What are you reading?

Talk about TV, Film, Music, and Games.

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Est83 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:00 am

I've never got into fiction personally, although I do intend to at some point. The only fictional book I've read in the last ten years is Sophies World. Lots of philosophy history in there though.

Currently I'm finishing one book and starting another. Getting to the end of The Last Holiday: A Memoir, by Gil Scott-Heron... great read but it's taking me ages to finish as reading isn't part of my every day routine. And have half-started (on a couple of occasions) False Dawn << so far so good, reccommend it for any doughnut that's even contemplating voting Tory in the next elections.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Swan » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:48 am

GSK_AFC wrote:I tried reading books from my ipad but I couldn't really get into it as my ipad is too big so I switched back to physical books. There are significant advantages of reading electronically though, you can read in the dark, alter font size and what I found most useful was you can highlight the text and make notes but that might not be relevant to the books you read and I don't know if you can do it on a kindle. Its probably better environmentally too.

you think so?

i'm not so sure about that ( i'm not a pro or anything) but tablets and pc stuff can't be recycled and all that plastic that is involved in making them and all that shit in the screen is not good but a book is just papper
Swan
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby TheArsenalPost » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:19 pm

I haven't read a fiction book in years. All I have to contend with now is all my Uni readings which are about as dull as dish water.
TheArsenalPost
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby StLGooner » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:33 pm

The End of Faith by Sam Harris.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby GSK_AFC » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:38 pm

Swan wrote:
GSK_AFC wrote:I tried reading books from my ipad but I couldn't really get into it as my ipad is too big so I switched back to physical books. There are significant advantages of reading electronically though, you can read in the dark, alter font size and what I found most useful was you can highlight the text and make notes but that might not be relevant to the books you read and I don't know if you can do it on a kindle. Its probably better environmentally too.

you think so?

i'm not so sure about that ( i'm not a pro or anything) but tablets and pc stuff can't be recycled and all that plastic that is involved in making them and all that shit in the screen is not good but a book is just papper

It saves the trees though doesn't it as less books would be published. I'm not sure myself though tbh.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Swan » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:27 pm

GSK_AFC wrote:
Swan wrote:

you think so?

It saves the trees though doesn't it as less books would be published. I'm not sure myself though tbh.

that is true but trees are grown to be cut down to be made into paper.. who knows which is really better or not better should i say
Swan
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Est83 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:12 pm

:think:

Tell that to the wild life that live in the trees "don't worry little monkey, we'll grow another tree! You'll have a new home in a hundred years or so."

You big meanie!

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Swan » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:29 am

yes get bale out the f***ing tree..
Swan
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Est83 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:54 am

Bale is what happens when you destroy a monkey's home, they come into the city and start kicking footballs and diving on grass... the love it!

Should never have destroyed that Welsh rain forrest :doh:

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby ayN » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:16 am

Wenger please go away
ayN
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby arsenalyank » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:39 am

Swan wrote:
GSK_AFC wrote:
Swan wrote:

you think so?

that is true but trees are grown to be cut down to be made into paper.. who knows which is really better or not better should i say

I've heard that whole photosynthesis thing is kinda important too
arsenalyank
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Swan » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:46 am

arsenalyank wrote:
Swan wrote:
GSK_AFC wrote:
Swan wrote:

you think so?

I've heard that whole photosynthesis thing is kinda important too
hogwash
Swan
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Est83 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:58 pm

^^^ you're actually right there, it is hogwash.

90% (or there abouts) of the world's oxygen comes from algae. You'd have to destroy a hell of a lot of wood/forrest/jungle to make a noticable difference to the world's oxygen level.

... but still, the monkeys! The birds! The bugs! Swan doesn't give a shit about them! :naughty:

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby CynicalGooner » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:46 am

Was halfway through two different sci fi novels (Nova Swing, The Algerbraist) and needed a change of scene so bought a fantasy book called Prince of Thorns. Glad I did, almost finished with it in one weekend which must be a record for me.

Dark and brutal, I recommend. Although the main character does lack a little believability. Still, getting the sequel ASAP
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Youngie » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:21 am

New scientist, and feeling very stupid indeed :(
Youngie
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment