Arsenal 2-0 Southampton | Premier League 23/11/13

Re: Arsenal 2-0 Southampton | Premier League 23/11/13

Postby Callum » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:15 pm

I was annoyed that he scored the winner and England lost the game but I held no personal grudge against Mertesacker because, you know, he's German and wants to play well for Germany and score for them.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:18 pm

I lost all hope for the England national team back in 2004, with the team we had then..Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Cole all in their 20's, Scholes and Beckham still at the peak of their powers, France, Spain, Germany and Holland all in disarry and we went out on penalties (again) to Portugal who only had Deco!

As an international team we are a lost cause. I enjoy watching us play and look forward to cheering us on at tournaments but no need to take it seriously! The fact that some peoples opinion changed, even if very slightly and temporarily, about Merts for scoring against ING-GERR-LUND is a prime example of Ape like behaviour in a human being.

Merts Is God!!!!!!!!!
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby srd1886 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:16 pm

Was any one else confused when walcott came on for carzola. I would have preferred if ramsey moved into a holding position and wilshere came off. Carzola was having a great game and wilshere needs to build his fitness but make sure he doesn't get injured.
srd1886
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Yago » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:23 pm

Cazorla was our weakest player...
Yago
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner

Postby srd1886 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:30 pm

Really I thought he did well, better than ozil.
srd1886
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Apollo » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:55 pm

Yago wrote:Cazorla was our weakest player...

I think Arteta pushed Carzola close.

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Sims » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:17 am

I couldn't give much of a toss about England tbh.

Until the FA realises that the way we nurture youth from grassroots level is wrong then I am not fussed at all. Shitehouses.
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Pudpop » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:28 am

Hans Gruber wrote:Best defence in the league vs Olivier Giroud.

0-0 in my book.

:grin:
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Trina » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:38 am

Royal Gooner wrote:
Hans Gruber wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
Hans Gruber wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
Callum wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:It's not that he scored for his country, its the fact it was country that he scored against that annoys me.

What a load of nonsense. How can you possibly hold that against him?

I'd understand if he'd dived or acted like a bit of a dick, but I really do not see how any logical person can be annoyed at Mertesacker for scoring against England.

Because I'm a fiercly patriotic Englishman, who despises losses.

You're a nationalistic old windbag who gives gooners a bad name.

Less of the old please Kyle.

OK, my apologies. But you make it sound like you support England more than you support Arsenal?

Surely you should be delighted for Mert, as an Arsenal player, he scored a good goal, and as an Arsenal fan, we should applaud him for doing so, regardless of opposition.

I support them both the same. But when it comes to internationals, club alligence goes out the window.

I know exactly what you mean. Its not often you see England supporters like you anymore and its a shame.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Trina » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:41 am

Arsène Wenger spoke to the media after the victory over Southampton. Here is what he had to say:

on winning with no problems…
Yeah, we can go home if you want!

on the midfield resembling one of Arsenal's great sides…
We have a long way to go to do that but we have the ambition and I think the focus, the concentration, the desire are there. We played against a good Southampton side today who tried to stop us from playing. They did it well and in the end we couldn't take our chances but we took advantage of their two mistakes. Overall you could see why they have played a draw at Man United, why they had won at Liverpool because they conceded only five goals until today. They are a team who is very well organised and our technical quality helped us to get away with a win today.

on Giroud surprising Boruc…
He maybe surprised the goalkeeper certainly or did the goalkeeper glide a little bit? I don't know. He did that very well and Olivier [Giroud] is a positive character who is always ready for a battle. He is maybe a little bit different to the rest of the team. He gives us so much with his physical presence, with his link play which he has improved tremendously. He has the mental qualities and a positive attitude.

on Giroud breaking into double figures…
Other strikers will tell you ‘I am not obsessed by scoring goals’ but if they don’t, they are sick! It is a relief on their shoulders. I believe as well that he didn’t expect himself to score so many from the start of the season, but it can only boost his confidence.

on enjoying the physical challenge…
It was a very physical game today and we had to be patient and intelligent not to make the first mistake, because it could have been a very difficult game if we had conceded the first goal. That is where maybe we have improved in our defensive stability when the game is difficult.

on Giroud relishing it…
He has a big frame and he uses his upper body well.

on penalty takers…
Giroud is designated third penalty taker, Ozil is second.

on finding strikers…
I have said many times that Europe still produces many fantastic football players, but if you look well we do not produce strikers well. vVery few, all of the big strikers come from South America. In the summer, you had Falcao going to Monaco, Cavani going to PSG in a big transfer, Suarez everybody wanted to buy him, Higuain has gone to Napoli for a lot of money, but in Europe that is an area where it is difficult to find. In Germany, I can remember in every club you had a big striker, they produced some fantastic ones, but they do not produce young strikers. Is that a consequence of the way we coach? Of modern life? I do not know.

on Giroud’s success with France…
That helps of course. If France had gone out, maybe he would not have chased the ball on the goalkeeper today, I don’t know, maybe pyshcologically it helps.

