West Brom 1-1 Arsenal | Premier League 06/10/13

Re: West Brom vs Arsenal | Premier League 06/10/13

Postby Apollo » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:00 pm

gooney wrote:Its amazing people moan about giroud missing chances. RVP and Aguero miss more chances in regular.....its like people dont watch other teams

Pretty much.

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby GSK_AFC » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:01 pm

gooney wrote:Its amazing people moan about giroud missing chances. RVP and Aguero miss more chances in regular.....its like people dont watch other teams

They can also create a chance for themselves for every one they miss...
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Angelito » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:02 pm

Aguero missed two sitters and ended up scoring a stupendous goal and converted another penalty. If we had Aguero, we wouldn't have lost today. Yes, it's fantasy, but I don't think anybody has any personal agenda against any Arsenal player in this forum. It's quite frankly like from Wrighty to Henry to Adebayor to van Persie to Giroud. See the difference.

Of course, Giroud alone isn't to be blamed, but if you had to pick the weakest link of our team, what would it be? The answer is unanimous. I'd love for Giroud to score 20+ League goals this season but Sturridge has continued his firing start to the season, while Giroud has gone back to where he was. That's the difference.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Massa » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:04 pm

Inchpräctice wrote:
Massa wrote:
Callum wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:But Callum that comes with the territory of being a striker, they ARE throughout football the most criticised players because they are responsible for getting goals.

He didn't have criticism in the Napoli game because he played very well, but today he wasn't awful but that doesn't change the fact that a top striker in games like this can mean the difference between a draw and nicking that winning goal and saving the day.

If we had Higuain or Suarez or whoever making such a performance there would little to no criticism - well, nothing near the amount Giroud gets. He suffers so much from not being other players we were linked with. Of course he should be criticized when he plays badly but any little mistake is jumped upon by a large section of our fans at the first opportunity. If another player made the same mistake nothing would be said.

It's also just f***ing boring being repeatdly told that Giroud isn't world class. Everyone f***ing knows it yet people like Massa feel the need to mention it nearly every game. No-one is saying Giroud is as good as Suarez/ Higuain/ van Persie or that we don't need a new striker.

Just putting across my view that we need better than Giroud which is an ongoing debate so when more evidence to support my view becomes apparent (i.e. today) I will call it out.

If him not scoring supports your view then him scoring goes against it.
In the interest of fairness then, you must post that we don't need a striker every time he scores. Ok?

At the moment he is joint 3rd top scorer in the Prem. He has scored more goals than RVP, Negredo, Oscar, Rooney, Suarez, Dzeko and Soldado and the same amount as Aguero.
So on current form he's as good as Sergio Aguero. A player that probably wouldn't draw as much criticism.

His deficiencies have been apparent since he has come here, so one goal that he scores doesn't change much, whereas another average/crap game supports my view

Aguero's abilities have been apparent since he has come here, so one bad game for him doesn't change much and hence why he wouldn't 'draw as much criticism'
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:04 pm

Very good result today.

PLAYER RATINGS UP
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:05 pm

Ramsey was unfairly criticized week in week out last year for no mistake of his.

Walcott continues to be called toothless despite him being our highest assister and scorer last season.

Wilshere is criticized no matter what he does.

Even Ozil was criticized despite him still being so new to our club and playing style.

People still call Merts slow as heck despite him being one of our most consistent players.

Giroud is not the only one who gets criticized here.

I think Callum needs to create a forum of his own where nobody disagrees with him when he comments. At this point he thinks its his divine right to call people non sensical where the forum rules clearly state it is not allowed on here.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Massa » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:07 pm

People keep using the 'if we had a better striker' line as mostly all of us were calling for a better striker than Giroud in the summer (and nearly got one in Suarez/Higauin); and when this glaringly obvious weakness is not addressed, and Giroud has a poor game, it is frustrating as hell to think 'what could've been..'
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Callum » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:08 pm

Angelito wrote:Aguero missed two sitters and ended up scoring a stupendous goal and converted another penalty. If we had Aguero, we wouldn't have lost today. Yes, it's fantasy, but I don't think anybody has any personal agenda against any Arsenal player in this forum. It's quite frankly like from Wrighty to Henry to Adebayor to van Persie to Giroud. See the difference.

Of course, Giroud alone isn't to be blamed, but if you had to pick the weakest link of our team, what would it be? The answer is unanimous. I'd love for Giroud to score 20+ League goals this season but Sturridge has continued his firing start to the season, while Giroud has gone back to where he was. That's the difference.

Stop with this "if we had X, we would have won today". You cannot say with any f***ing confidence what would have happened, and it's not as if Giroud fluffed chance after chance after chance. He was actually instrumental in our equalizer but that is happily ignored by so many. Also, are people forgetting van Persie was f***ing wank last night? He missed a sitter, but of course, every chance Giroud misses we're reminded "van Persie would buried that".

f**k this negative bullshit. I don't give a f**k who City have, or which superb players we used to have. We've got what we've got and we're making a good f***ing go of it despite all the supposed problems we've had. We're top of the league, Giroud has scored a lot and been instrumental in a few of our goals this season but people still blame him for things that are not his fault.

