Stoke City 1-0 Arsenal | Premier League 01/03/14

Re: Stoke City vs Arsenal | Premier League 01/03/14

Postby Gunpowder » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:34 pm

Zenith wrote:
StokeFan wrote:
Cripps wrote:The comment about it being one of the worst things to happen on a football field is a fair one.

Having a fellow professional go out and intentionally break your leg is a disgusting act and should not happen

Cripps, I'm sorry but I don't believe that Ryan Shawcross intentionally went out to hurt Aaron Ramsey. What happened was a terrible accident ultimately caused by a clumsy mistimed tackle.

Agreed.

Same here. He made a very stupid decision with slide in like that but I think his instant reaction is good enough to show he didn't mean it.
Gunpowder
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Santi » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:37 pm

I hope everyone is wearing RAMSEY 16 t-shirts under their kits so no matter who scores for us (assuming they do) we can rub it in their faces :)
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby StokeFan » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:01 am

ThereIsBearCüm wrote:
StokeFan wrote:
ThereIsBearCüm wrote:You can't tell me that the majority doesn't boo Rambo. And don't try and hide behind the "they're the opposition, they're fair game" argument. If that was the case, why don't you boo all of our players?

To be honest, I boo most of your players. I reserve special extended booing for Wilshere, Cazorla an

So you're saying the broadcasters add the boos themselves every time Ramsey gets on the ball?

I go to the games, so I wouldn't know what the atmosphere is like on TV. I can categorically tell you that sitting in my stand (Boothen End, opposite the away end), I've never heard more than a few ruffled boos and drunk W****rs who sing the same song week in week out with a different name. No different to the idiots who sing Munich songs to Manchester United fans and Hillsborough songs to Liverpool. I'm pretty sure they're no different to the idiots who turn up to your games with the sole aim of ruining them for other people.

ThereIsBearCüm wrote:If it wasn't dangerously high, how did Rambo's leg get snapped halfway between the knee and the ankle? You can't seriously be defending that tackle, it was f***ing atrocious.

I'm not defending it. When have I defended it? I've defended Ryan Shawcross, because I think those who suggest it was intentional are absolutely wrong. I've not looked at the exact spot that Ramsey snapped his leg but I thought it was his shin? If so, that would suggest the tackle was much lower than you're suggesting.
I genuinely don't want a row over this but in reality, the tackle itself was no more dangerous than the tackle Flamini put in a few weeks back. It was no more dangerous than the tackle Wilshere put in on Jermaine Pennant a few seasons back. The difference was the consequences, which in the case of Shawcross-Ramsey were horrific and a very talented young man had his career put on hold. Pennant's leg gave way and possibly saved him from a broken leg and Flamini didn't seem to catch the Southampton man but who knows if he had? Unfortunately, Ramsey's leg was planted and the sheer force of the tackle caused a horrific injury.

Put it like this, I'm pretty sure Ryan Shawcross will put that tackle down as the worst mistake of his professional career, not just because of the terrible injury he caused to Ramsey, but because of the effect it's had on his own footballing career. So like I said, to suggest it was intentional is just wrong I'm afraid.

Mesüt wrote:I hope everyone is wearing RAMSEY 16 t-shirts under their kits so no matter who scores for us (assuming they do) we can rub it in their faces :)

Rub what in our faces? I don't understand... I thought the whole point was to get past this ridiculous situation that keeps rearing its ugly head every time we play each other. It was a long time ago and considering the season Ramsey has had, there is no reason for it to continue. I've condemned my own fans, so I'm not going to say well you go right ahead and act like a dick, so to speak... Wear whatever shirt you like my friend, walk past a few Stoke fans and make sure you show it them, but don't take the moral high ground if you get upset when those fans you mocked sing "there's only one Ryan Shawcross", because that's what I call 'blind hypocrisy'. You support your player because he's your player, and we will support ours. What happened in the past should be completely irrelevant...

Or do you simply want this thing to go on, and on, and on, and on?
StokeFan
Banned

Postby dammyGunner » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:40 am

StokeFan wrote:
ThereIsBearCüm wrote:
StokeFan wrote:
ThereIsBearCüm wrote:You can't tell me that the majority doesn't boo Rambo. And don't try and hide behind the "they're the opposition, they're fair game" argument. If that was the case, why don't you boo all of our players?

To be honest, I boo most of your players. I reserve special extended booing for Wilshere, Cazorla an

So you're saying the broadcasters add the boos themselves every time Ramsey gets on the ball?

I go to the games, so I wouldn't know what the atmosphere is like on TV. I can categorically tell you that sitting in my stand (Boothen End, opposite the away end), I've never heard more than a few ruffled boos and drunk W****rs who sing the same song week in week out with a different name. No different to the idiots who sing Munich songs to Manchester United fans and Hillsborough songs to Liverpool. I'm pretty sure they're no different to the idiots who turn up to your games with the sole aim of ruining them for other people.

ThereIsBearCüm wrote:If it wasn't dangerously high, how did Rambo's leg get snapped halfway between the knee and the ankle? You can't seriously be defending that tackle, it was f***ing atrocious.

I'm not defending it. When have I defended it? I've defended Ryan Shawcross, because I think those who suggest it was intentional are absolutely wrong. I've not looked at the exact spot that Ramsey snapped his leg but I thought it was his shin? If so, that would suggest the tackle was much lower than you're suggesting.
I genuinely don't want a row over this but in reality, the tackle itself was no more dangerous than the tackle Flamini put in a few weeks back. It was no more dangerous than the tackle Wilshere put in on Jermaine Pennant a few seasons back. The difference was the consequences, which in the case of Shawcross-Ramsey were horrific and a very talented young man had his career put on hold. Pennant's leg gave way and possibly saved him from a broken leg and Flamini didn't seem to catch the Southampton man but who knows if he had? Unfortunately, Ramsey's leg was planted and the sheer force of the tackle caused a horrific injury.

Put it like this, I'm pretty sure Ryan Shawcross will put that tackle down as the worst mistake of his professional career, not just because of the terrible injury he caused to Ramsey, but because of the effect it's had on his own footballing career. So like I said, to suggest it was intentional is just wrong I'm afraid.

Mesüt wrote:I hope everyone is wearing RAMSEY 16 t-shirts under their kits so no matter who scores for us (assuming they do) we can rub it in their faces :)

Rub what in our faces? I don't understand... I thought the whole point was to get past this ridiculous situation that keeps rearing its ugly head every time we play each other. It was a long time ago and considering the season Ramsey has had, there is no reason for it to continue. I've condemned my own fans, so I'm not going to say well you go right ahead and act like a dick, so to speak... Wear whatever shirt you like my friend, walk past a few Stoke fans and make sure you show it them, but don't take the moral high ground if you get upset when those fans you mocked sing "there's only one Ryan Shawcross", because that's what I call 'blind hypocrisy'. You support your player because he's your player, and we will support ours. What happened in the past should be completely irrelevant...

Or do you simply want this thing to go on, and on, and on, and on?

:clap: Sign Him up, Sign him up, Sign him up!
dammyGunner
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Lucky7 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:47 pm

StokeFan:

1) I agree with regards to the tackle. I'd say just about everything negative you can about the tackle except that it was intentionally meant to injure Ramsey. Poorly timed, unnecessary (field position), stupid, unnecessarily aggressive, etc. I disagree that it's a common tackle mainly because of the combination of speed and height he went in with. it's exceptionally bad. But it wasn't meant to hurt the player.

2) I completely agree with your sentiment that BOTH sets of FANS need to move on. This can be handled on both the fan side and the media side. There is clear booing on the broadcasts every time that Ramsey touches the ball. It's obviously not the whole stadium, but from a viewers perspective it's difficult to tell anything other than the stoke fans are booing him. This causes feedback from the broadcasters, and they don't pull their punches with regards to painting the entire stoke city support with a broad brush. Cut the media aspect out, cut the crowd noise down so that the booing isn't heard (I suspect they might actually increase the crowd noise for the broadcast), don't have the broadcasters comment on it. This alone would reduce the animosity.

3) If Ramsey is still upset about what happened and how he's been treated after the fact...he has all the right in the world to do so. Whether what he's said in the past has been hyperbole (worst thing to ever happen on a football pitch quote) or not. That just shows how devastated he was by the injury. And it was devastating. The fact that he has recovered doesn't mean that it wasn't that bad of an injury. It means that Ramsey was this good. He put in the effort and has the mentality to recover from the injury and return to a high level without flinching a muscle when tackles come in. If him shushing a set of booing fans keeps setting them off, and he wants to keep doing that, I have no problem with it. It's his choice. This happened to him, not us, not shawcross. He gets to choose when he's over the injury (which I think he's well over) and the abuse he's received.

The stoke fans that refer to him as "calcium deficient" etc. They are right, he is calcium deficient. He's pure f***ing steel and he's shown that since he's returned.
Lucky7
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:32 pm

Team news: Who's fit to face Stoke?

Arsène Wenger gave the following fitness updates at his pre-match press conference:

on the team news…
We have uncertainties about Monreal who had to come off last week with a foot injury, and about Gibbs. Vermaelen is back in the squad, Ozil is back in the squad. Both are available.

on Vermaelen covering the left back position…
If needed Thomas can play there, it's not his preferred position and he has been out for a long time now but we'll see. I still have 48 hours to make a decision.

Source: http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... ace-stoke-
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby Dejan » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:38 pm

just play vermaelen left back ffs
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Massa » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:19 pm

Or Sagna
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Zedie » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:33 am

I bet he goes Flamini LB. Is Arteta still banned?
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:39 am

Play Verm alongside Kos and BFG.

I actually would like to see Arteta play this. Hes a nasty little thug and thats what we need against this lot.

I would also say Jenkinson would be a good shout at rb for the same reason. Hes a massive unit.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby UFGN » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:55 am

If Arteta isn't banned....

Szchezza

L'Sagna BFG Kos Verm

Arteta Flammer

Rozza Chambo Poldi

Giroud

Try bullying that lot
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:59 am

UFGN wrote:If Arteta isn't banned....

Szchezza

L'Sagna BFG Kos Verm

Arteta Flammer

Rozza Chambo Poldi

Giroud

Try bullying that lot

:rofll:
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Yago » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:13 am

Flamini at LB, Arteta - Wilshere at CM, Ox - Ozil - Cazorla, Giroud up front. That's what I expect anyway (not what I want).
Yago
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:41 am

StokeFan wrote:I'm not defending it.

StokeFan wrote: he isn't dangerously high and his stoods [sic] aren't showing. It was forceful, but mostly, it was late and it was a terrible accident.
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby ivan itchybum » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:50 am

Nervous about playing Ozil against these tbh.. Obviously going to be targeted.
gooney wrote: I will have a bet with anyone who is willing to take Newcastle will finish ahead of us...how about loser leaves the forum?

13th of May 2012 Arsenal beat West Brom 3-2 to finish 3rd ahead of Newcastle. Gooney is still yet to leave the forum...

"Have faith in Ramsey, he'll come good"
ivan itchybum
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2013-14