on whether he’s told Szczesny to avoid it…
Yes - I told him to kick it to me on the bench!

on keeping clean sheets…
We have improved our defensive stability. After an international break you have always two challenges, one is to get the team to focus again as a team because we have been spread all over the world, and you have very little time to get the focus point right. The second is physical, because they all come back in different levels of fatigue, some have not trained a lot. The first point we got right, the team were highly focused, we suffered a bit physically but overall the concentration was there.

on a strong response…
I am convinced that after a break like that, the character is tested. Can you win when you have to in a season like that, straightaway again after a big defeat [to Manchester United]? That was really at stake for us.

on Walcott…
He has been out for seven weeks. You could see he is still a bit short physically, but he has not played at all for seven weeks and only one day training with the group, so that will come back quickly.

on Ryo…
He has a hamstring problem. I think it will be 10 days.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... nd-walcott
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Angelito » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:09 am

Giroud and Sir Chesney were IMMENSE. Sagna was great as usual. Arteta was poor for his high standards but picked up as the game went on. Hopefully, the injury isn't a severe one.

And thank God for Rosicky. You look at the bench and you see our most consistent player of the past 2-3 seasons there. He was solid after he came on too.

Wilshere was brilliant too.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Arsenal vs Southampton 23/11/13 ratings thread

Postby AAIRE99 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:35 pm

seeen a breathtaking bit of skill in this game yesterday from ozil, he made it look so casual too.
faces his man up on the right, hes obviously left footed and being pushed down the touchline so he cant cut back in.
so he shimmys to the right with the ball and with his right foot rolls the ball back over onto his left and leaves the defender just standing there and shoots unfortunately str8 at the keeper.

world class piece of skill. does it so fast and effortlessly the defender doesnt even know what happened even though hes expecting it lol.
AAIRE99
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Callum » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:43 pm

Angelito wrote:Giroud and Sir Chesney were IMMENSE. Sagna was great as usual. Arteta was poor for his high standards but picked up as the game went on. Hopefully, the injury isn't a severe one.

And thank God for Rosicky. You look at the bench and you see our most consistent player of the past 2-3 seasons there. He was solid after he came on too.

I love Rosicky but our most consistent player of the past 2-3 seasons? Really?
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:03 pm

Callum wrote:
Angelito wrote:Giroud and Sir Chesney were IMMENSE. Sagna was great as usual. Arteta was poor for his high standards but picked up as the game went on. Hopefully, the injury isn't a severe one.

I love Rosicky but our most consistent player of the past 2-3 seasons? Really?

I'd say so. 2011/2012, his return in January really ignited us and we started firing from there on until the season end. Then he picked an injury in the Euros. He again returned in 2012/2013 and drove us forward--playing consistently well and was one of the reasons we made it in the top-4. This season, he's been consistent but we've seen the same from Giroud, Ramsey, Arteta, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Sagna, and Gibbs, so it's wide open this season.

It's arguable, yes, but I don't think anybody has performed at the level Rosicky has, with such consistency over the past 2 seasons, at least. You have Cazorla, who looks so out of it this season. There's Ozil, who started brilliantly but seems to have fizzled away lately. Ramsey started firing during the end of last season. Wilshere has been on and off. In fact, it comes down to him, Arteta, and our defenders basically.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Callum » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:19 pm

Angelito wrote:I'd say so. 2011/2012, his return in January really ignited us and we started firing from there on until the season end. Then he picked an injury in the Euros. He again returned in 2012/2013 and drove us forward--playing consistently well and was one of the reasons we made it in the top-4. This season, he's been consistent but we've seen the same from Giroud, Ramsey, Arteta, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Sagna, and Gibbs, so it's wide open this season.

It's arguable, yes, but I don't think anybody has performed at the level Rosicky has, with such consistency over the past 2 seasons, at least. You have Cazorla, who looks so out of it this season. There's Ozil, who started brilliantly but seems to have fizzled away lately. Ramsey started firing during the end of last season. Wilshere has been on and off. In fact, it comes down to him, Arteta, and our defenders basically.

Rosicky only played ten league games last season, and twenty-eight the season before that - he's basically played half of our league games over the past two seasons, and has come off the bench in a fair few of those. As I said, I love the guy, but I don't think you can claim that someone who has played 50% of your games over a certain period has been the most consistent player within an entire squad. He's had plenty of games where he's done little as well. I'm not using that as a slight against him, but he's not exactly set the world alight in the majority of his games.

Also, what's this about Cazorla being 'out of sorts'? You can probably count on one hand how many games he's played since he's returned from injury and he's been fine, and at worst perhaps a little underwhelming. He was superb against Liverpool and if Rosicky has been better this season it's not by much.

I'd say over the past two years Sagna, Gibbs, Mertesacker, Arteta and Szczesny have been more consistent. They've all had dips but for the most part they've put in far more good games then bad ones. Rosicky has been good but he's had plenty of games where he's not really imposed himself on games.
Callum
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2013-14