Cup.

I don't see what you stated written in the history books. In sports, the end is all that matters--not the means to the end.
Image
User avatar
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 26095
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 9:32 am
Location: The Overlook Hotel

Re: Wigan 1-1 Arsenal (4-2 pens) | The FA Cup 12/04/14

Postby Royal Gooner » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:03 am

Angelito wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:Winning the Premiership, Champions league and the FA Cup in one season is more impressive than going a season unbeaten imo.

The unbeaten run is a great achievement but its still only a premiership achievement, the treble means you win 3 trophies in one campaign, your the best domestically and internationally in three competitions.


They only got that through flukey goals in the cl final and an undeserved random shot in the fa cup semi.


1999 ManU honors:

Champions League
English Premier League
FA Cup.

I don't see what you stated written in the history books. In sports, the end is all that matters--not the means to the end.


You spelt "honours" wrong. I suggest you look at the actual footage not books because the easy way to take things like that on face value.
User avatar
Royal Gooner
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 8866
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:38 pm

Re: Wigan 1-1 Arsenal (4-2 pens) | The FA Cup 12/04/14

Postby Angelito » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:06 am

Royal Gooner wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:Winning the Premiership, Champions league and the FA Cup in one season is more impressive than going a season unbeaten imo.

The unbeaten run is a great achievement but its still only a premiership achievement, the treble means you win 3 trophies in one campaign, your the best domestically and internationally in three competitions.


They only got that through flukey goals in the cl final and an undeserved random shot in the fa cup semi.


1999 ManU honors:

Champions League
English Premier League
FA Cup.

I don't see what you stated written in the history books. In sports, the end is all that matters--not the means to the end.


You spelt "honours" wrong. I suggest you look at the actual footage not books because the easy way to take things like that on face value.


I didn't spell it wrong. It depends on where you studied and where you work.

And, you didn't get the gist of it. What matters is what you accomplish, not how you accomplished what (in sports). ManU won the Treble and it doesn't matter how because they won and that's all that matters. History will tell you that. It won't write a book on how it was "undeserved" and as far as I'm concerned, you only deserve what you get and if you don't, you never deserved it.
Image
User avatar
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 26095
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 9:32 am
Location: The Overlook Hotel

Re: Wigan 1-1 Arsenal (4-2 pens) | The FA Cup 12/04/14

Postby AAIRE99 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:03 am

On top of that Keane clearly felt he was better than Viera if you ever heard him speak.
Pretty sure he said something along the lines of if he turned up hed come out on top 80% of the time.

Even though everyone hates him Keane would be my number 1 in CM from the EPL since it started.
Paddy would probably be in there with him if not on the bench.

Invincibles vs Treble hard to call. Two quality achievements.
Its interesting how both of them failed around 30yrs old to injurys. Hardly surprising they were 2 of the most physical seen over here.
Christ could you imagine a team with Vidic, Viera and Keane in it. You would be in alot of pain playing up front for sure.
Last edited by AAIRE99 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
AAIRE99
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 6910
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:39 pm

Re: Wigan 1-1 Arsenal (4-2 pens) | The FA Cup 12/04/14

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:06 am

Royal Gooner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:Winning the Premiership, Champions league and the FA Cup in one season is more impressive than going a season unbeaten imo.

The unbeaten run is a great achievement but its still only a premiership achievement, the treble means you win 3 trophies in one campaign, your the best domestically and internationally in three competitions.


They only got that through flukey goals in the cl final and an undeserved random shot in the fa cup semi.


Are trying to tell us that winning the treble is "lucky"?

:think:
Image
User avatar
DiamondGooner
Member of the Year 2018
Member of the Year 2018
 
Posts: 19788
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:35 am
Location: At the Gucci store

Re: Wigan 1-1 Arsenal (4-2 pens) | The FA Cup 12/04/14

Postby AAIRE99 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:07 am

Who the f**k said that? it was 1 - 0 going into injury time ffs!

Hardly flukey we could have won in ET even which is pretty standard....

I used to have the VHS video of the Treble when I was a kid lol. I used to watch it all the time for years.
Best game I seen that season is the best game I recall seeing was Arsenal V United at Villa Park FA Cup SF(2)

. From then I decided I would definetly go to a Arse United match. Went to see United for the first time and we lost 1 - 0 to Arsenal in 90th minute.
And on top of that I had to bring my missus as my mate backed out and if you knew she was chinese and wearing a United Jersey you would all laugh alot lol. Bless her...
User avatar
AAIRE99
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 6910
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:39 pm

Re: Wigan 1-1 Arsenal (4-2 pens) | The FA Cup 12/04/14

Postby Massa » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:11 am

Winning a treble > Being invincible

Invincibles team > Treble team
Image
User avatar
Massa
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 36377
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: Wigan 1-1 Arsenal (4-2 pens) | The FA Cup 12/04/14

Postby AAIRE99 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:14 am

Dunno man its a fair point if you take Keane out Arsenal are 100% better i know that.
Im not sure though.
User avatar
AAIRE99
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 6910
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:39 pm

Re: Wigan 1-1 Arsenal (4-2 pens) | The FA Cup 12/04/14

Postby Massa » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:18 am

billo2007 wrote:Dunno man its a fair point if you take Keane out Arsenal are 100% better i know that.
Im not sure though.

It was the strikers that did it for me. Your CM's as a paring is better, our wingers are equal, defence is half & half but both Henry and Bergkamp were world class and are a different level to Cole and Yorke despite them having a top partnership.
Image
User avatar
Massa
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 36377
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: Wigan 1-1 Arsenal (4-2 pens) | The FA Cup 12/04/14

Postby AAIRE99 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:34 am

Ye they were probably the better strikers Henry was anyway. The old Beckham supply line was the key for Yorke and Cole alot of the time.

Yorke and Cole probably had the edge when they got someone "2 on 1" I heard they were quite the double teaming act actually :rofll:
User avatar
AAIRE99
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 6910
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:39 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 13/14

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest