Arsenal 2-0 Cardiff | Premier League 01/01/14

Re: Arsenal vs Cardiff | Premier League 01/01/13

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:47 pm

mel4 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:Biggest joke of a post I've seen today, I would put in bold the worst bits but you've already oversized the writing.

Fitting though because the whole lot is bollocks apart from the suggestion to play Bendtner as striker, Podolski is better off on the wing, however that does not mean he's useless or just a team mascot especially after practically winning us the West Ham game.

Ridiculous, too much coolade on New Years for you I think?

Lol, winning us West ham game? Lol. From a hold up play from Giroud your worst player I assume.

Some of us have always said that Poldolski will never be a lone CF, but you always prefer him over Giroud. I will prefer a broken legged Giroud as lone striker over Podolski as a lone CF. Today, Podolski was not in the game. I will like to see the stat on how many times, he touched the ball. I am not talking about how many times he did something useful with the ball.

Dude if your going to act like a thick tw*t, unfortunately my sorry New years day state won't allow me to converse with you lol.

When have I ever, in your life said that I prefer Podolski over Giroud "as a striker"?? player yes all day but I've not said as striker.

I said I'd like to see Podolski have a game up front to check him out but I've said that about Walcott, no biggie.

I could go back and quote myself saying numerous times before this game, quite a lot recently in fact saying Podolski may not be able to make the transition to striker and that it's a gamble.

Sorry for the name calling but I'm like a bear with a sore head today. ;)
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Fran Solo » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:48 pm

Great win. Can't really complain about Wenger's starter (and subs) because I think he only considered the fitness level and not the ability.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:49 pm

GSK_AFC wrote:Wenger said Bendtner is defo out for Saturday. Ankle sprain.

Oh great so we have no strikers available, brilliant.

May have to give Theo a run out up front?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Royal Gooner » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:50 pm

Zëdië wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Zëdië wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:The Saint has martyred himself for the cause.

:lol:

:sneaky2:

Eh?

At the original post!

But it's true. St. Nicklas of Bendtner sacrificed himself to save our position at the top of the league.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby gooney » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:53 pm

Gunflash wrote:Happy New Year, eh? :biggrin:

That was too damn close though but I suppose late wins are the "sign of champions" (or is that only when Man Utd do it?). The first half was really sloppy. The players had probably been out all night. Podolski through the centre wasn't working and I don't think there was a need to play Arteta and Flamini together, at home against a team we were going to be dominant against. Giroud has looked tired recently but he's still so important to the team because of his aerial threat and his hold-up play. You could see Wilshere was reluctant to hit high balls because Ollie wasn't there.

I thought it was heading for a 0-0 but fair dues to Bendtner getting in there. He's scored a few important late goals (against Spuds in 07 and against Hull and Wolves in 2010) so well done for him getting that one. Wilshere's ball for Walcott was magnficent. I think we need a bit more bite going forward, especially with Man City's superior goal difference. But three points is three points and we really needed it because a draw would have put us down to third and put more pressure on us because the Villa game isn't until Monday week, so the other teams would have had the chance to put a bit of a gap back to us.

sign of champion when you win, sign of not good enough when you dont. the margins are so small that a post in vs post out can decide between these two extremes. the truth is somewhere in the middle. we are a very good team with an obvious flaw. That flaw is reliable goal scorer. Its also very strange the way wenger refuse to see this and strengthen his team while its not too late. We sign a top class striker and we have a chance to win the league. I honestly think this season is our best chance in many years with City, Chelsea and United all going to spend big in the summer
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Schlandi » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:53 pm

mel4 wrote:Today, Podolski was not in the game.

Barely surprising he played 25min in more than 4months before the match. And I did see Bendtner playing quiet similar to Podolski ("backward passes") cause our midfield was pretty poor. Bendtner did go out wide left and dropped deep like him.

mel4 wrote:I will like to see the stat on how many times, he touched the ball. I am not talking about how many times he did something useful with the ball.

79% pass accuracy (10/28 backward passes) today.
35 touches in 63min play time today.

Giroud:
67% average pass accuracy
51 touches in 86min against Newcastle.
49 in 85min against West Ham.

Bendtner:
90% pass accuracy (9/10 backward passes) today.
15 touches in 25min play time today.

#GoonersWorldExcuses
- Their goalkeerper had the game of his life
- We should have had 10+ penalties .. shit ref
- If long term injured player xyz would have been available we would have won easily
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:53 pm

Callum wrote:Podolski is wasted with his back to goal. He is the best finisher in the squad and we want him playing off the front man to score like he did against West Ham.

Agreed.

I've seen Podolski up front enough now over the last two seasons to see that he play's better as a LWF where he can slip into his favoured CF position behind the striker and take his shots.

We 100% need to sign a striker now, that confirmation was Wenger's last hold out card and its now been played.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby gooney » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:55 pm

SchlandGooner wrote:
mel4 wrote:Today, Podolski was not in the game.

Barely surprising he played 25min in more than 4months before the match. And I did see Bendtner playing quiet similar to Podolski ("backward passes") cause our midfield was pretty poor. Bendtner did go out wide left and dropped deep like him.

mel4 wrote:I will like to see the stat on how many times, he touched the ball. I am not talking about how many times he did something useful with the ball.

79% pass accuracy (10/28 backward passes) today.
35 touches in 63min play time today.

Giroud:
67% average pass accuracy
51 touches in 86min against Newcastle.
49 in 85min against West Ham.

Bendtner:
90% pass accuracy (9/10 backward passes) today.
15 touches in 25min play time today.

Podolski has played exactly like he played last season when he got chance to play upfront. Being out for 4 months doesnt mean you cant move. It wasnt sharpness that was his problem, its his inability to play the striker position. Look at Giroud and how he moves and his understanding of where to move. giroud is not a good finisher, but he is a natural striker.....Podolski dont know how a striker moves and in 2 months time this will not change
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:08 pm

Olympiakos1 wrote:
RowdyRoddyPoppins wrote:make no mistake this will be a CATASTROPHIC result!!

How's that going for ya?

Way to stick by the team.

I fail to see how pointing out a 0 - 0 home result against Cardiff being catastrophic means im not supporting the team!

GTFO TROLL!
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:27 pm

Wenger on the win, Bendtner, Podolski

Arsène Wenger faced the media after the Cardiff City matchon New Year's Day. Here is a transcript of his press conference:

on a late victory…
We had a slow start, that can happen sometimes when you play so many games and it was important for us that they didn’t score the first goal today and to find some pace in the second half. That is what we did and it looked like in the last 25 minutes like the goal was coming but sometimes it doesn’t, and not only does it not come but you are then caught on the counter-attack. We needed resilience and intelligence not to make a mistake at the back and continue to go forward. In the end, Nicklas got us great relief.

on Bendtner…
He is a player who has gone through some difficult periods so I just want to give him great credit. I told him already today that he is back to the level I want him to be at, and if he continues to develop like that he will come back into the team. Unfortunately he got injured today and it looks like it is not a question of days, but weeks, with a sprained anke. I am very sad for us, but for him as well.

on what that does to transfer plans…
I don’t know, it doesn’t mean we go straight from Nicklas’ ankle straight to the transfer market. It means that we have Giroud and Bendtner out.

on Podolski’s performance…
he has not played for four months and he lacked a little bit the sharpness that is needed up front. He needed a game and he got it today. it was not easy for him because Cardiff were very well organised and worked hard.

on Bendtner’s bad luck in getting injured…
Usually he is not a fragile player, he was a bit unlucky. He said he landed on the foot of a cardiff player and turned his ankle.

on him turning things around…
I never gove up on people because you always have to give them credit. i know the expression of the fans is only the diagnosis of the day, the photo of the day. they are always ready to change their mind if you put the effort and the performance in.

on Bendtner being able to talk to other clubs…
It is January 1 so we cannot stop him [talking to clubs abroad] but he says he wants to stay here. If he is focused on staying with us and his job, he is a great striker.

on needing everyone to contribute...
We have a good togetherness in the side, the players come on with the right attitude and that makes the difference. You know that if you do not have that in the championship [race], then you have no chance to do it. We have that in the squad, we have to take care of that spirit and show it in every game.

on Bendtner's potential...
When you are a manager, you always feel responsible to get the maximum out of a player because you want to influence their life in a positive way. When you don't manage to do it, it is frustrating.

