Everton 3-0 Arsenal | Premier League 06/04/14

Re: Everton 3-0 Arsenal | Premier League 06/04/14

Postby Massa » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:48 pm

Zedie wrote:
GunnGunn wrote:
Zedie wrote:
Plymöuth Gööner wrote:^ Yeah, its not Wenger's fault the star striker we signed in the summer is out injured and we're stuck with Giroud...

:confused:

A star striker wouldnt do shit with our current midfield. We cant even get the ball to other runners who end up at ST position let alone Giroud ffs.

The only time we did was with Ramsey and Ox on v Everton. Even if we had RvP still, firstly we'd still have to play Giroud lol, secondly, we probably still would have lost 3-0, as the midfield were playing in treacle.

RvP or anyone else couldnt have solved all our problems v Everton and all the other shite games weve played so far.

Err...Van Persie very regularly had to drop deep to get the ball because service was lacking. It didn't stop him scoring important goals. Good strikers involve themselves in play. Not f***ing around goal hanging like we all did as kids.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

So how comes rvp didnt fire us to glory when we had 5-6 first team players out during the 1 full season he was alive?

Rest of our team is better now on the whole
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:45 pm

Zedie wrote:
GunnGunn wrote:
Zedie wrote:
Plymöuth Gööner wrote:^ Yeah, its not Wenger's fault the star striker we signed in the summer is out injured and we're stuck with Giroud...

A star striker wouldnt do shit with our current midfield. We cant even get the ball to other runners who end up at ST position let alone Giroud ffs.

The only time we did was with Ramsey and Ox on v Everton. Even if we had RvP still, firstly we'd still have to play Giroud lol, secondly, we probably still would have lost 3-0, as the midfield were playing in treacle.

RvP or anyone else couldnt have solved all our problems v Everton and all the other shite games weve played so far.

Err...Van Persie very regularly had to drop deep to get the ball because service was lacking. It didn't stop him scoring important goals. Good strikers involve themselves in play. Not f***ing around goal hanging like we all did as kids.

So how comes rvp didnt fire us to glory when we had 5-6 first team players out during the 1 full season he was alive?

I can't help but feel that that isn't a serious question... you can't be serious, can you?
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Leody » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:13 pm

GunnGunn wrote:
Zedie wrote:
GunnGunn wrote:
Zedie wrote:

He was too busy dragging our arses to 4th/3rd.

Defensively, other than the Royal dickings we've been very solid for the first time in over a decade, we bought Ozil and Ramsey established himself as a quality midfielder.

Van Persie was largely responsible for our great finish the season before last, we started that season badly but finished strongly, we started this one fantastically because there was no disruption to our team and for the first time in what seems like ever, three teams who finished above us all changed managers.

We've dropped off because we lack quality, if we had RvP fit and firing we'd have the title sewn up by now or would at the very least still be challenging.

People talk about injuries like they have dementia. It happens every f***ing season, its no excuse anymore because we should have adequate cover in all areas.

But a quality striker in place of Giroud, even with the current midfield and we'd still be much better off.

Amen...

Every year we lose a couple of key players to a mysterious muscle injury, that is reported to be minor and then we hear nothing for over 3 months.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby GSK_AFC » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:28 pm

I still dont understand when people say you need an adequate replacement for when you get injuries though. Are people saying we need another player on the same level as Ramsey and Özil? What are the chances of us buying somebody like Vidal or Silva as back up?
When you get injuries to most of your best players at the same time there's no much you can do about it unless you have oil money IMO.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Yago » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:31 pm

Players like them wouldn't be back-ups.
Yago
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner

Postby GSK_AFC » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:53 pm

Yago wrote:Players like them wouldn't be back-ups.

Exactly so what counts as an adequate replacement?
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zedie » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:54 pm

GSK_AFC wrote:I still dont understand when people say you need an adequate replacement for when you get injuries though. Are people saying we need another player on the same level as Ramsey and Özil? What are the chances of us buying somebody like Vidal or Silva as back up?
When you get injuries to most of your best players at the same time there's no much you can do about it unless you have oil money IMO.

I think this is the critical point.

Its inevitable that we are held to the same bar of success as the other top teams as we were successful when the top tier field was smaller and have been jsut good enough to get into Europe consistently after the proper success. One thing no one can ever get away from, is that the rest of the big 4 (Chelsea/City/Man U) have spent significantly more than we even have in reserves to get head and shoulders above us trophy wise.

Its debatable whether we go for broke and spend all of the £150-£200m in reserves to get squads that can match Chelsea and City = squads that can genuinely compete on all fronts simultaneously. In any case, the board would never do that.

Arsenal's bottom line is probably +£200m clearly.

Chelsea/City/Man Us bottom line is -£600-700m approx :dontknow:

Different starting positions of course, but ultimately, we cant dance with these guys when it comes to the transfer market when buying in volume. Just look at what the other two have spent/sold this season.

I think Gunflash(?) put it perfectly in another thread when referring to the fans opinions, but it can be applied to us financially = success wise as well. We have a squad and money to be better than those below us, but possibly not good enough to genuinely be better than those above us.

Where do we go? Play it like Spurs and Lpool and drop out of competitions early to give our smaller squad the chance to genuinely compete in 1-2 competitions ie FA + LC / PL + FA / PL + CL / PL / CL etc (probably not with AW in charge)

or

Spunk all our money to break that glass ceiling? (not with Kronke + co in charge)

It's frustrating to watch, because we have the power to build a sick squad now with the Puma etc money, but if we go for world beaters (Suarez/Cavani/Draxler etc), it'll be 1-2 per season coming in, if we go for lower level players it will be more bodies in at once, but at the price of quality (ie Gervinho / Remy / Schniederlin etc).

While this is all happening, Chelsea / City have high value players they already bought to offload and spend money on new high value players, adding to squads that are already superior numbers and quality wise across the board.

We are to City and Chelsea what Spurs are to us:

Good/great first 11, but not enough to truly beat above our weight over the whole race, once you go below the first 11.

My 2 pence worth anyways....
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby CynicalGooner » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:40 pm

So yeah this game killed our season for me. What a depressing performance, result and all round day. I'll still watch our games but with no great enthusiam

Oh well still got the FA cup... we couldn't possibly f**k that up right
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby badup » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:20 am

I think Giroud is still trying to catch up to that back pass.
badup
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:47 am

CynicalGooner wrote:So yeah this game killed our season for me. What a depressing performance, result and all round day. I'll still watch our games but with no great enthusiam

Oh well still got the FA cup... we couldn't possibly f**k that up right

Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Previous

Return to Matchday Chat 2013-14