Cardiff 0-3 Arsenal | Premier League 30/11/13

Re: Cardiff 0-3 Arsenal | Premier League 30/11/13

Postby Schlandi » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:51 pm

GSK_AFC wrote:
Angelito wrote:
GSK_AFC wrote:
Angelito wrote:
GSK_AFC wrote:Podolski was worse than Theo upfront last season. He looked lost.

SchlandGooner or Starman can bring the stats because I'm not interested right now, but he played 4-5 games as a striker last season. The first was his very first Arsenal game and the remaining when Giroud was suspended. I remember he scored 2 or 3 goals. That's not "lost" really. Giroud played 30/31 games as a striker last season and scored the same amount of goals as Podolski did (both scored 11 in the Prem and Poldi played nearly half the time Giroud did).

In the CL, Podolski scored 4, while Giroud scored 2. In fact, Podolski scored more goals than van Persie in the CL. Podolski is fine as a striker. Walcott is better as a winger.

He's a goalscorer sure but if you think goals equate to being a good striker, Theo scored more.
It may have been 4/5 games but he really did look lost, he didn't make any great movement and isolated himself. I'm sure he scored half his goals when playing upfront through setpieces too.
They're both best out wide but I don't think Poldi could do a good job upfront as you think.

Giroud looks lost half the time he plays as a striker. Just because he jumps a lot really doesn't suggest otherwise. Sometimes he can't even shoot properly. But these things happen. My point isn't that Podolski is a striker at the level of Suarez/Aguero, but that he would be equally as beneficial as Giroud, if not more. If we had Lewan, yes, there would be no case--but it's unfair to say that Podolski looked lost when Giroud does the same many times, but since he plays so many games--people just tend to forget that. And, if a striker scores goals, it really doesn't matter if he's invisible. Watched van Persie against us? He was tepid and scored a goal...

On Theo, I didn't say he cannot play ST at all. He's a better winger than a striker and I can't understand where this Walcott vs. Podolski debate comes from. Walcott has never played as a ST in his life in top flight football, if we ignore his stint last season. Podolski has played as a striker for Germany and Koln. Last season, he scored goals too despite not getting many games/playing time as a striker.

It's too early to give a verdict. With Ozil, Rosicky, Cazorla, Ramsey, Walcott, and Wilshere supporting Podolski, I doubt he'd have trouble scoring goals, or creating trouble for the opposition. His finishing is as good as van Persie and he drops deep many times. The whole concept about Podolski not playing with his back to the goal is half-baked. He's not a striker like Ibra or Falcao. He's more in the mold of van Persie, Tevez, Aguero, etc. Not at their level but Podolski at his best is as good a forward as you'd find.

I think Poldi would be a poacher if we were to play him upfront, he doesn't really excel at interplay and he wouldn't be able to hold it up like Giroud. He never dropped deep at all when upfront last season. His first touch will kill many of our attacks aswell.I'd only have him upfront as a last resort, I'd rather buy a backup to Giroud like a Pato for example.

I've never seen Poldi play upfront before he came here so I can't judge him on anything but arsenal games which he looked very uncomfortable upfront. No way is his finishing on par with RVP either, he mainly smashes the ball and can only use his left, RVP has perfect technique and can finish with both feet.

It might be too early to give a verdict but based on what I've seen so far I'd be hesitant to give him more games upfront.

Never drop deep

Yeah the Wigan heatmap I posted earlier really showed that..also in this two he almost idled infront of the goal..
Image Image

His first touch will kill many of our attacks aswell ?
He mainly smashes the ball and can only use his left ?

Seriously ? :rofl:
0:18 aweful first touch and that right foot really sucked, 2:15 another awful first touch

1:04 bad first touch at least he smashed the ball with his left, 1:32 no technique

Awful !

Lucker !

No way is his finishing on par with RVP either.

In 2012/2013
Shot Accuracy RVP 59%, Podolski 61%
Pass Accuracy RVP 80%, Podolski 84%
Conversion Rate RVP 18,44%, Podolski 20,37%
RVP made 88,46% from inside the area
Podolski 63,63%
Yeah, RVP is cleary the better finisher

GSK_AFC wrote:The only time I can think of good interplay is from Liverpool (A) last year.
I rate Podolski but only as an outlet on the left not upfront.

So what of the team joker Lukas Podolski who now freely admits to playing through pain the majority of last season? A player who many forget was playing up and down the left flank and combining superbly with Cazaorla tight up until the New Year. The player who single handedly destroyed West Ham with one of the finest individual displays by any Gunner last season.

From http://1nildown2oneup.net

Massa wrote:Agree with GSK. Poldi also started vs Newcastle upfront. Barely did anything before getting subbed off

Besides the assists to the 0:1 winning goal and making at least one run where he could have scored unguarded if Walcott would have passed to him instead of making a field goal attempt plus at least once dropping deep and starting and attack which Cazorla wasted and some other stuff he barely did nothing..

#GoonersWorldExcuses
- Their goalkeerper had the game of his life
- We should have had 10+ penalties .. shit ref
- If long term injured player xyz would have been available we would have won easily
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby GSK_AFC » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:10 pm

None of those vids are from his time here.

RVPs finishing > Poldis. RVP has probably made double/triple the amount of shots so the stats will favour Poldi. Those stats don't tell you RVP can finish every way possible, whereas Poldi only has a left foot.

His attributes are fine for a LW/Second outlet where I rate him, he's the closest thing we've got to a winger. That extract gives examples of him playing on the left.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:47 pm

GSK_AFC wrote:None of those vids are from his time here.

Well here's 16 of em.

He's actually a natural CF which is why as in the video's all his goals are from that area practically, the only reason it works him out left is because in the more common modern 4-3-3 he's been shunted there from CF at AFC and Germany.

Basically he drifts in to CF from LW and does damage, similar to Wilshere.

Anyway here's his 16 goals for AFC ....... yeah this man can't play striker in the box at all can he? :rolleyes:

2:04 and 3:27 hmmmm

Look how expertly he takes his finishes, Giroud can't finish anything like that with such accuracy and calmness.

People forget just because he's not had a stint in the team for yonks, best left foot finish outside of RVP!
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Massa » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:51 pm

Finishing doesn't make you a good striker
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Dejan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:53 pm

Podolski imo reminds me of Van Persie.
Van Persie is just alot better
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:59 pm

If we played our game to suit the same way we were force fked to change our entire game to suit Giroud I think Podolski would be great, he's a natural finisher and goal hunter.

Yes he prefers slightly deep because he likes to be involved in the build up so may play as a false no9, but when he hits the D its lights out.

I'm not saying like RVP he'd definitely make the conversion but I think he's worth a try as he has the ingredients, if not then he can just go back to LW.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Massa » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:09 pm

van Persie has probably the best movement in football
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby GSK_AFC » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:01 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
GSK_AFC wrote:None of those vids are from his time here.

Well here's 16 of em.

He's actually a natural CF which is why as in the video's all his goals are from that area practically, the only reason it works him out left is because in the more common modern 4-3-3 he's been shunted there from CF at AFC and Germany.

Basically he drifts in to CF from LW and does damage, similar to Wilshere.

Anyway here's his 16 goals for AFC ....... yeah this man can't play striker in the box at all can he? :rolleyes:

2:04 and 3:27 hmmmm

Look how expertly he takes his finishes, Giroud can't finish anything like that with such accuracy and calmness.

People forget just because he's not had a stint in the team for yonks, best left foot finish outside of RVP!

A 4-3-3 would mean we play with 3 forwards but we don't, we play with 2. He's best position is the same as Walcotts, as a second attacking outlet out wide, Poldi more so than Walcott because he has other desirable traits you'd have in a wide man, he gives us more width than Walcott when playing as a second outlet, tracks back and is a better crosser.
:doh: I didn't say he can't play a striker in the box, that's all he'd be useful for if he played upfront. He'd be silent all game and then take the 1 or 2 chances that come his way, like Soldado but better finishing.
In terms of traits for a striker, his finishing is better than Girouds and that's about it. I never discredited his finishing either but no way is it better than RVPs.
I haven't forgotten anything, I've always said he should be Theo's backup as our second outlet.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:35 am

Youtube highlights aren't really a good way to judge a player. Skill and technique are about consistency... I've had some wonderful first touches and pulled out amazing finishes before, that doesn't mean I'm a skillful player.
Having said that, I do think Podolski has the skill set to do well up front if given a decent run of games.
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Pudpop » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:25 am

Well if we don't sign a striker in January, then we'll find out.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Schlandi » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:58 am

GSK_AFC wrote:RVP has probably made double/triple the amount of shots so the stats will favour Poldi. Those stats don't tell you RVP can finish every way possible, whereas Poldi only has a left foot.

