Arsenal 0-2 Chelsea | League Cup 29/10/13

Re: Arsenal vs Chelsea | League Cup 29/10/13

Postby GSK_AFC » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:03 pm

Plymöuth Gööner wrote:
Plymöuth Gööner wrote:I still blame Smudger for their second!

http://t.co/gksXdIvdiT

lol jinxed us.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby alexafc12 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:03 pm

Myrmedus wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:^ Walcott is not a AM.

He's not a Striker nor a Forward. He's also not really a Winger. That doesn't leave alot of options.

How is he not a winger? He's played the last 7 years right wing. I suppose you could call him a right forward but I'll stick with winger.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby GoonerBeatYa » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:08 pm

Like I said on the Dortmund game, we badly miss Theo. He brings us something different going forward. When we come up against good opposition we lack something in the final third. All these touchy passes around the box just don't cut it against the good sides. They sit back and soak up the pressure and BANG!!! They score and all that pressure was for nothing. We need a killer no nonsense striker who can take on defenders and make a goal from pace and power! Also we need a quality natural winger who can play on either wing because Miyaichi just ain't good enough or ready yet.

" I eat football. Sleep football. I breathe football. I'm not mad, I'm just passionate."
- Thierry Henry
GoonerBeatYa
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:08 pm

alexafc12 wrote:
Inchpräctice wrote:
Myrmedus wrote:
Zëdië wrote:
Myrmedus wrote:Expected to lose but not happy/confident about how disparate our 2nd string is looking compared to our 1st.

Also Bendtner's continued existence (as an Arsenal player) is doing my head in.

You do realise we are missing:

Walcott
arteta
podolski
flamini
gnabry
Ox

Chelsea played with full reserves today, they had no one missing.

Like I already said: look at those players, they're ALL midfielders. We have a plethora of midfield talent but that's about it, look anywhere else and we're sorely lacking.

I wouldn't call Podolski a midfielder.
Theo and Pod would've given us more potency in attack which is exactly what we lacked today.
I thought Bendtner would work harder than he did and offer more, but he looked a bit timid and lacking in confidence.
As someone already said, we have too many injuries to compete on four fronts at the moment.
Chelcunts bring on Ba and Ramires and we bring on Park. Says it all really....

Bendtner is just not good enough, and doesn't suit our game.

We also brought on Ozil and Giroud...

Bendtner is a decent back-up striker option but only when he's on form. On form he's far too good for COC games but he still looks rusty.
Too long without playing regular games.
Yes we did bring on those players but you get my point. If all those players on the list were fit then Bendtner and Park wouldn't have been on the pitch.
I mean these are two players that we've been trying to get shot of ages ffs. We even failed to do that.
It's not surprising that neither of them really give a shit on the pitch.

Ryo was also disappointing, still far too lightweight.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Apollo » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:10 pm

Myrmedus wrote:
Omphi93 wrote:
Myrmedus wrote:
Zëdië wrote:
Myrmedus wrote:Expected to lose but not happy/confident about how disparate our 2nd string is looking compared to our 1st.

Also Bendtner's continued existence (as an Arsenal player) is doing my head in.

You do realise we are missing:

Walcott
arteta
podolski
flamini
gnabry
Ox

Chelsea played with full reserves today, they had no one missing.

Like I already said: look at those players, they're ALL midfielders. We have a plethora of midfield talent but that's about it, look anywhere else and we're sorely lacking.

Our only average player in defense is Jenkinson.

Everyone else first team players/ Internationals.

Being an international doesn't make you talented. Just because you play for Uzbekistan doesn't mean you're a good player.

Who plays for Lizbekistan?

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby alexafc12 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:14 pm

Inchpräctice wrote:
Bendtner is a decent back-up striker option but only when he's on form. On form he's far too good for COC games but he still looks rusty.
Too long without playing regular games.
Yes we did bring on those players but you get my point. If all those players on the list were fit then Bendtner and Park wouldn't have been on the pitch.
I mean these are two players that we've been trying to get shot of ages ffs. We even failed to do that.
It's not surprising that neither of them really give a shit on the pitch.

Bendtner is not good enough to play for us. On form Arshavin and Gervinho are too good for COC games but the problem is they are hardly ever on form.

Bendtner needs to be in a team who cross the ball and he doesn't have to play with his back to goal. I think he's better suited with another strike partner.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Wenger's Coat » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:22 pm

League Cup is not important, but this game was. First time this season we were up against top PL opposition and we fluffed it. Psychologically, this does not set us up well for Liverpool on Saturday, especially since a number of key 1st teamers played.

I hope we don't do our usual roll over and die routine which we have tended to do in the past few years after a setback.

The other lessons from this game are nothing new:

1. Our squad is too thin. Chelsea can field the likes of Mata in their 2nd string. Our answer to that is Bendtner and Miyachi. I'm not saying we should have Messi on the bench but a striker and a centre back are a must in January. Looking at Jenkinson's performance, a right back would not go amiss either.

2. We still have no plan B. Yes, there were a couple of half-hearted attempts to set up Miyachi with balls over the top, but ultimately we still revert to trying to pass it into the net. It's beautiful when it works, but surely it's time we realised we are not Barcelona and cannot afford to play the same way regardless of how the opposition sets up. If we want to win things we must learn to mix it up. The Invincibles could play very direct when it suited the situation.

3. What's with the lethargic start to games? We've done it a couple of times this season already and got away with it, but tonight it cost us. Most of the players on the field tonight had a point to prove, were fresh, and should have been chomping at the bit and getting stuck in. Instead, we started slow and then never really got going properly. Did Wenger tell the team to stand off Chelsea or did the players just not fancy it? At times we looked like the away team.

If we go on to beat Liverpool then this defeat is insignificant - League Cup is just a notch above the Charity Shield. I just hope this isn't a sign of our level against the top teams.
Wenger's Coat
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Myrmedus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:22 pm

Massa wrote:
Myrmedus wrote:

He's not a Striker nor a Forward. He's also not really a Winger. That doesn't leave alot of options.

What stupid reasoning lol. He's a winger/wing-forward

About as stupid as describing a player's position by concatenating multiple positions together. I guess I could've called him a wing-forward-100msprinter-semi-striker-TH14wannabe

He shows about as many attributes as a winger as he does an AM for f**k sakes - the only winger-like attribute he has is speed.
Go Cannons!!
Myrmedus
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Myrmedus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:24 pm

alexafc12 wrote:
Myrmedus wrote:

How is he not a winger? He's played the last 7 years right wing. I suppose you could call him a right forward but I'll stick with winger.

You can play a donkey on a football pitch but it doesn't make said donkey a footballer.

We play him there but I don't really think he has attributes that fit him into any specific role I just chose attacking mid as a generalist description (though it seems alot of people on these forums attach certain qualities to that role that I do not).
Go Cannons!!
Myrmedus
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Massa » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:24 pm

Myrmedus wrote:
Massa wrote:
Myrmedus wrote:

About as stupid as describing a player's position by concatenating multiple positions together. I guess I could've called him a wing-forward-100msprinter-semi-striker-TH14wannabe

He shows about as many attributes as a winger as he does an AM for f**k sakes - the only winger-like attribute he has is speed.

Who cares about showing attributes. He plays on the wing as he's always on that bit of the pitch near the edge :thumbsup: It's okay, we all make mistakes mate. Theo an AM lool

Btw he scores, crosses/assists, and has good pace. Sounds like a winger to me.
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Myrmedus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:27 pm

Massa wrote:
Myrmedus wrote:
Massa wrote:
Myrmedus wrote:

Who cares about showing attributes. He plays on the wing as he's always on that bit of the pitch near the edge :thumbsup: It's okay, we all make mistakes mate. Theo an AM lool

Btw he scores, crosses/assists, and has good pace. Sounds like a winger to me.

Are you kidding me? Who cares about attributes? So you're saying if we play Jenkinson in the striking role he's a striker now? How about when a GK gets sent off and there's no replacement on the bench so a CB is played there, is said CB now considered a CB/GK? That is really clutching at straws.

How about Rooney being played in the midfield for United alot of last season? Is he now a midfielder? How about when we play Gerrard on the left for England, is he now a left winger?

He's played in the winger position, doesn't make him a winger. All that makes him is a passable winger in the opinion of one man (Wenger) and to be honest we don't really -have- proper wingers in our team anyway due to our formation. The closest we have to that is Ox.

Also, plenty of attacking midfielders score, assist and have good pace. The only limitation on them crossing is their generally central position.
Last edited by Myrmedus on Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Go Cannons!!
Myrmedus
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby golfinguy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:32 pm

Inchpräctice wrote:

For me Ryo has always been disappointing. Not sure why Wenger persists - Vela was better and he got rid. Why is this guy special?
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Callum » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:34 pm

What did I miss? Should we move into meltdown mode?
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:35 pm

golfinguy wrote:
Inchpräctice wrote:

For me Ryo has always been disappointing. Not sure why Wenger persists - Vela was better and he got rid. Why is this guy special?

Ok, move on Dejan, nothing to see here! :shifty:
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:36 pm

Callum wrote:What did I miss? Should we move into meltdown mode?

No
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2013-14