Liverpool 5-1 Arsenal | Premier League 08/01/13

Re: Liverpool 5-1 Arsenal | Premier League 08/01/13

Postby Zedie » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:02 pm

Can anyone remember who Jon Flanagan went in 2 footed on?

Completely forgotten, need it asap for a blog im writing.

Cheers.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Massa » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:04 pm

Zedie wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Zinc wrote:The mediocre fan who was actually attending the away game and supporting the team. Yeah, what mediocre away fans we have, they can't hold a candle to the keyboard warriors.

Nice fail.

Yes he goes to games ........ so does that make him all seeing, all knowing?

I'm not questioning his value as a fan of the club I said he's another fan who is happy with the mediocre standards we're now being fed as opposed to when we were a real competitive club.
You don't have to sell me the "respect fans that go to games" line because that's a given, however that doesn't mean he's a fan I have to agree with.
UFGN goes to games, I'll take his perspective over Moh's cheers and thank you.

Even then as I said, I was agreeing with him until the excuses started rolling in like the Queen Mary.

How do you believe Diego Costa would have prevented those goals?

Where did he mention Diego Costa
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Zedie » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:05 pm

Massa wrote:
Zedie wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Zinc wrote:The mediocre fan who was actually attending the away game and supporting the team. Yeah, what mediocre away fans we have, they can't hold a candle to the keyboard warriors.

Nice fail.

I'm not questioning his value as a fan of the club I said he's another fan who is happy with the mediocre standards we're now being fed as opposed to when we were a real competitive club.
You don't have to sell me the "respect fans that go to games" line because that's a given, however that doesn't mean he's a fan I have to agree with.

Even then as I said, I was agreeing with him until the excuses started rolling in like the Queen Mary.

He mentioned no signings that we all wanted earlier and mentioned he wanted to punch Moh when he said a striker wouldnt have made a difference yesterday.

Diego Costa is such a striker.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Massa » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:07 pm

Zedie wrote:
Massa wrote:
Zedie wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Nice fail.

He mentioned no signings that we all wanted earlier and mentioned he wanted to punch Moh when he said a striker wouldnt have made a difference yesterday.

It is a bit of a shit excuse because we'd a) have more points so if we did lose it wouldn't matter as much and b) we'd have scored more goals
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Callum » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:09 pm

The point was that no striker would have stopped us conceding those goals, which is obvious.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:10 pm

Massa wrote:
Zedie wrote:
Massa wrote:
Zedie wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Nice fail.

It is a bit of a shit excuse because we'd a) have more points so if we did lose it wouldn't matter as much and b) we'd have scored more goals

Are you saying Diego Costa would have scored 6 goals yesterday?
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Massa » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:11 pm

Zedie wrote:
Massa wrote:
Zedie wrote:
Massa wrote:
Zedie wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Nice fail.

No

But if we were 5 points clear or whatever would it matter

(plus we only needed 5 goals)
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Callum » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:14 pm

Massa wrote:No

You're missing the point though as he was talking about yesterday's game in isolation. No striker would have stopped those goals from going in for reasons that don't need to be explained. You're changing the debate to something else altogether.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Myrmedus » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:16 pm

Callum wrote:

You're missing the point though as he was talking about yesterday's game in isolation. No striker would have stopped those goals from going in for reasons that don't need to be explained. You're changing the debate to something else altogether.

I'm on the fence in this argument a bit.

Football is a game of momentum, especially in the crunch matches. Having the ability to hit back with a goal of your own can knock the wind out of the opposition. We see it time and time again how goals affect the flow of games massively.

In short, if we'd had a top quality striker and equalised it's quite likely we wouldn't have needed to score 5 goals.

Think of it like a boxing match. If one of the boxers does have enough offensive power to give pause to his opponent then there's very little stopping that opponent from going on an all-out offensive all the time and no matter how much endurance you have you will succumb to that.

