Southampton 2-2 Arsenal | Premier League 28/01/14

Re: Southampton 2-2 Arsenal | Premier League 28/01/14

Postby elkanofan » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:37 pm

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:
elkanofan wrote:Luke Shaw is good, people are overhyping him to the max i say.


There is bound to be some over-hyping but he has been consistently good mate. He can defend, has blistering pace and has very good delivery/decision making in the final third.


Southampton do produce good players though!
Image
User avatar
elkanofan
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger
 
Posts: 14029
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: I'm goin Latin America

Re: Southampton 2-2 Arsenal | Premier League 28/01/14

Postby Myrmedus » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:37 pm

Zedie wrote:
gooney wrote:
Mike Dean wrote:
gooney wrote:
Zedie wrote:so wenger lucked his way to our position all this time? honest answers please

Not lucked. But he has had kind fixture list in that our big games has been lumped together and we are about to enter them. Also he had an advantage early on as Chelsea, and city both started with a new manager and staff taking over the team which explains their not so great starts and why they are in full flow now. There is a reason even before tonights game we were 3rd favourite to win the league and why every pundit think its between those 2 clubs. Deep down I think you know as well we are short, but want to use us leading the league as an excuse for not strengthening while the window is open. Worst part is we have been here in 2008. And if we havent learned our lesson from that, then we deserve to suffer again


This.

I also want to add that early on the team was high on spirits because of ozil aquisition and Ramsey's out of this world performance.

This team lacks a consistent scoring threat. Ramsey's form early on in the season covered that up. Since Ramsey's drop in form before his injury and now in light of his extended absence, coupled with Podolski getting limited minutes despite being the best threat in front of goal, this team is getting exposed.

No Ramsey + No striker (threat) = Bad spells like we watched in the match today.

To make matters worse, Chelsea is has improved since the beginning of the season. We still have to play them at their place and Wenger has NEVER won against Mourinho.

Man City will always score a ton of goals and unlike Liverpool they have a midfield that rivals ours. Any logical person will give them the advantage given our team's lack of a striker. They will score plenty of goals. While we will have more spells where we struggle to get a shot on goal. Law of averages is on Man City side.

All the signs are there and I know everyone can see. But I feel the people arguing against it are dishonest. They know by the time we fall short the window will be closed and they will say just get behind the team now, we have the players we have. Then summer comes and the club is slow again and they will say be patient the window is still open. When we dont buy what we need and the window is closed they will say give the team a chance before you moan. Its a vicious circle we live in. And worst of all the man responsible for it got a new contract



Who would you sign right now if you were in the hot seat?


We seem to have honed in on Draxler...only Wenger can say why. If this is the case, get the deal done, stop f***ing about.
Go Cannons!!
Myrmedus
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 2568
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Southampton 2-2 Arsenal | Premier League 28/01/14

Postby gooney » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:02 am

Who would you sign right now if you were in the hot seat?


I would sign Schneiderlin for our midfield and I would sign Mitroglou for our attack. With ramsey injured I would try to loan Gourcuff if it was possible. I know people will not say they are not world clas. But if people think only world class players can add to this team and improve our chances to win something, then we may as well stop talking because we will never agree
gooney
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 15663
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:11 pm

Re: Southampton 2-2 Arsenal | Premier League 28/01/14

Postby Zedie » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:04 am

Myrmedus wrote:
Zedie wrote:
gooney wrote:
Zedie wrote:so wenger lucked his way to our position all this time? honest answers please

Not lucked. But he has had kind fixture list in that our big games has been lumped together and we are about to enter them. Also he had an advantage early on as Chelsea, and city both started with a new manager and staff taking over the team which explains their not so great starts and why they are in full flow now. There is a reason even before tonights game we were 3rd favourite to win the league and why every pundit think its between those 2 clubs. Deep down I think you know as well we are short, but want to use us leading the league as an excuse for not strengthening while the window is open. Worst part is we have been here in 2008. And if we havent learned our lesson from that, then we deserve to suffer again


Also, you seem to keep talking about signings we need, but im sorry, Volland, Berbatov, Jelavic wouldn't have done f**k all about today. The whole team didn't turn up, just like City didn't turn up when they came here, or many other teams they have taken points from at home.


Zedie, the significant of a signing isn't necessarily in this game but in games to come. The problem is that with our striking situation as it is I cannot see us getting a pts haul vs. rivals so we either need to try to address that OR somehow be a margin better against the teams below.

Currently, with City just going apeshit, it doesn't look like better form vs. bottom 14-15 teams is going to be viable so we need to do something to try to strengthen the team for those crunch matches.

