Newcastle 0-1 Arsenal | Premier League 29/12/13

Re: Newcastle vs Arsenal | Premier League 29/12/13

Postby Zedie » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:35 am

AFC10 wrote:
Mesüt wrote:Can't believe how many want to start Podolski after 3/4 months out

In fairness he looked like he was never away against West ham. I don't think he can do any worse than Giroud in our last game but the guy needs a rest badly. I reckon we could have Poldi upfront for 60-70 minutes then make a change.

I'd be as cautious with him as we were with Walcott. People seem to forget how many of ours have been injured in the past just by rushing them into the mix straight after they get back into full training.

Pods performance was pure adrenaline against the Hammers, you could just see he was up for it as soon as he sprinted on. Lets not turn him into another Wilshire/RvP/Cesc etc etc, we all know how that goes.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby AFC10 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:41 am

Zëdië wrote:
AFC10 wrote:
Mesüt wrote:Can't believe how many want to start Podolski after 3/4 months out

In fairness he looked like he was never away against West ham. I don't think he can do any worse than Giroud in our last game but the guy needs a rest badly. I reckon we could have Poldi upfront for 60-70 minutes then make a change.

I'd be as cautious with him as we were with Walcott. People seem to forget how many of ours have been injured in the past just by rushing them into the mix straight after they get back into full training.

Pods performance was pure adrenaline against the Hammers, you could just see he was up for it as soon as he sprinted on. Lets not turn him into another Wilshire/RvP/Cesc etc etc, we all know how that goes.

Can't disagree with that. My only back up is that Poldi has been in training for some time now which could of made a big difference. I don't think an hour would do any harm... I hope.

I also saw a quote earlier from him saying that he's never had a muscular injury in his career before - Not sure how true that is but he obviously looks after his body very well.
AFC10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Santi » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:52 am

Tbh if he can't last an hour you would have to wonder why he's even in the squad to play but yknow, as Zedie said, we've seen it many times before with players (arguably more important than Podolski at their respective times) being rushed back out of desperation and seemingly having an endless run of injuries as a result. Wenger was smart with Walcott, I believe he will do the same with Podolski and would've probably played him less on Thursday had Ramsey not got injured.

It's annoying because i'd like him to start and rest Ozil but I think it'd be for the best to save Pod til 60 mins.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby AAIRE99 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:39 am

Zëdië wrote:
gooney wrote:
Zëdië wrote:Hasnt giroud scored more than all of chelseas strikers?

Yes in the league, not overall. And thats nothing to brag about. Mourinho said he is tired of his strikers after the last game and will buy a striker. why do we always compare our players to the worst to make them look good? He is garbage

No1fan brought up chelsea and their strikers and you seem to be agreeing? - ye its a good point so i agree

You probably hate him so much because his goals won all those matches in the first months of the season when you were busy fretting over fener, or how hard we were going to get battered by the scum or liverpool or fulham or swansea. - this is just petty and ludicrous, Ive never been jealous of any other club i can honestly say.

Giroud is in a rut atm, but you and all the other members of the mob didn’t really seem to be going off the deep end when he was banging them in./ I was up the walls with projects in work so just wasnt around.

You weren't hanging off aguero's nuts when he managed to muster 12 (?) Goals last season in the PL playing for city./Im not one to say i told you so but in the summer I was saying he and RVP are the best strikers and being ridiculed on this forum because he scored 12 goals last year lol, clearly your not up to the mark on your history either he was injured alot last season, he was a sensation in the previous season and that was his first one here, the man was a sensation in Spain forever and Real Madrid have been trying to get him for a decade. Actually been a fan for years if you must know.

No one was really talking about suarez positively in his first season when he was the woodwork king or his second season when he missed a massive chunk through supension. /I thought about this earlier, but it was fairly clear at the time to me Suarez was a world class player even though he couldnt hit a barn door Giroud doesnt have that quality. Ye he might turn it round who knows.

Giroud goes on a barren run and all of a sudden, its debatable if hes as good as chamakh? Please. /Were just saying theres not much difference between having them when your challenging.

Us and west ham are the only clubs in the league with 1 genuine striker. Bendtner has taken until now to look even half fit enough to represent.

EVERYONE knows we need a new striker but it seems that who we do have right now is being driven into the ground (mainly on here I admit) because he is carrying the load 90 minutes after 90 minutes for the whole of the first half of the season.

Its like giroud is the first striker to ever go through a goalless streak on here, its almost unimaginable that that could happen to a player in some of you lots minds. - Look through all the big games he plays he chokes on every chance he gets.

it happens to far better strikers. Its happened to strikers some people are calling out for right now.

its like you are actively choosing to forget that his match winners at the start of the season haven't contributed to us being number 1 in the country right at this moment. /No I just wasnt overly impressed with them.

hate on.

