Semi finals (Netherlands 0-0 * Argentina)

Talk about this years world cup!
World cup begins on Thursday 12th June.

Re: Semi finals (Netherlands 0-0 * Argentina)

Postby Angelito » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:46 pm

Messi basically played CM for much of the QFs against Belgium. Against the Netherlands, for 60 odd minutes, there was a huge bus in front of the Argentinean attack, with Messi playing as a CAM behind the three attackers. He's the walking reason why Argentina were in the game for 120 mins. Netherlands were more worried about Messi than scoring a goal themselves.

Germany, in the Final, won't park the bus. Schweini and Khedira will be after Messi all game long, but it may just be the perfect game for Messi. Unlike Switzerland and Netherlands, Germany won't entirely focus on Messi and unlike Belgium, they won't be clueless. It has all the ingredients for a classic and it's the exact kind of environment Messi excels in. For all the praise Germany is getting, their defense isn't great. Ask SchGoo, what he feels. Germany haven't been tested defensively, which doesn't bode well for them entering the Final against Argentina amidst 50,000 Argentinians at the Maracana.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Diaby24AFC » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:44 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... fused.html

Louis van Gaal says Ron Vlaar took first Holland penalty in World Cup semi-final shootout as team-mates refused

Source wrote:Louis van Gaal revealed that he took the surprise decision to make Aston Villa centre-back Ron Vlaar his first penalty taker only after asking two other unnamed Dutch players.
Van Gaal also said he would have again brought on reserve goalkeeper Tim Krul if he had not already used his other substitutes.
Vlaar missed the first penalty to immediately hand Argentina the initiative in the shoot-out. After being widely praised for his tactics in the shoot-out win against Costa Rica when he brought on Krul, Van Gaal said that penalties were simply a matter of luck.
“We took those penalties in an incredible way against Costa Rica,” said Van Gaal. “It should give you confidence. But the issue is you score the first one and I asked two players to take the first kick before ending up with Vlaar. I thought he was the best player on the pitch so should have a lot of confidence. It just goes to show that it’s not easy scoring in a penalty shoot-out.”
Asked why he had already taken off three outfield players - Robin van Persie, Nigel de Jong and Bruno Martins Indi - before the shoot-out, Van Gaal said: “I substituted Indi because he already had a yellow card and had to mark Enzo Pérez and was often too late. I thought he wasn’t executing properly. De Jong I didn’t want to risk. He might have been injured himself again. I substituted Van Persie because he was exhausted.”

If true, then these Dutch players are cowards. I understand if these superstars like Robben and Schneider aren't feeling it but why consider yourself world class if you can't take the pressure? That's why you get paid as a professional athlete, no? Even if they weren't feeling it to go first, they'll probably convert at a higher percentage than a defender like Vlaar. Now Vlaar, who had a great match and did everything he could for the team, is a scapegoat thanks to his coward superstars, who couldn't do what they were supposed to.

Diaby24AFC
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Cripps » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:05 am

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... -argentina

Would have been hilarious had it stood which it should have had the ref done his job.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Previous

Return to FIFA World Cup 2014