That's doesn't make any sense.
If van Persie had played 30games and Podolski 1game and end up like at the moment with a 100% Conversion rate I would agree but both played more than 20games so van Persie decisions are worse than the one from Podolski or his scoring abilities are simply not as good as the one from Podolski.

Massa wrote:Finishing doesn't make you a good striker

If you can't finish as a striker you are useless and you should not be a striker, like Piszeck maybe you are a much better defender. On the other hand if they don't score regulary they are donkey like you call Giroud always :rolleyes:

Massa wrote:van Persie has probably the best movement in football

Maybe it's just me but regulary the guys who doesn't play for Arsenal are the best players for you, right ?
There are several games in my mind where van Persie was "donkey" for Arsenal if our current players have 2-3 games like that they are shit and we need to buy a replacement..did you say the same as van Persie was a Gunner or Henry ?

Pudpop wrote:Well if we don't sign a striker in January, then we'll find out.

Indeed :sneaky2:

#GoonersWorldExcuses
- If long term injured player xyz would have been available we would have won easily
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby GSK_AFC » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:05 pm

SchlandGooner wrote:
GSK_AFC wrote:RVP has probably made double/triple the amount of shots so the stats will favour Poldi. Those stats don't tell you RVP can finish every way possible, whereas Poldi only has a left foot.

That's doesn't make any sense.
If van Persie had played 30games and Podolski 1game and end up like at the moment with a 100% Conversion rate I would agree but both played more than 20games so van Persie decisions are worse than the one from Podolski or his scoring abilities are simply not as good as the one from Podolski.

I meant upfront where Poldi has only played 6 games for us.
Poldi will probably get a few games upfront this season if we don't land a striker in Jan so we'll see.
Also, do you honestly think Poldi is a better striker than RVP?
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Schlandi » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:28 pm

Depends on the style of play from the teams.
In a counter attacking team Podolski is one of the best attacking players in the world he proved that for Germany and Köln.
In a 4-4-2 alongside another striker who can handle the ball like Klose or Novakovic he was also great for Germany and Köln.

As a single striker he doesn't play really often (quiet some times for Köln and if I remember correctly for Bayern in the CL and UEFA-Cup) in the past but if you give him some time to adapt (like van Persie had here, RVP wasn't that good from start there) I guess he could reach him. Don't see any abilities were RVP is way superior to him. RVP has maybe the better right foot but Podolski also scored with it but he prefers his left cause it is more accurate. They both have scored nearly the same amount of headers and they both scored the most times after the 75min mark sadly Podolski is mostly subbed at Arsenal at this stage of the game.

If you check out the overall stats RVP isn't much better but played most of the time for a much better team it's of course easier to score 18goals for a top team like Arsenal compared to a club like Köln in the league also I guess Podolski made more games as a winger today.

#GoonersWorldExcuses
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Yago » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:52 pm

the c***'s way better off the ball. Podolski's movement isn't good.
Yago
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:10 pm

Yago wrote:the ****'s way better off the ball. Podolski's movement isn't good.

Nobody is saying Pod's movement is as good as RVP's, don't even know why that was mentioned tbh.

Saying if Podolski could make the conversion to ST from CF like RVP is not saying I expect him even if he does successfully convert that he will reach the levels of one of the best ST in the world.

However IF he can make the transition he'd be one hell of a striker.

He's already a top notch shooter of the ball coming in from LWF/CF and shooting at the D.

2:04 and 3:27 remind me of Gabriel Battistuta, love strikers who can shoot like that, very 90's.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2013-14