Group G - (GER, PORT, GHANA, USA)

Talk about this years world cup!
World cup begins on Thursday 12th June.

Re: Group G - (GER, PORT, GHANA, USA)

Postby LMAO » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:30 pm

Cripps wrote:Whoever wins that game has a great chance to reach the semi or as Americans would say semeye finals.

lol no. USA/Belgium winner is going to get turned over by Argentina in the next round. Even I'm not that delusional.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby LMAO » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:30 pm

Sims wrote:
Cripps wrote:What the f**k is the we believe we will win shit from USA?

:rofll:
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Cripps » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:32 pm

Brandon wrote:
Cripps wrote:Whoever wins that game has a great chance to reach the semi or as Americans would say semeye finals.

lol no. USA/Belgium winner is going to get turned over by Argentina in the next round. Even I'm not that delusional.

Lol Argentina are shit.

USA or Belgium will beat them comfortably.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby kronickaos » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:40 pm

Cripps wrote:
Brandon wrote:

Lol Argentina are shit.

USA or Belgium will beat them comfortably.

You forget that Argentina has the GOAT in some peoples eyes...
kronickaos
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Cripps » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:50 pm

Lol.

He's good but he's not that good.

Argentina usually flop when it matters. They haven't impressed yet. Couple of goals for druggie won't change a thing.

Knockout stages now. Pressure goes up. They'll f**k up.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby elkanofan » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:03 am

The greatest of all time is either pele or maradona.

With Cruyff, Zidane, Puskas, Beckenbauer, Di Stefano, Garrincha and the original Ronaldo behind them in some order.

Then you have van basten, baggio, socrates, zico, baresi, platini, rivelino, charlton, matthews, Ronaldinho and many more before we even speak of modern players

The only modern player who has any sort of potential to upset the top 10 of all time is Messi.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Callum » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:56 am

The thing is that modern players are just better, on the whole, than they were decades ago. To make it now you have to be faster, more physical and able to play far more matches. Guys like Ferenc Puskas, who was one of the greatest strikers of his generation, was pretty fat and slow but back then it didn't matter so much. You'd probably take most average Premier League strikers over him in the modern game.

Anyway, I think both Messi and Ronaldo will down in the top five. What they have been doing for the past few years has just been incredible and is unmatchable in history. I think if Messi wins this World Cup for Argentina then he really will be seen as the greatest of all time because at the moment a defining World Cup performance is pretty much the only thing the likes of Maradona and Pele have over him right now.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Schlandi » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:24 am

Completely different game you can't compare the "old days football" with "modern football" also different rules (no substitutions, no cards aso.).
The game since the last two decades becomes much faster (you remember the days before the back-pass rule ? Image) , much more athletic has strongly advanced tactics aso.

Pele never had the courage to play in an european league and he always had great footballers around him in the Brazil team I personally think he is highly overrated also he really was an asshole on the pitch (f.e. his in the long term career ending foul against Giesemann in 1965 in the same match he stomped on Höttges forearm in a friendly btw ! (Giesemann was subbed in for Höttges..at HT) cause he couldn't beat these two defenders but today you only hear about the fouls on Pele and their a lot of simply wrong stories about his achievments/performances on the pitch around. Creation of legends here we come ..

I'm not a fan of these "biggest of all time comparsions" but I personally think Maradona don't get the respect he deserves as a player.
He carried among others a piss poor Naples side to some titles plus a mostly average Argentinia to a WC title.

#GoonersWorldExcuses
- Their goalkeerper had the game of his life
- We should have had 10+ penalties .. shit ref
- If long term injured player xyz would have been available we would have won easily
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Zedie » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:37 pm

SchlandGooner wrote:Completely different game you can't compare the "old days football" with "modern football" also different rules (no substitutions, no cards aso.).
The game since the last two decades becomes much faster (you remember the days before the back-pass rule ? Image) , much more athletic has strongly advanced tactics aso.

Pele never had the courage to play in an european league and he always had great footballers around him in the Brazil team I personally think he is highly overrated also he really was an asshole on the pitch (f.e. his in the long term career ending foul against Giesemann in 1965 in the same match he stomped on Höttges forearm in a friendly btw ! (Giesemann was subbed in for Höttges..at HT) cause he couldn't beat these two defenders but today you only hear about the fouls on Pele and their a lot of simply wrong stories about his achievments/performances on the pitch around. Creation of legends here we come ..

I'm not a fan of these "biggest of all time comparsions" but I personally think Maradona don't get the respect he deserves as a player.
He carried among others a piss poor Naples side to some titles plus a mostly average Argentinia to a WC title.

Tbf to pele and maradona, as you said back then was completely different physically. There was a time when club teams had 11 players full stop.

Also, you only have to look at 'clean challenges in those days to laugh hard at what some players will go down for nowadays.

On the phone, but if someone can post the maradona leg break clip from when he was at barca, the tackle was from behind and straight through him!

Those sorts of tackles were the norm.

Todays players probably wouldnt survive back then, just as the older generations probably couldnt function properly in todays game.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:47 pm

Get in! The group ended up not being that difficult with Port and Ghana not playing well. We did get a bit lucky but that's football. Bring on Belgium!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Apollo » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:48 pm

Zedie wrote:
SchlandGooner wrote:Completely different game you can't compare the "old days football" with "modern football" also different rules (no substitutions, no cards aso.).

Tbf to pele and maradona, as you said back then was completely different physically. There was a time when club teams had 11 players full stop.

Also, you only have to look at 'clean challenges in those days to laugh hard at what some players will go down for nowadays.

On the phone, but if someone can post the maradona leg break clip from when he was at barca, the tackle was from behind and straight through him!

Those sorts of tackles were the norm.

Todays players probably wouldnt survive back then, just as the older generations probably couldnt function properly in todays game.

Bingo, thats why you keep GOAT discussion generational.

You play a different game generation to generation.The closest you can possibly come to comparing players from different eras is by comparing just how much better there were than everyone else in their respective generations.

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby StLGooner » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:17 pm

Callum wrote:
Brandon wrote:When the groups were drawn, everyone said the US couldn't do it. There was no way the US was getting out of a group that had Germany, Portugal, and Ghana. I said we could not only get out but reach the quarterfinals. Everyone laughed at me; said I was bonkers. Well now it's time the US continues to #ShockTheWorld

This sort of shit is why people hate the USA.

Shows the ignorance of the haters more than anything. How dare a few people actually have confidence in their national team. I mean the gull of them is outrageous!! :rolleyes:

Even then to go and hate a whole country of people for the actions of a few. Classy! :clap:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Yorkyblue » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:20 pm

Obama called it the group of death :lol: Kept going on about it being by far the hardest. :lol:
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby StLGooner » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:27 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:Obama called it the group of death :lol: Kept going on about it being by far the hardest. :lol:

The media called it the group of death. It's not like Obama made it up himself. Lets put some logic and perspective on this please.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Sims » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:45 pm

You could easily say that Messi & Ronaldo are the two greatest players ever. I doubt Diego & co would be as effective now as they were when they played (if they were the same age obviously).
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

PreviousNext

Return to FIFA World Cup 2014