Liverpool attacked us in a kamikaze fashion yesterday. The only reason they didn't get bitten in the arse for such a reckless tactic is because we're not dangerous enough offensively to punish them for it.
Last edited by Myrmedus on Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Cannons!!
Myrmedus
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Massa » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:17 pm

Callum wrote:

Yeah but he's trying to nulify the need for a striker

It's like saying it's acceptable to field Park upfront and Ryo on the wing because they wouldn't have stopped the goals from going in.
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Angelito » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:19 pm

No striker would have stopped the goals--kinda a phony argument to have--but with Costa, we wouldn't be trembling at the sight of all the big games yet to play and we'd be comfortably top of the League because, as unanimously accepted, we're a striker away from consolidating our status.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Myrmedus » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:20 pm

Angelito wrote:No striker would have stopped the goals--kinda a phony argument to have--but with Costa, we wouldn't be trembling at the sight of all the big games yet to play and we'd be comfortably top of the League because, as unanimously accepted, we're a striker away from consolidating our status.

Actually disagree.

A striker will stop goals by scoring goals. Psychology is huge in football and if you play really well, go into the lead then get pegged back it's disheartening and it DOES have an effect no matter how good the team is.
Go Cannons!!
Myrmedus
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Zedie » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:20 pm

Massa wrote:
Zedie wrote:
Massa wrote:
Zedie wrote:
Massa wrote:
Zedie wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Nice fail.

No

Chelsea are ahead of us by 1 point, but behind us by 1 goal. only 2 other teams have more goals scored, City and Lpool. Our defense and midfield f***ked us yesterday, not having a striker like Diego Costa or Berbatov etc.

Of course if we had scored more goals in previous draws/losses we would be better off points wise, but don't kid yourself into thinking yesterday was anything other than a complete failure of the whole team and AW and Messi wouldn't have been able to stop it. It could have ended 5-2, 5-3, 7-3 etc. but it will never change the outcome if the whole team are playing like a pub team.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby ivan itchybum » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:21 pm

Zedie wrote:Can anyone remember who Jon Flanagan went in 2 footed on?

Completely forgotten, need it asap for a blog im writing.

Cheers.

Wilshere I'm fairly sure...

Wasn't actually two footed though, no contact made... It was a weird one.
gooney wrote: I will have a bet with anyone who is willing to take Newcastle will finish ahead of us...how about loser leaves the forum?

13th of May 2012 Arsenal beat West Brom 3-2 to finish 3rd ahead of Newcastle. Gooney is still yet to leave the forum...

"Have faith in Ramsey, he'll come good"
ivan itchybum
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Myrmedus » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:23 pm

Zedie wrote:
Massa wrote:
Zedie wrote:
Massa wrote:
Zedie wrote:
Massa wrote:
Zedie wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Nice fail.

No

Chelsea are ahead of us by 1 point, but behind us by 1 goal. only 2 other teams have more goals scored, City and Lpool. Our defense and midfield f***ked us yesterday, not having a striker like Diego Costa or Berbatov etc.

Of course if we had scored more goals in previous draws/losses we would be better off points wise, but don't kid yourself into thinking yesterday was anything other than a complete failure of the whole team and AW and Messi wouldn't have been able to stop it. It could have ended 5-2, 5-3, 7-3 etc. but it will never change the outcome if the whole team are playing like a pub team.

True.

I do think what we missed yesterday was a proper leader tearing shreds into the team for playing so badly. Usually that would be Mert but he was getting skinned too.

However, I do think we also paid the price for lacking top quality up front AND lacking pace in attack. Liverpool had nothing to worry about really in attacking like they did as we had very little to hit back with.

If we'd had a player like Theo on the pitch, honestly, a simple clearance up field from our defence and Theo would've been bearing down on goal. It would've made Liverpool's tactic too dangerous and they would've either eased off or conceded.

I'm not sure why Gnabry wasn't played but if we're not going to be playing Gnabry in games of this pace then we need to reinforce the pace in our team.

A perfect case for this was the City game. We played poorly there too IMO (not as bad as yesterday, admittedly) and conceded a bucket load but we scored 3 goals. Who scored 2 of them?
Go Cannons!!
Myrmedus
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2013-14