Postby Dejan » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:51 pm

^jep
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Re: Group G - (GER, PORT, GHANA, USA)

Postby StLGooner » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:00 pm

Regardless if it was the hardest group or not. I don't see how someone can hate a whole country for being a bit positive. I'm insanely pessimistic when it comes to the sports teams I support. I didn't expect us to even score, let alone squeak out of that group. How dare we get excited about that, or even think that we could get out of that group before hand. Stupid daft yanks!! :rolleyes:

Listen I'm use to people hating the US, but at least have a logical, mature reason to, if there even is one. FFS!!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Zenith » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:06 pm

People are herd animals, some a bit more than others. ;)
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby elkanofan » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:11 pm

Zedie wrote:
SchlandGooner wrote:Completely different game you can't compare the "old days football" with "modern football" also different rules (no substitutions, no cards aso.).
The game since the last two decades becomes much faster (you remember the days before the back-pass rule ? Image) , much more athletic has strongly advanced tactics aso.

Pele never had the courage to play in an european league and he always had great footballers around him in the Brazil team I personally think he is highly overrated also he really was an asshole on the pitch (f.e. his in the long term career ending foul against Giesemann in 1965 in the same match he stomped on Höttges forearm in a friendly btw ! (Giesemann was subbed in for Höttges..at HT) cause he couldn't beat these two defenders but today you only hear about the fouls on Pele and their a lot of simply wrong stories about his achievments/performances on the pitch around. Creation of legends here we come ..

I'm not a fan of these "biggest of all time comparsions" but I personally think Maradona don't get the respect he deserves as a player.
He carried among others a piss poor Naples side to some titles plus a mostly average Argentinia to a WC title.

Tbf to pele and maradona, as you said back then was completely different physically. There was a time when club teams had 11 players full stop.

Also, you only have to look at 'clean challenges in those days to laugh hard at what some players will go down for nowadays.

On the phone, but if someone can post the maradona leg break clip from when he was at barca, the tackle was from behind and straight through him!

Those sorts of tackles were the norm.

Todays players probably wouldnt survive back then, just as the older generations probably couldnt function properly in todays game.

Yes. Its not about the records broken. It's how each player breaks it. Its not about just winning the trophy is how you win it which creates the legacy.

We live in a world of black and white absolutes dictatced to us by the elite. Players maybe faster and stronger now but we could also say players are less intelligent, less creative, far less technical and lack the mentality of player in years gone by. Players are less unique compared to prevoius generations also.

Technique has gone downhill this generation along with defending. Its f***ing awful.

This shouldn't come as a surprise, many sports like formula 1, rugby, basketball aren't the same. Its a general effect happening with society. Comercial Music has been dead for a good 10 years or so now.

Compleltey disagree about Messi and Cristiano being the top 5 best ever. Henry was better than both and would easily domiate this generation if he was born 10 years later, nethier show anything new or groundbreaking in his generation. They are the marketing superstars with teams built around them to be the star.

Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi are the last of a golden generation of world class players. Underneath them both is just a sea of meh!

That includes Luis Suarez who has yet to play a champions league knockout fixture in his career. I do think that this is a poor generation of selfish 'what could of been' footballers with nonsense like tevez refusing to play for 5 months for no reason an example of why this generation of football has been poor.

Players just don't care enough.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Yorkyblue » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:17 pm

ChVïnt22 wrote:Regardless if it was the hardest group or not. I don't see how someone can hate a whole country for being a bit positive. I'm insanely pessimistic when it comes to the sports teams I support. I didn't expect us to even score, let alone squeak out of that group. How dare we get excited about that, or even think that we could get out of that group before hand. Stupid daft yanks!! :rolleyes:

Listen I'm use to people hating the US, but at least have a logical, mature reason to, if there even is one. FFS!!

I just hate the ones who pretend to care. Like the ones walking around Disney World yesterday with USA football shirts on during the game.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby StLGooner » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:32 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:
ChVïnt22 wrote:Regardless if it was the hardest group or not. I don't see how someone can hate a whole country for being a bit positive. I'm insanely pessimistic when it comes to the sports teams I support. I didn't expect us to even score, let alone squeak out of that group. How dare we get excited about that, or even think that we could get out of that group before hand. Stupid daft yanks!! :rolleyes:

I just hate the ones who pretend to care. Like the ones walking around Disney World yesterday with USA football shirts on during the game.

I'm sure those type of band wagoners are in every country.

Are you at Disney World now?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Trina » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:37 pm

ChVïnt22 wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:

:lol: I was going to ask him the same thing and ask why he didn't tell me he was going! Then remembered I text him last night about going to rugby tomorrow and he's working.

....that or he's lying to me and is at Disney World :think:

:P
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby StLGooner » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:46 pm

I was going to be mad he didn't tell me he was coming to the States!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:50 pm

ChVïnt22 wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:

But hey I get it. You lot hate to see all of our cringe worthy comments/statements/reactions/songs about "soccer". But listen, if England all of the sudden starting gaining a huge interest in baseball and even started their own league you would have plenty of those type of things we thought were cringe worthy. I'm sure when I first started on this forum I probably sounded like a real knob when talking about football (probably still do), but give us a little time we'll get it right! :biggrin:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby LMAO » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:17 pm

ChVïnt22 wrote:
ChVïnt22 wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:

But hey I get it. You lot hate to see all of our cringe worthy comments/statements/reactions/songs about "soccer". But listen, if England all of the sudden starting gaining a huge interest in baseball and even started their own league you would have plenty of those type of things we thought were cringe worthy. I'm sure when I first started on this forum I probably sounded like a real knob when talking about football (probably still do), but give us a little time we'll get it right! :biggrin:

Baseball is cringe worthy regardless. :hiding:
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Yorkyblue » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:18 pm

My mate is there and he was telling me. I'm going next year though ChVint.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby StLGooner » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:27 pm

Brandon wrote:
ChVïnt22 wrote:
ChVïnt22 wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:

Baseball is cringe worthy regardless. :hiding:

Truuuuuuu!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:27 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:My mate is there and he was telling me. I'm going next year though ChVint.

Nice! Let me know when buddy! Might be able to work something out.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Yorkyblue » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:29 pm

Sounds good. Getting a Villa so there will be a spare room. Usually for 8 people and only 4 of us going.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to FIFA World Cup 2014