Southampton 2-2 Arsenal | Premier League 28/01/14

Re: Southampton 2-2 Arsenal | Premier League 28/01/14

Postby Popey » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:49 am

elkanofan wrote:
Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:
elkanofan wrote:Luke Shaw is good, people are overhyping him to the max i say.

There is bound to be some over-hyping but he has been consistently good mate. He can defend, has blistering pace and has very good delivery/decision making in the final third.

Southampton do produce good players though!

and he's still very young

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby gooney » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:49 am

Omphi93 wrote:Whats slightly annoying is the way in which we deal with defeats or setbacks of any kind.

I believe throughout the entire season we have spent three whole gameweeks not on top of the league, and in every one of those weeks it was season defining, season ending and the general board went into a mini crisis, completely ignoring the 20 other weeks we had been top.

Not only are people frustrated with the actual game played(which is understandable as we all are), we have this tendency on projecting a a single loss or draw on the entire establishment, suddenly a bunch of players aren't good enough, suddenly the tactics that have kept up top aren't good enough or Arsene Wenger doesn't have any at all, suddenly the set up have lucked their way to the top of the league, suddenly the greatest record over the past 14 months has been an aberration, and this all happens after one isolated negative fixture without fail.

Started out the season hearing how we couldn't finish in the top four from fans and pundits alike, when we win a bulk of fixtures chirps are largely silenced when we fail to win one it threatens to derail everything we have been building with murmurings of "see i told you they couldnt do it", "Obviously not good enough", "well what do you expect". With none of these applying for any other club in the Premier league when the drop points or fail to put on a positive display

We drew against Southampton yes im dissappointed, lets pack it up, I guess ill see you all in Europa.

When you have not won anything for 8 years and consistently fell short during that time, you will not get benefit of doubt. When you are winning trophies people will give you benefit of doubt. It seems our fans want to change the perception of falling short without actually winning anything. It will never happen no matter how much people argue. Having said that we we are 5/1 to win the league depite being 2 points top. I would suggest the people who believe in this team to earn some easy money here.

I dont believe we will win the league, in fact all season i have been keeping an eye on the liverpools, spurs and man u for top 4. Even now I pay more attention to man u than chelsea or city as we will be far closer to them than the others. thats just me and I hope Im wrong
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Schlandi » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:24 am

Zedie wrote:Quite a few people including Gooney have been going on about how shite AWs tactics are after 1 very poor game. I asked a simple question, ie do they think its been pure luck that AW has steered AFC to 1st place after 22 games.

It was not just one poor game this season and if you look unbiased back we were really lucky in a lot of the matches to win three points and played piss poor a lot of times. There is a really straight forward sentence you often read in german commentary sections about this Arsenal season on several football websites.

Let me try to translate it:
"If Arsenal win the title it's not cause of Wenger it's despite Wenger."

#GoonersWorldExcuses
- Their goalkeerper had the game of his life
- We should have had 10+ penalties .. shit ref
- If long term injured player xyz would have been available we would have won easily
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Savas2001 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:48 am

Never wanted Monreal or Arteta to play and they were the worst. Monreal first goal.. Arteta sleeping on the second goal, just basically running slowly behind, and not covering his man properly - did this pretty much entire game.

Pod should have started instead of Arteta, this was the big game breaker in my opinion... Having Podolski/Giroud/Cazorla all on the pitch they can't keep that defence solid without pulling back and it would not have affected our defence ONE BIT.

Last time we played them

10 Wilshere
16 Ramsey
12 Giroud
11 Özil (Monreal - 81' )
19 Cazorla (Walcott - 70' )

Vs.