Giroud isnt good enough to create for himself he needs them on a plate and even then he misses way too many.
AAIRE99
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:07 am

Zëdië wrote:
gooney wrote:

Yes in the league, not overall. And thats nothing to brag about. Mourinho said he is tired of his strikers after the last game and will buy a striker. why do we always compare our players to the worst to make them look good? He is garbage

No1fan brought up chelsea and their strikers and you seem to be agreeing?

You probably hate him so much because his goals won all those matches in the first months of the season when you were busy fretting over fener, or how hard we were going to get battered by the scum or liverpool or fulham or swansea.

Giroud is in a rut atm, but you and all the other members of the mob didn’t really seem to be going off the deep end when he was banging them in.

You weren't hanging off aguero's nuts when he managed to muster 12 (?) Goals last season in the PL playing for city.

No one was really talking about suarez positively in his first season when he was the woodwork king or his second season when he missed a massive chunk through supension.

Giroud goes on a barren run and all of a sudden, its debatable if hes as good as chamakh? Please.

Us and west ham are the only clubs in the league with 1 genuine striker. Bendtner has taken until now to look even half fit enough to represent.

EVERYONE knows we need a new striker but it seems that who we do have right now is being driven into the ground (mainly on here I admit) because he is carrying the load 90 minutes after 90 minutes for the whole of the first half of the season.

Its like giroud is the first striker to ever go through a goalless streak on here, its almost unimaginable that that could happen to a player in some of you lots minds.

it happens to far better strikers. Its happened to strikers some people are calling out for right now.

its like you are actively choosing to forget that his match winners at the start of the season haven't contributed to us being number 1 in the country right at this moment.

hate on.

if you read what i said, i was saying chelseas strikers are also garbage but ofcourse you will find the shittest people to compare giroud to. Why not carlton cole and lambert next?

The thing with you zedie is i like you you're positive about the club like me but i dont understand how people can watch giroud play and come to the conclusion that he's good for the club.

Its pretty clear that it isnt just his goal scoring that is lacking. He's incredibly poor on the ball. He often destroys our moves by misplacing passes (66% pass success rate so 1 in 3 of his passes dont find the target and its not like he plays 40 yeard though balls most of his passes are less than 10 yards). He loses the ball (ieven ignoring his woeful passing stats) more than any one of our players yet he doesnt make forward runs, he doesnt dribble so it baffles me why he gets dispossessed so easily when he is meant to be good at holding the ball up.

The strengths he brings to this team barely help us offensively, he is only good in the air defensively but offensively he's never anywhere close to crosses and has shown any airial dominance in his goal output.

Now you're talking about a so called baron spell but i'll argue that this is just girouds general level. He got 11 league goals last season and 1 game away from the midpoint this he's on 7 so right now he's on course to acheive 14 league goals which is within that range. Bringing up suarez and aguero makes no sense. Suarez already this has scored more league goals than giroud has in his 1.5 seasons here it doesnt matter what he was like in his first season he has actually stepped up now and shown why he should have been afforded a bit of patience.

Aguero in his first season scored bucketloads, was injured alot of last (yet still scored more than giroud who was our only striker) and again is scoring bucketloads this including in big games.

The woeful excuse that he shouldnt play 90mins after 90mins is pathetic, strikers who reach 30 league goals do this, whilst we all know giroud isnt in that calibre it shouldnt be beyond him to represent the team on a gamely basis. He had a 9 day break preceding this run of fixtures yet he has looked worse than ever i'm not sure how long people can drum out that painfully inept excuse that he is tired. That is far from the case.

Ofcourse giroud isnt exactly as bad as chamakh but he is closer to chamakhs level than he is to the level of striker that we should expect at this club. I dont think he is good enough to play for us, he isnt the type of striker to come on and score if he was a sub nor is he good enough to start. We should look to buy a starter and someone who can make an impact coming off from the bench and get rid of giroud as soon as possible.
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:46 am

Zëdië wrote:
gooney wrote:

You probably hate him so much because his goals won all those matches in the first months of the season when you were busy fretting over fener, or how hard we were going to get battered by the scum or liverpool or fulham or swansea.

Giroud is in a rut atm, but you and all the other members of the mob didn’t really seem to be going off the deep end when he was banging them in.

You weren't hanging off aguero's nuts when he managed to muster 12 (?) Goals last season in the PL playing for city.

No one was really talking about suarez positively in his first season when he was the woodwork king or his second season when he missed a massive chunk through supension.

Giroud goes on a barren run and all of a sudden, its debatable if hes as good as chamakh? Please.