Strikers are golden in those games because alot of the time the margins are so slight that the difference between a player who takes an awkward chance and one that fluffs it will win you 6-pointers.



I know!

My point is:

Quite a few people including Gooney have been going on about how shite AWs tactics are after 1 very poor game. I asked a simple question, ie do they think its been pure luck that AW has steered AFC to 1st place after 22 games. Gooney, as ever, shifts the conversation to something else instead of responding to the original discussion.

Regarding signings - a striker would no doubt help our cause going forward, you'd be crazy not to think that, but any old striker isn't the answer. People have come up with Volland, Berba, Jelavic, Lambert etc as viable options.

Costa is either not leaving this window, or if the Chelsea rumours are true, be part of a p/x deal with Courtois (?), something we cant compete with, unless his release clause is active right now when its been widely reported as not.

Martinez - Honestly, hes an orthodox target man, who has found form. He's essentially Giroud, but for 40m and can score goals in Portugal. Everyone assumes that he will arrive, score 30 goals in 16 games and we get the parade, but we could easily be stuck with an overpriced dud a la Torres etc.

We don't need players like Volland, Berba, Jelavic, Lambert clogging up the wage bill for the summer, when some of these top tier strikers are actually available.

I'm one of the few that thinks Benteke could grow at Arsenal, most people think hes shit. People are saying Sturridge, but if we had got him, AW would have got roasted on here, blatantly.

Queue PG repeating 'wait until' but he knows that Berba isn't really going to be the same Berba that was at the scum or Man U. He's going to be that guy that has managed 2 goals from open play this season.

Draxler would defo be better than nothing, but even then, he wouldn't solve our striker issue.

Im simply asking who people would seriously consider signing right now, because most of the time, its more moaning about Wenger than actually stating anyone decent or admitting to themselves who is actually available and not a waste of money.
Image
User avatar
Zedie
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 33184
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:09 pm
Location: in the man cave

Re: Southampton 2-2 Arsenal | Premier League 28/01/14

Postby Callum » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:05 am

Missed the second half because I was playing football, quite glad I did to be honest - sounds like a stressful game and having read the backlash after this place doesn't seem to be a pleasant place to be right now!

Anyway, up the Arsenal. We all want the best for our club even if we see things differently.

:1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif:
User avatar
Callum
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 36633
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 6:58 pm
Location: Kieran Tierney's back pocket

Re: Southampton 2-2 Arsenal | Premier League 28/01/14

Postby gooney » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:08 am

Quite a few people including Gooney have been going on about how shite AWs tactics are after 1 very poor game. I asked a simple question, ie do they think its been pure luck that AW has steered AFC to 1st place after 22 games. Gooney, as ever, shifts the conversation to something else instead of responding to the original discussion.


Wenger is very one dimensional and limited in his tactics. We overcome smaller teams because we have better players. there is a reason why we have such a poor record against good teams. When opposition has similar level of players his poor tactics becomes more evident. Like I said we have done so well combination of kind fixture list and our rivals being unstable early in the season. Now they have settled we will fall behind. why do you think every pundit says he dont see champions in this arsenal team? You think they all hate us?
gooney
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 15663
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:11 pm

Re: Southampton 2-2 Arsenal | Premier League 28/01/14

Postby lexalove » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:27 am

^^ Lets be honest with ourselves...
If Citeh and Chelski both play to their full potential and we play at our best for the rest of the season they will beat us. Their managers are better, their teams are more balanced and they have cover in all the positions. Even Chelski have more striker options than us - one looks a shadow of his former self, one apparently has knees of spagetti and the third is getting his free bus pass next week!!!

Not looking forward to the Munchen and Citeh games at all after this performance.
Let's Make Arsenal Great Again!

#CrookedKroenkeOut - #LyingGazidisOut - #CrazyWengerOut
User avatar
lexalove
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1870
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:11 pm
Location: Pon Di Gaza

Re: Southampton 2-2 Arsenal | Premier League 28/01/14

Postby gooney » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:31 am

lexalove wrote:^^ Lets be honest with ourselves...
If Citeh and Chelski both play to their full potential and we play at our best for the rest of the season they will beat us. Their managers are better, their teams are more balanced and they have cover in all the positions. Even Chelski have more striker options than us - one looks a shadow of his former self, one apparently has knees of spagetti and the third is getting his free bus pass next week!!!

Not looking forward to the Munchen and Citeh games at all after this performance.

