West Brom 1-1 Arsenal | Premier League 06/10/13

Re: West Brom vs Arsenal | Premier League 06/10/13

Postby Massa » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:15 pm

Callum wrote:
Massa wrote:People keep using the 'if we had a better striker' line as mostly all of us were calling for a better striker than Giroud in the summer (and nearly got one in Suarez/Higauin); and when this glaringly obvious weakness is not addressed, and Giroud has a poor game, it is frustrating as hell to think 'what could've been..'

It doesn't need to be said virtually every game. I'm tired of hearing Higuain and Suarez's name almost every game. I would have loved to have bought either of them but until January we've got who we've got, Giroud has still been one of our best players this season and we're top of the f***ing league.

There's no discussion to be had as virtually everyone agrees we need a new striker.

There's a discussion to be had a moderate amount think Giroud is good enough.
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Callum » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:16 pm

Angelito wrote:That's not my opinion. That's the general consensus. It's also not far away from the truth. Fan boy-ism is on one side, truth on the other.

That's just plain wrong! Christ alive, you're pulling shit out of your arse. He's had plenty more good games this season than bad ones. Do you even watch him play?

It's clear you've just made your mind up about him a long time ago.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:16 pm

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:Ramsey was unfairly criticized week in week out last year for no mistake of his.

He was criticized because he was playing shit. That he gave the ball away by trying 125 backheels a match didnt help either.

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:Wilshere is criticized no matter what he does.

He was poor today.

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:Even Ozil was criticized despite him still being so new to our club and playing style.

Its not a crime to say he didnt play well. Just because he is our new golden boy, doesnt mean everything we have to say about him is positive

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:People still call Merts slow as heck despite him being one of our most consistent players.

What is your point? He is indeed slow.

We as fans, as many of us as paying fans, have all right to criticize our team or our players. If we are only to say positive things about our club, what will that help?

edit: i think i missed your point lol
Last edited by Dejan on Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:16 pm

starmandb wrote:
Massa wrote:
CrimsönGunner11 wrote:
Omphi93 wrote:
Massa wrote:Mr. 'nothing but pace' would help with our passive style of play atm...

This is the exact type of game where he wouldnt help.

I agree. Walcott would be hugging the touchline if he came up against this sort of pressure. We need a Rosicky or Gnabry imo, somebody who will run at their defense and create chances for others

Walcott got more assists last season than Rosicky has since the start of 2007. I think he can create chances

walcott 16 assists last season
rosicky 19 assists since 2007

Massa mod edit: For Arsenal?

yes for arsenal
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Dejan » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:18 pm

starmandb wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Massa wrote:
CrimsönGunner11 wrote:
Omphi93 wrote:
Massa wrote:Mr. 'nothing but pace' would help with our passive style of play atm...

This is the exact type of game where he wouldnt help.

I agree. Walcott would be hugging the touchline if he came up against this sort of pressure. We need a Rosicky or Gnabry imo, somebody who will run at their defense and create chances for others

Walcott got more assists last season than Rosicky has since the start of 2007. I think he can create chances

walcott 16 assists last season
rosicky 19 assists since 2007

Massa mod edit: For Arsenal?

yes for arsenal

:rofll: :rofll: :rofll:
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:20 pm

Callum wrote:
Angelito wrote:Of course, Giroud alone isn't to be blamed, but if you had to pick the weakest link of our team, what would it be? The answer is unanimous. I'd love for Giroud to score 20+ League goals this season but Sturridge has continued his firing start to the season, while Giroud has gone back to where he was. That's the difference.

"gone back to where he was"

What? Do you watch our games? He got an assist versus Swansea, scored versus Napoli and played a big part in Ozil's goal, and today he held the ball up well and played the ball to Rosicky to let Jack in. That's four goals in a week he's either assisted, scored or played a huge part in, yet still he gets stick.

Also, Podolski was f***ing wank up front last season. Giroud is twice the player as him in that position.

Kinda naive to ask me that.

Yeah, but Podolski had the same number of goals and more assists in less games and game time... ;)

You like Giroud. I do too. We all do. I don't care if we win our remaining 31 games from own goals, as long as we win. Giroud's poor start and the two misses today were amongst the reasons why we drew. Don't sit there acting like Giroud should be immune to criticism. He won't. No player will be. And, don't expect Giroud to get the same treatment that van persie, Aguero, or Suarez do because he won't either. If you're playing for Arsenal, you need to do better. It doesn't help Giroud that his predecessors were world class.

