Arsenal 2-0 Tottenham | The FA Cup 04/01/14

Re: Arsenal 2-0 Tottenham | FA Cup 04/01/14

Postby Snowkarl » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
Plymöuth Gööner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:I remember a time when hardly any ST was a tall target man, now all of a sudden you have to be 6"3 + before your seen as someone decent.

When was that? Back in the 4-4-2 days there was usually a main striker with someone playing off them!

Let me see.

Dwight Yorke / Cole - RVP / Rooney

Negredo / Aguero

Suarez / Sturridge

Henry / Bergkamp / Reyes / RVP

Ronaldo / Raul

Inzaghi / Pato

Messi / Villa / Neymar

............ nope, no lamp post combo's there, past and present.

What were you thinking exactly?

No1Fan wrote:neither ibra or drogba are target men

Drogba is the definition of a target man.

Lone striker up front who chests down balls or headers them on and holds up play.

That's not back in the day, that's like 2 years ago. I think he was referring to pre-premier league at least.
Snowkarl
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Angelito » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:14 am

LOL @ the amount of shit Podolski gets here. How many games has he played this season? 1 start, 2 from the bench--has scored 3 goals and has an assist. Yeah? And to think he's just returned from a 4 month layoff and isn't even a 100%... Yes!

And Walcott's movement was impressive yesterday but considering how open the game was and Spurs' willing to attack, it made it easier for Walcott. Walcott's best position is the RW position, where he has been consistently raking up goals and assists. We are in a clear need of a striker. In the League and against teams that park the bus against us (most teams, anyway), Walcott would be completely isolated.

Bendtner and Giroud are our clear cuts strikers. Podolski can play there and will score, but he's more of a threat playing a free role on the left or behind the striker. Walcott is the King of the right, so no point tampering that. I'd try Cazorla up top honestly (if down to the wire). His finishing is better than Giroud and for Wenger, Cazorla is the 4th choice CAM after Ozil, Rosicky, and Wilshere (most of the times). From the left, Cazorla doesn't look as lethal as he does when playing centrally but Wenger isn't keen on that... And please don't bring Malaga up!
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Snowkarl » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:59 am

Angelito wrote:LOL @ the amount of shit Podolski gets here. How many games has he played this season? 1 start, 2 from the bench--has scored 3 goals and has an assist. Yeah? And to think he's just returned from a 4 month layoff and isn't even a 100%... Yes!

And Walcott's movement was impressive yesterday but considering how open the game was and Spurs' willing to attack, it made it easier for Walcott. Walcott's best position is the RW position, where he has been consistently raking up goals and assists. We are in a clear need of a striker. In the League and against teams that park the bus against us (most teams, anyway), Walcott would be completely isolated.

Bendtner and Giroud are our clear cuts strikers. Podolski can play there and will score, but he's more of a threat playing a free role on the left or behind the striker. Walcott is the King of the right, so no point tampering that. I'd try Cazorla up top honestly (if down to the wire). His finishing is better than Giroud and for Wenger, Cazorla is the 4th choice CAM after Ozil, Rosicky, and Wilshere (most of the times). From the left, Cazorla doesn't look as lethal as he does when playing centrally but Wenger isn't keen on that... And please don't bring Malaga up!

I rate Podolski and I've never criticized him on this forum, but he's never performed for us as a sole striker. Every time he's played up front he's had poor movement, work rate and his link up play has been non existent. I just don't think he's suited to it. He's generally switched off at times on the left as well, but generally he performs well.
Podolski has in his career played pretty poorly as a solo striker, an overwhelming majority of his goals have come as a forward on the left/left winger or as a poacher playing off the target man in a 4-4-2.
Snowkarl
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Angelito » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:29 pm

Snowkarl wrote:
Angelito wrote:LOL @ the amount of shit Podolski gets here. How many games has he played this season? 1 start, 2 from the bench--has scored 3 goals and has an assist. Yeah? And to think he's just returned from a 4 month layoff and isn't even a 100%... Yes!