Yesterday

44 Gnabry (Oxlade-Chamberlain - 70' )
20 Flamini
12 Giroud (Podolski - 90' )
11 Özil
19 Cazorla (Gibbs - 86' )

A clear lack of offence and it's not Flamini that is the issue. Why did Arteta even start?? Crystal Palace would have been the perfect start for him, if at best.. Look at the player choices, Wenger was too focused on taking back possession, rather then actually keeping possession and getting the offence to pull them back.. Swapping Cazorla for Gibbs? He's scoring our goals.. We should be winning these games... Ox should have started and swapped with Gnabry at least, but he did it the other way around..

I am putting blame on Wenger on this and before some idiot calls for his head or another idiot says blaming Wenger only when we lose, this has nothing to do with that crap. Fair enough the team can perform badly on the pitch, nothing Wenger can do, but the difference in our last game against Southampton and this game now.. huge difference! And nobody can say Southampton actually are better off than previously.

Monreal just doesn't cut it for me, why on earth did he not use Gibbs to begin with... Monreal shows his weaknesses against easy teams, but we can get away with him playing the previous games, but when it comes to decent teams, he gets slaughtered..

If we lose to city/chelsea it's all over as it's all just about hoping they lose points from there on.. should we be relying on someone else losing to win titles?
Last edited by Savas2001 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Savas2001
Patrick Vieira

Postby gooney » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:54 am

SchlandGooner wrote:
Zedie wrote:Quite a few people including Gooney have been going on about how shite AWs tactics are after 1 very poor game. I asked a simple question, ie do they think its been pure luck that AW has steered AFC to 1st place after 22 games.

It was not just one poor game this season and if you look unbiased back we were really lucky in a lot of the matches to win three points and played piss poor a lot of times. There is a really straight forward sentence you often read in german commentary sections about this Arsenal season on several football websites.

Exactly. but in this forum if you say anything negative when we win you get attacked and is told we won....get on with it. But when those same weakness cost us a game they say its just one game. These people refuse to look deeper than the result
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:05 am

I have only seen brief highlights of the game yet. Yes we have dropped points but be positive. We are still well in the hunt. Point towards the title. We cannot afford to drop points at the weekend though.
I want Carl Jenkinson back in a Arsenal shirt next season.
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby gooney » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:10 am

EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC wrote:I have only seen brief highlights of the game yet. Yes we have dropped points but be positive. We are still well in the hunt. Point towards the title. We cannot afford to drop points at the weekend though.

We are absolutely in the title race so far. But coming 2 games we will be very busy and with ramsey out for a while, flamini suspended for 4 games and wilshere having a small injury and injury prone added with giroud being the only real striker. We need to add. I believe we will have very good season if we dont pick another injury or suspension now to the end of the season. Sadly we all know thats not possible.

The fans and pundits who say arsenal will fall short are basing it all on lack of depth in the squad compared to the other 2 and no one can disagree. The question is do we have the money to strengthen the squad this window? Since we do but choose not to, then we deserve what we get
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Savas2001 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:11 am

gooney wrote:
SchlandGooner wrote:

Exactly. but in this forum if you say anything negative when we win you get attacked and is told we won....get on with it. But when those same weakness cost us a game they say its just one game. These people refuse to look deeper than the result

You're wrong and most importantly you're f***ing blind. Negativity and constructive criticism is not the same thing you broken clock.

Here's an example. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26778&start=45

That thread was not shot down and nobody got attacked, four pages of comments about the game that we won and it was mostly constructive analyst of the performance and in general. Everyone had their say and the next game was totally different and seemed to address some of the concerns.
Savas2001
Patrick Vieira

Re: Ynt: Southampton 2-2 Arsenal | Premier League 28/01/14

Postby Gunpowder » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:24 am

SchlandGooner wrote:

He built this squad and a lot of players from this squad are who they are because of Wenger. You can't ignore Wenger's part success and slaughter him in poor performance. It doesn't work that way.
Gunpowder
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby UFGN » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:29 am

So again, why the hell didnt Podolski play?
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby gooney » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:35 am

UFGN wrote:So again, why the hell didnt Podolski play?

because the manager doesnt rate him
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Zedie » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:46 am

SchlandGooner wrote:

Its funny.