on the half-time team talk...
We wanted to play higher up because we gave them too much comfort in possession in the first half, we wanted to speed up our tempo. We did it quite well, but Cardiff is certainly physically the fittest team in the league.

on Solskjaer being at the game...
I have seen him before the game - and they played like they knew he was in the stand!

on Cardiff's hopes of survival...
Cardiff have the basic ingredients to survive in the Premier League. You would say if you look at their record they need to add a few more goals offensively to stay in the league. If he can find that in the final third, then they will stay in the league because they have the basic quality to do it.

on Solskjaer possibly taking over...
It is a chance. Basically what you want when you are young is a chance and after you have to make the maximum of that chance. He has already experience as a manager in Norway, so he has learned his job. He was an intelligent player, so he is an intelligent boy as well, and that will help him to be successful.

on Ozil's fitness...
He thinks Ozil could be ready for Saturday. It is no big damage, just the pain now.
I believe he will be short for Saturday and should be ready for Aston Villa.

Source: http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... r-podolski

lol @ Wenger's response regarding transfers. Personally, I think he will sign a striker, but we won't get the quality that we would like. Hopefully, I'm wrong and we get a quality striker.

Also, I believe Ozil will be fit for Saturday
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby mel4 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:36 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
mel4 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:Biggest joke of a post I've seen today, I would put in bold the worst bits but you've already oversized the writing.

Fitting though because the whole lot is bollocks apart from the suggestion to play Bendtner as striker, Podolski is better off on the wing, however that does not mean he's useless or just a team mascot especially after practically winning us the West Ham game.

Ridiculous, too much coolade on New Years for you I think?

Lol, winning us West ham game? Lol. From a hold up play from Giroud your worst player I assume.

Some of us have always said that Poldolski will never be a lone CF, but you always prefer him over Giroud. I will prefer a broken legged Giroud as lone striker over Podolski as a lone CF. Today, Podolski was not in the game. I will like to see the stat on how many times, he touched the ball. I am not talking about how many times he did something useful with the ball.

Dude if your going to act like a thick tw*t, unfortunately my sorry New years day state won't allow me to converse with you lol.

When have I ever, in your life said that I prefer Podolski over Giroud "as a striker"?? player yes all day but I've not said as striker.

I said I'd like to see Podolski have a game up front to check him out but I've said that about Walcott, no biggie.

I could go back and quote myself saying numerous times before this game, quite a lot recently in fact saying Podolski may not be able to make the transition to striker and that it's a gamble.

Sorry for the name calling but I'm like a bear with a sore head today. ;)[/quote]

Its okay to name call or whatever it is.... its a forum, all characters are welcome.

I am glad that you are clear that Podolski will never be a better striker than Giroud. You can now go ahead with the Giroud htirades plus namecalling or whatever.

Happy new year to you too

........ 1 - nil to The Arsenal
mel4
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Olympiakos1 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:41 pm

RowdyRoddyPoppins wrote:
Olympiakos1 wrote:
RowdyRoddyPoppins wrote:make no mistake this will be a CATASTROPHIC result!!

How's that going for ya?

Way to stick by the team.

I fail to see how pointing out a 0 - 0 home result against Cardiff being catastrophic means im not supporting the team!

GTFO TROLL!

Assuming the worst out of your team when the game is still playing out does though.

Stop calling me a troll because you were proven wrong.
Olympiakos1
Michael Thomas

Postby Massa » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:51 pm

Calm down. We f***ing won. Off topic posts will be deleted.
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby mg86 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:52 pm

Proud of this win. It's games like this years ago when we would have buckled and conceded. Not this squad.

Koschielny and Mertesacker are the best CB partnership in the league and are so vital to this team. Their defensive stability allows our players up front the confidence to push for similar wins to the one today.

I'm absolutely relishing Ozil feeding Podolski and Walcott on the wings. If there is one thing I will possibly admit is that we missed Giroud. I've never questioned his ability to improve those around him and felt Podolski again proved his is far more deadly on the left.
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Angelito » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:44 pm

Bendtner > Giroud. ;)

The man's been so good since the Hull game. If he can keep this up, he's one quality striker.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2013-14