Any time we drop points our fans lose their shit and moan moan moan. f***ing frustrating as anything.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:09 pm

Every criticism is justifiable if you can back it up. Wilshere did nothing but go to the ground, but he scored a goal and we're thankful for it. Ozil created some lovely chances but nobody took them. Walcott has games where he goes completely missing.

There is a reason why players are criticized. In today's game, barring Koscielny, Rosicky, and Ozil, nobody played well. Wilshere didn't put he had two BRILLIANT moments, so you can see--that's what class does.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby starmandb » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:10 pm

Myrmedus wrote:Game was over the second Bendtner came on. It's like he just has an aura of apathy and lethargy around him that affects the entire team.

you mean like it was when
07/08
equalised v villa
08/09
winner v kiev
09/10
winner at hull
winner v wolves
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Callum » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:10 pm

Massa wrote:People keep using the 'if we had a better striker' line as mostly all of us were calling for a better striker than Giroud in the summer (and nearly got one in Suarez/Higauin); and when this glaringly obvious weakness is not addressed, and Giroud has a poor game, it is frustrating as hell to think 'what could've been..'

It doesn't need to be said virtually every game. I'm tired of hearing Higuain and Suarez's name almost every game. I would have loved to have bought either of them but until January we've got who we've got, Giroud has still been one of our best players this season and we're top of the f***ing league.

There's no discussion to be had as virtually everyone agrees we need a new striker.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:12 pm

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:Ramsey was unfairly criticized week in week out last year for no mistake of his.

Walcott continues to be called toothless despite him being our highest assister and scorer last season.

Wilshere is criticized no matter what he does.

Even Ozil was criticized despite him still being so new to our club and playing style.

People still call Merts slow as heck despite him being one of our most consistent players.

Giroud is not the only one who gets criticized here.

I think Callum needs to create a forum of his own where nobody disagrees with him when he comments. At this point he thinks its his divine right to call people non sensical where the forum rules clearly state it is not allowed on here.

I happily debate people on here, I just believe you can't write off two players playing together after one game playing together. It's reactionary, and it's knee-jerk.

You say something, I disagree. I say something, you disagree. I don't see why you're taking the higher ground here.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:13 pm

Callum wrote:
Angelito wrote:Aguero missed two sitters and ended up scoring a stupendous goal and converted another penalty. If we had Aguero, we wouldn't have lost today. Yes, it's fantasy, but I don't think anybody has any personal agenda against any Arsenal player in this forum. It's quite frankly like from Wrighty to Henry to Adebayor to van Persie to Giroud. See the difference.

Stop with this "if we had X, we would have won today". You cannot say with any f***ing confidence what would have happened, and it's not as if Giroud fluffed chance after chance after chance. He was actually instrumental in our equalizer but that is happily ignored by so many. Also, are people forgetting van Persie was f***ing wank last night? He missed a sitter, but of course, every chance Giroud misses we're reminded "van Persie would buried that".

f**k this negative bullshit. I don't give a f**k who City have, or which superb players we used to have. We've got what we've got and we're making a good f***ing go of it despite all the supposed problems we've had. We're top of the league, Giroud has scored a lot and been instrumental in a few of our goals this season but people still blame him for things that are not his fault.

Any time we drop points our fans lose their shit and moan moan moan. f***ing frustrating as anything.

Nobody calls van Persie shit for having a poor game because he is the Golden Boot winner for two seasons running, so people expect such a "bad game" to be a one off or a rarity. In the case of Giroud, a good game is considered a "rarity." That's not my opinion. That's the general consensus. It's also not far away from the truth. Fan boy-ism is on one side, truth on the other.

Also, our fans--we--bitch and moan when we drop points because we have been dropping points for the past 8 seasons. Kind of a long time, you see... That's the difference between City fans, Chelsea fans, United fans, and Arsenal fans. We're soooooooo used to not winning anything that whenever we dare to dream, it turns out to be a nightmare.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Callum » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:14 pm

Angelito wrote:Of course, Giroud alone isn't to be blamed, but if you had to pick the weakest link of our team, what would it be? The answer is unanimous. I'd love for Giroud to score 20+ League goals this season but Sturridge has continued his firing start to the season, while Giroud has gone back to where he was. That's the difference.

"gone back to where he was"

What? Do you watch our games? He got an assist versus Swansea, scored versus Napoli and played a big part in Ozil's goal, and today he held the ball up well and played the ball to Rosicky to let Jack in. That's four goals in a week he's either assisted, scored or played a huge part in, yet still he gets stick.

Also, Podolski was f***ing wank up front last season. Giroud is twice the player as him in that position.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:15 pm

Callum wrote:Good result.

We're going into the international break top of the league and having dropped two points from six games. Spurs got smashed at home to West Ham whilst West Brom are on a superb run. We've got a nice easy game at home to Palace after the internationals and Cazorla, Podolski, Walcott and Sagna might all be available then (or around then).

we have got norwich at home next
palace is away on the 26th october
starmandb

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2013-14