True, but my hatred for wenger will reach new levels if he plays a weakened team against Liverpool in the cup and say the league and cl are the most important. Sadly he has signed a new contract by then. I will bet anything the club will hurry with the announce ment before february hard games start. Because after that they know there is no way they can justify giving this loser a new contact
gooney
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 15663
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:11 pm

Re: Southampton 2-2 Arsenal | Premier League 28/01/14

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:32 am

lexalove wrote:^^ Lets be honest with ourselves...
If Citeh and Chelski both play to their full potential and we play at our best for the rest of the season they will beat us. Their managers are better, their teams are more balanced and they have cover in all the positions. Even Chelski have more striker options than us - one looks a shadow of his former self, one apparently has knees of spagetti and the third is getting his free bus pass next week!!!

Not looking forward to the Munchen and Citeh games at all after this performance.




Im not looking forward to the Liverpool FA Cup game now after tonights matches!
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 7188
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:44 am
Location: Moe's Tavern

Re: Southampton 2-2 Arsenal | Premier League 28/01/14

Postby Zedie » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:35 am

gooney wrote:
Quite a few people including Gooney have been going on about how shite AWs tactics are after 1 very poor game. I asked a simple question, ie do they think its been pure luck that AW has steered AFC to 1st place after 22 games. Gooney, as ever, shifts the conversation to something else instead of responding to the original discussion.


Wenger is very one dimensional and limited in his tactics. We overcome smaller teams because we have better players. there is a reason why we have such a poor record against good teams. When opposition has similar level of players his poor tactics becomes more evident. Like I said we have done so well combination of kind fixture list and our rivals being unstable early in the season. Now they have settled we will fall behind. why do you think every pundit says he dont see champions in this arsenal team? You think they all hate us?



Why do you think all the pundits have tipped us to finish mid table or out of the CL places or not being able to overcome the group of death, or not being able to shut out SAS or not being the better side v a scared Chelsea etc?

Why do you place so much importance on what Robbie Savage has to say about us?

Why do you seem to find any excuse other than the others are shit being the only explanation for our success?
Image
User avatar
Zedie
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 33184
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:09 pm
Location: in the man cave

Re: Southampton 2-2 Arsenal | Premier League 28/01/14

Postby gooney » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:43 am

Zedie wrote:
gooney wrote:
Quite a few people including Gooney have been going on about how shite AWs tactics are after 1 very poor game. I asked a simple question, ie do they think its been pure luck that AW has steered AFC to 1st place after 22 games. Gooney, as ever, shifts the conversation to something else instead of responding to the original discussion.


Wenger is very one dimensional and limited in his tactics. We overcome smaller teams because we have better players. there is a reason why we have such a poor record against good teams. When opposition has similar level of players his poor tactics becomes more evident. Like I said we have done so well combination of kind fixture list and our rivals being unstable early in the season. Now they have settled we will fall behind. why do you think every pundit says he dont see champions in this arsenal team? You think they all hate us?



Why do you think all the pundits have tipped us to finish mid table or out of the CL places or not being able to overcome the group of death, or not being able to shut out SAS or not being the better side v a scared Chelsea etc?

Why do you place so much importance on what Robbie Savage has to say about us?

Why do you seem to find any excuse other than the others are shit being the only explanation for our success?

Not one of them tipped us midtable. Before Ozil signing everyone tipped us between 4th to 6th. Like i said this season was much harder to predict because there was alot of instability in the top 3 teams. We had that one big advantage in that we had the same manager and staff. And lets not forget the season is far from over. I think we will just about make the top 4 personally. Before the Ozil signed I believed we would fall out of the top 4 just about. Pretty much everyone had that prediction.

We have Flamini suspended for 3 games
Wilshere is injury prone and has a small injury now
Ramsey is out for 4-6 weeks

Every sane person can see we lack squad depth and as the season goes on we will fall away. Yet our manager and his followers are the only one who cant see that
gooney
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 15663
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:11 pm

Re: Southampton 2-2 Arsenal | Premier League 28/01/14

Postby Zedie » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:04 am

gooney wrote:
Zedie wrote:
gooney wrote:
Quite a few people including Gooney have been going on about how shite AWs tactics are after 1 very poor game. I asked a simple question, ie do they think its been pure luck that AW has steered AFC to 1st place after 22 games. Gooney, as ever, shifts the conversation to something else instead of responding to the original discussion.


Wenger is very one dimensional and limited in his tactics. We overcome smaller teams because we have better players. there is a reason why we have such a poor record against good teams. When opposition has similar level of players his poor tactics becomes more evident. Like I said we have done so well combination of kind fixture list and our rivals being unstable early in the season. Now they have settled we will fall behind. why do you think every pundit says he dont see champions in this arsenal team? You think they all hate us?