I'm all for fair play, love, acceptance, patience, toleration, etc, but there is no need to get worked over a player being criticized. What you feel won't change anything.

I'll clear it: Giroud isn't the sole reason we didn't win today, but he had the two best chances of the game and blew it. You won't get rave reviews after that.
Last edited by Angelito on Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:20 pm

Dejan wrote:
Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:Ramsey was unfairly criticized week in week out last year for no mistake of his.

He was criticized because he was playing shit. That he gave the ball away by trying 125 backheels a match didnt help either.

He was poor today.

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:Even Ozil was criticized despite him still being so new to our club and playing style.

Its not a crime to say he didnt play well. Just because he is our new golden boy, doesnt mean everything we have to say about him is positive

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:People still call Merts slow as heck despite him being one of our most consistent players.

Giroud is not the only one who gets criticized here.

We as fans, as many of us as paying fans, have all right to criticize our team or our players. If we are only to say positive things about our club, what will that help?

I have actually noticed not just here but on another forum I used to post on, Giroud fans are very highly strung, its almost like everyone is fair game but Giroud.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:21 pm

Dejan wrote:

He was poor today.

LOL all i meant was that everybody gets criticized and there is no need to get hyper when somebody criticizes a player you admire. I didn't say/mean we do not have a right to criticize our players. all i was saying players have been criticized sometimes fairly and sometimes unfairly we need to sometimes agree to disagree instead of bursting our spleen to defend somebody. I used to vehemently defend Walcott last season but now i have given up cos i know you cannot change somebody's opinion sometimes and you need to agree to disagree and keep things civil.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:21 pm

ye i missed your point then lol sorry
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Apollo » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:22 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Dejan wrote:

He was poor today.

I have actually noticed not just here but on another forum I used to post on, Giroud fans are very highly strung, its almost like everyone is fair game but Giroud.

No one is above criticism.

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Angelito » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:24 pm

Callum wrote:
Angelito wrote:That's not my opinion. That's the general consensus. It's also not far away from the truth. Fan boy-ism is on one side, truth on the other.

That's just plain wrong! Christ alive, you're pulling shit out of your arse. He's had plenty more good games this season than bad ones. Do you even watch him play?

It's clear you've just made your mind up about him a long time ago.

You're assuming. As I've been saying, for all I care--Szczesny may score for us for the 3 points because it doesn't matter WHO scores as long as WE get the 3 points. I don't care for individual players. If Giroud scores 31 in the next 31, I would gladly eat the humble pie and show off while eating it.

Don't know why people get so worked over individual players...
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Callum » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:27 pm

"Giroud having a good game is a rarity. That's the general consensus".

- Scores for fun in pre-season
- Scores opener vs. Villa
- Scored in Turkey vs. Fenerbahce
- Scored opener vs. Fulham
- Plucked ball out of the air superbly for Podolski's goal vs. Fulham
- Scores winner vs. Spurs
- Scores opener vs. Sunderland
- Assists Ramsey vs. Sunderland
- Terrorizes Spurs all game and plays superbly
- Gives Huth and Shawcross a battle vs. Stoke and plays well
- Assists Ramsey for his goal vs. Swansea
- Great hold up play in build up for Ozil goal vs. Napoli
- Scores vs. Napoli
- Plays big part in Wilshere goal vs. West Brom

That's 11 goals he's either scored, assisted or been directly involved in. We've scored 24 this season.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Wenger's Coat » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:27 pm

Shame about the two dropped points, but not a bad result overall.

It is clear, however, that we MUST buy a top striker if we want to be title contenders. Whatever you think of Giroud, bringing on Bendtner when you are chasing a goal is just desperate.

There will be other games this season when we need to throw some fresh legs up front in the hope of snatching an extra few points. If those fresh legs are going to be Bendtner's then I don't fancy our chances.

Let's get the best we can in January and let him battle it out with Giroud for the starting spot.
Wenger's Coat
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:28 pm

Dejan wrote:ye i missed your point then lol sorry

:1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif:
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:30 pm

I didn't want to have to do this but you people made me.

Callum
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2013-14