I rate Podolski and I've never criticized him on this forum, but he's never performed for us as a sole striker. Every time he's played up front he's had poor movement, work rate and his link up play has been non existent. I just don't think he's suited to it. He's generally switched off at times on the left as well, but generally he performs well.
Podolski has in his career played pretty poorly as a solo striker, an overwhelming majority of his goals have come as a forward on the left/left winger or as a poacher playing off the target man in a 4-4-2.

Did you read what I posted? Podolski isn't an out and out striker. He's much better playing off the striker. That's why, we only have two clear cut strikers. I'd hope Podolski will do, at worst, as much as Giroud does--not because Podolski is a natural striker but for the reason that Giroud isn't the striker we should aspire to have.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Snowkarl » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:37 pm

Sorry I was kind of replying to the general arguments I hear. Probably shouldn't have quoted.
Snowkarl
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Santi » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:57 pm

Angelito wrote:And Walcott's movement was impressive yesterday but considering how open the game was and Spurs' willing to attack, it made it easier for Walcott. Walcott's best position is the RW position, where he has been consistently raking up goals and assists. We are in a clear need of a striker. In the League and against teams that park the bus against us (most teams, anyway), Walcott would be completely isolated.

This but apparently that means you must want a 6ft3 target man to play hoof ball to.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Schlandi » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:21 pm

This thread :hiding:

#GoonersWorldExcuses
- Their goalkeerper had the game of his life
- We should have had 10+ penalties .. shit ref
- If long term injured player xyz would have been available we would have won easily
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Arsenal 2-0 Tottenham | FA Cup 04/01/14

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:24 pm

Snowkarl wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Plymöuth Gööner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:I remember a time when hardly any ST was a tall target man, now all of a sudden you have to be 6"3 + before your seen as someone decent.

When was that? Back in the 4-4-2 days there was usually a main striker with someone playing off them!

Let me see.

Negredo / Aguero

Suarez / Sturridge

Ronaldo / Raul

Inzaghi / Pato

Messi / Villa / Neymar

Lone striker up front who chests down balls or headers them on and holds up play.

That's not back in the day, that's like 2 years ago. I think he was referring to pre-premier league at least.

I was thinking Quinn/Smith :hiding:

Henry, RVP were both 6'3+

:dontknow:
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:28 pm

Plymöuth Gööner wrote:
Snowkarl wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Plymöuth Gööner wrote:

Let me see.

Negredo / Aguero

Suarez / Sturridge

Ronaldo / Raul

Inzaghi / Pato

Messi / Villa / Neymar

Both of them would prefer service to anywhere but their heads though!
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:37 pm

Zëdië wrote:
Plymöuth Gööner wrote:
Snowkarl wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Plymöuth Gööner wrote:

Let me see.

Negredo / Aguero

Suarez / Sturridge

Ronaldo / Raul

Inzaghi / Pato

Messi / Villa / Neymar

Both of them would prefer service to anywhere but their heads though!

Actually PG their both listed as 6"2 and as Zedie pointed out, neither were target men type strikers.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:43 pm

SchlandGooner wrote:This thread :hiding:

This.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:43 pm

Snowkarl wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Plymöuth Gööner wrote:

Let me see.

Dwight Yorke / Cole

Ronaldo / Raul

Inzaghi /

These were 2 years ago?? its 2014 buddy better check your calendar, I said past and present I didn't specify a time and some of these partnerships are over a decade old.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby gooney » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:57 pm

FA cup draw. please no PL team team. Im fed up with hard draws. Knowing our luck we will get chelsea away after they beat Derby. I want Rochdale
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Callum » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:59 pm

gooney wrote:FA cup draw. please no PL team team. Im fed up with hard draws. Knowing our luck we will get chelsea away after they beat Derby. I want Rochdale

Yeah, now we've beaten the Spuds it'd be nice to have a nice easy tie to have in the next round.

Will probably be City away.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:01 pm

Callum wrote:
gooney wrote:FA cup draw. please no PL team team. Im fed up with hard draws. Knowing our luck we will get chelsea away after they beat Derby. I want Rochdale

Yeah, now we've beaten the Spuds it'd be nice to have a nice easy tie to have in the next round.

Will probably be City away.

City'll have to beat Blackburn before that can happen.
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2013-14