Its like giroud is the first striker to ever go through a goalless streak on here, its almost unimaginable that that could happen to a player in some of you lots minds.

its like you are actively choosing to forget that his match winners at the start of the season haven't contributed to us being number 1 in the country right at this moment.

hate on.

What match winners? If you take Giroud's goals out of our season, we'd be 4 points worse off. Considering that one was a penalty, which someone else would have taken anyway, you could say he's only gained us 2 points this season with his goals. Nowhere near enough for a striker.
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Zedie » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:47 am

Giroud contributing massively to where we are right now - no response

Suarez - I was saying that all the giroud haters werent shouting for us to sign him when he first got here, not whether he was better than giroud.

Aguero - I was saying you werent mentioning him much when he had his second season slump.

Yup, if you dont think that playing 90 minutes constantly wont have an affect on a players performance, then ok, in your make believe world where fatigue is non existent, fitness cannot factor. Only this is the real world and it does.

you still havent addressed what effect him being in a completely different he situation he is in personnel wise, but then using your logic, rotation is nonsense and shouldnt exist because there is no need because fatigue doesnt exist.

Only going into the season with giroud was a huge gamble, one taken for noble reasons, but realistically incorrect. Trusting mourinho to not pull the plug on ba was also dumb but you break bread with snakes, you get bitten.

Theres no way we wont strengthen the position, AW doesnt want bendtner here, he doesnt want to be here, its a no brainer.

Its up to you if you want to be down in the dumps about a transfer window that hasnt opened yet, but I for one cant wait.

Choose to forget that we smashed our transfer record, choose to dwell in the past regarding our chances, but the same way dynasties fall, new ones rise again and our future is looking better than any time in the last 8 years.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:57 am

Who are you replying to? :dontknow:
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Zedie » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:15 am

ThereIsBearCüm wrote:Who are you replying to? :dontknow:

That last one was for gooney.

You, im coming back for in the morning!
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:18 am

Zëdië wrote:
ThereIsBearCüm wrote:Who are you replying to? :dontknow:

That last one was for gooney.

You, im coming back for in the morning!

Shots fired!
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Pudpop » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:01 am

ThereIsBearCüm wrote:
Zëdië wrote:
gooney wrote:

hate on.

What match winners? If you take Giroud's goals out of our season, we'd be 4 points worse off. Considering that one was a penalty, which someone else would have taken anyway, you could say he's only gained us 2 points this season with his goals. Nowhere near enough for a striker.

I hate this argument. It only serves to flatter one man teams and completely ignores link up play for other players' goals.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:09 am

I'm not making that argument, I'm simply pointing out that he hasn't really scored many match winning goals for us this season like Zedie said he did.
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby ivan itchybum » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:46 am

So ramsey's out till the end of January. Will give Wislhere room to press on at least. I expect a good month from him.
gooney wrote: I will have a bet with anyone who is willing to take Newcastle will finish ahead of us...how about loser leaves the forum?

13th of May 2012 Arsenal beat West Brom 3-2 to finish 3rd ahead of Newcastle. Gooney is still yet to leave the forum...

"Have faith in Ramsey, he'll come good"
ivan itchybum
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby FrustratedGooner » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:18 am

AFC10 wrote:
I also saw a quote earlier from him saying that he's never had a muscular injury in his career before - Not sure how true that is but he obviously looks after his body very well.

“I have never had a muscle injury before, so it was a new experience and not easy. It was a hamstring injury, my left one. They take a long time, it is nearly four months. Every morning you come in, you have treatment, you work to get fit while the others are working outside. It is not easy for the head. But this is the way and I am young enough to play a lot of matches.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... njury.html

I wish Podolski was back a month ago so we could have had time to see if he can actually play as Striker and do well and if he never could have bought a striker in January but I dont see him spending anything on anyone unless ST Nick goes and we replace him with a 3rd choice striker.
FrustratedGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby ivan itchybum » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:02 pm

ThereIsBearCüm wrote:I'm not making that argument, I'm simply pointing out that he hasn't really scored many match winning goals for us this season like Zedie said he did.

A "match winning goal! means f**k all... If we win a game 2-1 the first goal we scored is just as valuable as the second. It's a stupid argument, anyone can pop up whether it's the striker or the defender.

Besides he'e constantly involved in our play, he's going through a rough patch atm, he'll get through it and be back to his best..

Cool beans.
gooney wrote: I will have a bet with anyone who is willing to take Newcastle will finish ahead of us...how about loser leaves the forum?

13th of May 2012 Arsenal beat West Brom 3-2 to finish 3rd ahead of Newcastle. Gooney is still yet to leave the forum...

"Have faith in Ramsey, he'll come good"
ivan itchybum
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2013-14