Man Utd 1-0 Arsenal | Premier League 10/11/13

Re: Man Utd vs Arsenal | Premier League 10/11/13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:46 pm

gooney wrote:
Yago wrote:This is not the gooney I remember.

It is me. Im not too down because i expected a loss.

........ and he's back.

lol, just kidding.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby ivan itchybum » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:48 pm

Just in now. Dissapointed in the end but I must say I was always expecting it. I knew it was never going to be as easy as some people were making out. We created little in the first 60 minutes and were really quite poor.

I hope fatigue had a part to play and that the lads were just knackered.

We have Southampton next week and we need to show the rest that this game was just a speed bump, beating them who are on a great run is a brilliant way to do that.
gooney wrote: I will have a bet with anyone who is willing to take Newcastle will finish ahead of us...how about loser leaves the forum?

13th of May 2012 Arsenal beat West Brom 3-2 to finish 3rd ahead of Newcastle. Gooney is still yet to leave the forum...

"Have faith in Ramsey, he'll come good"
ivan itchybum
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:53 pm

Lets get the record straight here .......

I don't recall anyone saying it was going to be easy or a cake walk but what was said was if you compare our form to Utd's we should be expecting a possible win or a draw minimum.

If we're going to be aiming for PL champions we need to shake off this under dog tag we wear so easily, if we're going to get beat teams should have to wrestle it from us not just turn up like today, it looked like even the players came with that "We're not good enough" mentality and were beaten before the whistle.

Its getting ridiculous with Utd.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby AAIRE99 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:56 pm

I was well chuffed with our performance, Arsenal were fairly unexciting with the Giroud suprise suprise at the heart of most. GG.

Were back in the race at the 12 game mark, when we hammer cardiff 5 0 next week well be in the top 4 :o
AAIRE99
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:03 am

double?
Last edited by DiamondGooner on Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:04 am

DiamondGooner wrote:Lets get the record straight here .......

I don't recall anyone saying it was going to be easy or a cake walk but what was said was if you compare our form to Utd's we should be expecting a possible win or a draw minimum.

If we're going to be aiming for PL champions we need to shake off this under dog tag we wear so easily, if we're going to get beat teams should have to wrestle it from us not just turn up like today, it looked like even the players came with that "We're not good enough" mentality and were beaten before the whistle.

Its getting ridiculous with Utd.

I see it a different way.

In my eyes, we turned up today and something just wasn't quite right - I'm going to go with the fact we had some disruption with the illness before the game, the large number of injuries, the lack of wide man, and that we had come off the back of two huge games against Liverpool and Dortmund. It was a pretty shit series of events leading up until the game and we looked poor today.

All of that considered, with it being our worst performance since the opening day, we still only went down to one goal against a United side that hardly looked much better. It's the tiniest margins that decide these games and on another day we would have come away with a point and everything would be rosy. As it is, United got the win and as everyone loves a good narrative this result is being billed as the catalyst United have needed and the day we came unstuck. I don't see it quite like that.

Manchester City destroyed United 4-1, and everyone thought this was them coming into form - they lost to Aston Villa the following weekend. Chelsea beat City with a last minute goal the weekend before last, and here we were thinking they were definitely our biggest challengers. Two weeks on and they've lost to Newcastle and drawn at home to West Brom. United have secured a great result against us today, but with the way this season has gone and the way they have played up until now, I would not be surprised if they dropped points over the next couple of games. It's been one of those seasons.

I don't think we turned up thinking we're not good enough, as any sane person can see going to Dortmund and Munich and winning twice means you can pretty much go anywhere and win. It just so happened today that United met us when we were tired, ill, struggling with injuries and on a day where our big players had off days. It happens; it was a perfect storm. That said, we still had most of the possession and were never once dominated like in year's gone by.

I'm not trying to say didn't matter - of course it did, and I'm gutted we lost to that mob - but it is not as significant in mental and psychological terms as some would have you think.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:06 am

All in all in a nutshell whatever the reason the fight just wasn't there.

No closing, no real will to win the game, awful but we'll move on.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:09 am

DiamondGooner wrote:All in all in a nutshell whatever the reason the fight just wasn't there.

It comes across like that but I think we were just fatigued, mentally and physically, and it's tough to create against sides that are set out to defend and disrupt your play.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:08 am

Callum wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:All in all in a nutshell whatever the reason the fight just wasn't there.

It comes across like that but I think we were just fatigued, mentally and physically, and it's tough to create against sides that are set out to defend and disrupt your play.

It could very well be fatigue but then that's what we have the squad for.

Monreal should be playing, Flamini and Arteta are perfect to keep each other fresh not play together when it can be helped.

Rosicky or Wilshere can step into CM for Ramsey, they can also step in for the likes of Caz and Ozil even more when Walcott and Pod get back.

I know it was tough this week because 3 top teams you need your best players, but if you rotate one or two max it shouldn't have a negative effect unlike wholesale changes.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Bungle678 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:45 am

Scored a set piece then sat 10 men behind the ball and let their work horse forward chase everything down. I remember we always moaned how a big result papered over the many cracks in our team... This smacks of that but not for us.

We were definitely lacking a yard or two throughout the side, whether that be the illness in the camp or the fact we had 3 top level opponents in 7 days taking its toll.

End of the day, we cant complain about them winning through in a less than dominating fashion after we done the same in the week and this hardly derails our season.
Bungle678
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby AFC10 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:01 am

I was fuming with the result earlier, absolutely fuming but after dwelling and watching the game over again and going through the week we've had I can only see positives from this. In 7 days we've faced the likes of Sturridge, Suarez, Reus, Lewandowski, RVP and Rooney and we've conceded just the one goal which was from a set piece. For me that's amazing and a clear improvement and indications are there that we're making massive progress.

Back to the game - from the get go we looked sluggish, we couldn't get the ball from United in the first 10 minutes and they looked solid. We seemed too scared to attack United throughout the first half and we was constantly playing the ball back and going nowhere which isn't how we've been playing this season.

The second half was slightly better but still not good enough. On another day, Giroud would of finished his chance that Sagna whipped in but it just wasn't meant to be. We had the half odd chance here and there but to only have two good chances in the full 90 minutes just isn't good enough.

I'm not going to sit here making excuses because we was very average but the two key factors to this was tiredness and this f***ing bug that seems to be drifting round the camp now. Excluding two players who have been our best players in the last week was not what we needed at all!

This international break has come at the right time. We need to pick it back up when we return and hope for the love of god Theo's back! We've missed him so much in the last month or so and it's really been showing. Praying Wenger refuses any of our players to take part in any of these stupid international games because we need the likes of Mert, Sagna, Ozil, Ramsey, Giroud, Kos and Gibbs fresh again and they're in a need of a rest.

We're still top of the league by 2 points and it could be a lot worse! We need to keep believing and come back after this break and turn it up once again. We can do it.
AFC10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Diaby24AFC » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:23 am

Maybe illness did have a major factor? Mert was out but he hangs around Ozil quite a bit. So maybe Ozil was a little under the weather too and thus played like shite.
Diaby24AFC
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby AFC10 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:39 am

Diaby24AFC wrote:Maybe illness did have a major factor? Mert was out but he hangs around Ozil quite a bit. So maybe Ozil was a little under the weather too and thus played like shite.

It was. Arteta and Gnabry also had it but they played. Mert would have started definitely but I'm not sure Rosicky
AFC10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby redordead » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:00 am

My only real gripe is that judas c&@t scored against us i dont think ive hated an ex arsenal player with so much venom as i hate him anyway thought it was a classic game of two halves they had the first we were better in tbe second its just annoying that all the weekends results apart from liverpool went our way and we diddnt capitalise on it
I set myself some very low standards in which i fail to achieve
redordead
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Angelito » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:04 am

I think guys on Flamini's crotch may now realize that Arteta-Ramsey is our best CM combination. We got into the gear once Flamini was subbed. Flamini is a great combative player, but unfortunately--we can't afford playing him in these games. We should only use the Flamini-Arteta partnership in big CL ties.

Well, we could have taken the initiative. It sucked. Losing to a van Persie goal makes it worse. But that's done. From here until City/Chelsea, we should win every game possible. We can afford to lose against big teams and still win the League if we beat all the remaining teams. I just hope Podolski and Walcott are back after the break. This ticka-tacka BS players like Ozil and Cazorla makes our play one dimensional. I'm not slating them but I'm tired of their invisible selves in matches.

Callum wrote:
Angelito wrote:And please, please give the captainship to Arteta. We never do well with Vermaelen as our captain. Undefeated with Arteta as our captain the League.

Come off it. This would have made ZERO difference to today's result, so stop whining about shit that doesn't matter.

There is something about Vermaelen as a captain that isn't right. Arteta inspires. Vermaelen doesn't. We have lost two games this season and *both* didn't have Arteta has captain.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2013-14