If chelsea close out a 1-0 lead, its all resilient this, battling that.

If man u do it, its all you cant keep them down for long, hard fought win like champions

If city do it, its the stuff of champions in the making

The media dont even like to admit when lpool are out of title races before they have begun.

When arsenal win ugly or defend a lead or battle for a draw, its the beginning of the end EVERY time.

Its a sentiment that flows through a part of the fanbase and infiltrates the media, who then print what they think the masses want to hear.

Those fans pick up on it and then a label is born.

arsenal dont like it up em
Arsenal have a soft centre
Arsenal cant defend
Zonal marking

If you had never watched football but read the sports pages, we would surely be a newcastle or a lpool the way they go on.

im also pretty sure that all of the german experts tip bayern to win the BL every year without fail, although to be fair theyve only had a maximum 50% chance of getting it wrong In recent times.

Like ive said, theres only 1 or 2 pundits that arent jaded by bias and even then no one knows how things will turn out.

im sure there are whole generations of middle aged lpool fans that still cant get over how a CL dominating machine turned into a struggling relic.
Last edited by Zedie on Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby panickygooner » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:47 am

SchlandGooner wrote:

tf..despite Wenger, seriously? That is appalling, give him some credit. Only Utd and to some extent Chelsea have excelled for any sustained period of time during the pl era apart from us and we all know they have much bigger financial resources at their disposal than us..at least Arsene gives us a fighting chance at winning trophies every year, even if we haven't won anything in a long time, we've not seen the the kind of decline Liverpool had seen at a point either. The result and even more so the performance was disappointing but dismissing all Wenger's ever done for the club and retorting to such petty derision is a ridiculous over reaction to a draw against a strong mid table team away from home if ever there was one..
panickygooner
Liam Brady

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:08 am

What Wenger's done in the past is irrelevant if he isn't still doing it.
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby elkanofan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:21 am

Zedie wrote:
SchlandGooner wrote:

Its funny.

If chelsea close out a 1-0 lead, its all resilient this, battling that.

If man u do it, its all you cant keep them down for long, hard fought win like champions

If city do it, its the stuff of champions in the making

The media dont even like to admit when lpool are out of title races before they have begun.

When arsenal win ugly or defend a lead or battle for a draw, its the beginning of the end EVERY time.

Its a sentiment that flows through a part of the fanbase and infiltrates the media, who then print what they think the masses want to hear.

Those fans pick up on it and then a label is born.

arsenal dont like it up em
Arsenal have a soft centre
Arsenal cant defend
Zonal marking

If you had never watched football but read the sports pages, we would surely be a newcastle or a lpool the way they go on.

im also pretty sure that all of the german experts tip bayern to win the BL every year without fail, although to be fair theyve only had a maximum 50% chance of getting it wrong In recent times.

Like ive said, theres only 1 or 2 pundits that arent jaded by bias and even then no one knows how things will turn out.

im sure there are whole generations of middle aged lpool fans that still cant get over how a CL dominating machine turned into a struggling relic.

I agree.

The whole striker thing also is testament to this, we need a winger more than another striker, our team like Bayern is more about laying chances onto our midfielders than having a striker score all the goals. What we need is some quality pace down the left flank, a gifted left footed player mind you. The media are so good at trolling us though, we aren't in for Draxler but the media have spun so much hyperbole and lies you would think we have already signed him?

The Liverpool bias in the media is truly laughable. They are doing well this year, despite their team still being relatively average bar one world class player upfront. they win 4-0 and all of a sudden they are title contenders again Really with Their average team? They are profiting also for having no European football to distract them, which next season will affect their team.

It will be tough for them next season once Suarez leaves, regardless of if they get top 4 or not, he's off to Madrid, he's not going to wait around in hope Liverpool become a true title chasing side, he wants to play at the highest level.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2013-14