Why do you think all the pundits have tipped us to finish mid table or out of the CL places or not being able to overcome the group of death, or not being able to shut out SAS or not being the better side v a scared Chelsea etc?

Why do you place so much importance on what Robbie Savage has to say about us?

Why do you seem to find any excuse other than the others are shit being the only explanation for our success?

Not one of them tipped us midtable. Before Ozil signing everyone tipped us between 4th to 6th. Like i said this season was much harder to predict because there was alot of instability in the top 3 teams. We had that one big advantage in that we had the same manager and staff. And lets not forget the season is far from over. I think we will just about make the top 4 personally. Before the Ozil signed I believed we would fall out of the top 4 just about. Pretty much everyone had that prediction.

We have Flamini suspended for 3 games
Wilshere is injury prone and has a small injury now
Ramsey is out for 4-6 weeks

Every sane person can see we lack squad depth and as the season goes on we will fall away. Yet our manager and his followers are the only one who cant see that


Mate.

pundits tipped us to be mid table in previous seasons.

pundits have always tipped us to fail.

Youve tipped us to fall out of the top 4 for pretty much every year since you've been on here and probably before that, so nothing has really changed.

You and a few others were talking about relegation the year we got done 8-2.

You were a key contributor in the spurs are better than us thread.

When you say the season is far from over, you are literally counting the games we havent played yet where we will lose.

keep waiting. February and march is your best chance to be happy, but ill choose to remember that:
all the teams we have faced can be beaten
that mourinho turned out a team designed to stop us winning rather than to win
that we were the only team to beat bayern at their gaff
that city dont look too convincing on the road against teams that can play
that weve silenced a full force lpool already
that we need 1 more win to complete a scum hatrick
that we smacked the 2nd best team in europe at their gaff this season

That weve done this all with a potato that scored a back heel today to make it 3 in 4 games for the haters.

crack on moaning about 2 points lost or that the end has started AGAIN.

Good luck.
Image
User avatar
Zedie
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 33184
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:09 pm
Location: in the man cave

Re: Southampton 2-2 Arsenal | Premier League 28/01/14

Postby gooney » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:19 am

Show me one pundit who said we will be mid table....just one
gooney
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 15663
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:11 pm

Re: Southampton 2-2 Arsenal | Premier League 28/01/14

Postby Apollo » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:27 am

Whats slightly annoying is the way in which we deal with defeats or setbacks of any kind.

I believe throughout the entire season we have spent three whole gameweeks not on top of the league, and in every one of those weeks it was season defining, season ending and the general board went into a mini crisis, completely ignoring the 20 other weeks we had been top.

Not only are people frustrated with the actual game played(which is understandable as we all are), we have this tendency on projecting a a single loss or draw on the entire establishment, suddenly a bunch of players aren't good enough, suddenly the tactics that have kept up top aren't good enough or Arsene Wenger doesn't have any at all, suddenly the set up have lucked their way to the top of the league, suddenly the greatest record over the past 14 months has been an aberration, and this all happens after one isolated negative fixture without fail.

Started out the season hearing how we couldn't finish in the top four from fans and pundits alike, when we win a bulk of fixtures chirps are largely silenced when we fail to win one it threatens to derail everything we have been building with murmurings of "see i told you they couldnt do it", "Obviously not good enough", "well what do you expect". With none of these applying for any other club in the Premier league when the drop points or fail to put on a positive display

We drew against Southampton yes im dissappointed, lets pack it up, I guess ill see you all in Europa.
Image

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
User avatar
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 8832
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:37 pm
Location: Mt. Olympus

Re: Southampton 2-2 Arsenal | Premier League 28/01/14

Postby panickygooner » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:13 am

gooney wrote:
Quite a few people including Gooney have been going on about how shite AWs tactics are after 1 very poor game. I asked a simple question, ie do they think its been pure luck that AW has steered AFC to 1st place after 22 games. Gooney, as ever, shifts the conversation to something else instead of responding to the original discussion.


Wenger is very one dimensional and limited in his tactics. We overcome smaller teams because we have better players. there is a reason why we have such a poor record against good teams. When opposition has similar level of players his poor tactics becomes more evident. Like I said we have done so well combination of kind fixture list and our rivals being unstable early in the season. Now they have settled we will fall behind. why do you think every pundit says he dont see champions in this arsenal team? You think they all hate us?


didn't we have a considerably good record against these big teams last season? we even beat Bayern, the eventual cl champions on their own ground, so it isn't quite true that we consistently have a bad run against the big teams ..
panickygooner
Liam Brady
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:29 am

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 13/14

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest