WANTED.... For crimes against music

Re: WANTED.... For crimes against music

Postby djaxster » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:21 pm

The late 80's 87+ bought in the Acid House and the raves that the kids still go to today. The hip-hop and house scene has spawned what the kid's listen to today.. It's like when rocknroll hit in the 50's
djaxster
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby mg86 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:37 pm

T-Pain, Lil Jon
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby UFGN » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:54 pm

Special mention for Yoko Ono.

The f***ing bitch
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

WANTED.... For crimes against music

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:59 pm

Robson and Jerome
PJ and Duncan
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:22 pm

VCC wrote:queen were a seventies band winks actually formed in the very early seventies,along with Jackson who,s solo carreer started in the seventies,Talking heads were seventies as well made their fame in the eighties,Bowie was the 60's as well as Jackson with the Jackson 5 i think it was until he went solo with that god awful song Ben.Prince was the late seventies as well i think.

So the year that a band was formed dictates wat era they should be considered as? Jackson produced excellent music through the 80s and beyond but because he went solo, he cant be counted as one of the greatest artists of he 80s?

That notion is broken.

Same applies to Prince, Queen and anyone else you can think of, unless their career actually went mia in the 80s
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:32 pm

UFGN wrote:Zedie, f**k Whitney Houston. She was a glorified kareoke singer who helped to create the shit "r&b" sound that we are still being inflicted with today. She only just avoided going on my list.

How you could dismiss Houston as a Karoake singer is beyond me!!

The range of octaves she could reach in tune, on all levels far outstrips anything that most artists have been capable of. She was an excellent singer regardless of whether or not she died, but im assuming that you choose to overlook that because you dont come across as a Soul/RnB/Motown fan and just werent into her sound.

Looking at Guns and Roses for example, i wouldnt say that that Axel Rose was the best vocalist, but i could see that he did sound unique and while i was never really into him, i wouldnt just proclaim that he was a skin jeaned numpty who needed a back hand (although he seemed like the kind of block that did/does).

Someone else also made the point that Houston didnt write all her songs... what has that got to do with how great an artist is? Would Messi be shit at football because he couldnt manage a team? No, that doesnt make sense either.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:32 pm

Zedie wrote:
VCC wrote:queen were a seventies band winks actually formed in the very early seventies,along with Jackson who,s solo carreer started in the seventies,Talking heads were seventies as well made their fame in the eighties,Bowie was the 60's as well as Jackson with the Jackson 5 i think it was until he went solo with that god awful song Ben.Prince was the late seventies as well i think.

So the year that a band was formed dictates wat era they should be considered as? Jackson produced excellent music through the 80s and beyond but because he went solo, he cant be counted as one of the greatest artists of he 80s?

That notion is broken.

Same applies to Prince, Queen and anyone else you can think of, unless their career actually went mia in the 80s

The point is that a lot of the good music from the 80s was being made by bands who were already established. Most music from that decade was poor and to make matters worse, those who were keeping the flame alive were not even from that era.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Zedie » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:41 pm

Jessie J
That internet bint that sang 'Its Friday, Friday..."
McFly and every bland samey generic equivalent boy/girl band that has been and will be pushed onto the mass media
Any artist using autotune
Master P
Eurovision
Cheryl Cole
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:44 pm

Zedie if you cant see the importance of songwriting to determine if an artist is great or not, i cant really say anything to you. Go down the West End of London every night of the week and you will see about a dozen Whitney Houstons all performing in musicals, all as good as her, with their understudies waiting in the wings, not even getting a gig, also as good as her. Are they all legends?

No theyre not. And Just because Whitney Houston lucked out by being given the right songs to sing, doesnt make her one either.

UFGN

Postby VCC » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:08 pm

UFGN wrote:
Zedie wrote:

That notion is broken.

The point is that a lot of the good music from the 80s was being made by bands who were already established. Most music from that decade was poor and to make matters worse, those who were keeping the flame alive were not even from that era.

Agree 100%
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:13 am

UFGN wrote:Zedie if you cant see the importance of songwriting to determine if an artist is great or not, i cant really say anything to you. Go down the West End of London every night of the week and you will see about a dozen Whitney Houstons all performing in musicals, all as good as her, with their understudies waiting in the wings, not even getting a gig, also as good as her. Are they all legends?

No theyre not. And Just because Whitney Houston lucked out by being given the right songs to sing, doesnt make her one either.

I agree with some of that and disagree with the rest.
I always prefer to listen to artists who've written their own songs but if you completely discount anyone who hasn't written their own songs you'll get rid of a lot of good stuff e.g. Chakakhan, most of Motown, a lot of 60's hits, most of Michael Jackson etc. etc.

And the West End is full of good singers who've been taught to sing at RADA and LAMDA etc. but they're not in the same league as Whitney.
She had incredible range and unbelievable control, and that's coming from someone who hated her music.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby CynicalGooner » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:29 am

Cascada

All the t**t fake rappers and RnB dickheads who's whole songs are autotune, makes me cringe. Autotune should be banned, use on any level should be instant ticket to hell

Kaiser Chiefs

Jonas Brothers, that little pleb who's name escapes me, Miley Cyrus and all them american kids

Katy Perry. Top marks for getting to the top with no talent whatsoever

Nickleback (I like 1 song and all the rest sound exactly the same as each other)

Scouting for Girls and all the other shitty indie bands who sing about rubbish. include McFly, The Wombats here

Fallout Boy, Panic at the disco, Bullet For My Valentine, Avenged Sevenfold and all the other wrist slitting emo bands that suck your life away through your ears

thats all I got for now. Cascada by far the worst somebody kill that woman
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:39 am

I agree that Whitney was a world class singer but she wasnt that much better than about 20 female singers ive seen live who could match most of her range and all of her power.

And if you look at Artists who have sung other peoples material, the question is, have they made their contribution to writing some new music? Whitney Houston wrote none of her hits, as far as I know.

UFGN

Postby Swan » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:45 am

CynicalGooner wrote:Cascada

All the t**t fake rappers and RnB dickheads who's whole songs are autotune, makes me cringe. Autotune should be banned, use on any level should be instant ticket to hell

Kaiser Chiefs

Jonas Brothers, that little pleb who's name escapes me, Miley Cyrus and all them american kids

Katy Perry. Top marks for getting to the top with no talent whatsoever

Nickleback (I like 1 song and all the rest sound exactly the same as each other)

Scouting for Girls and all the other shitty indie bands who sing about rubbish. include McFly, The Wombats here

Fallout Boy, Panic at the disco, Bullet For My Valentine, Avenged Sevenfold and all the other wrist slitting emo bands that suck your life away through your ears

thats all I got for now. Cascada by far the worst somebody kill that woman

i've heard her radio stations play 2 of their songs at the same time and they were the same tempo/measures/ and sounded the same key cause they didn't sound out of tune and changes at the same time.. even though they are canadian i hate them and don't understand how they are so big, i here better music on the street corner
Swan
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby CynicalGooner » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:49 am

To be honest UFGN, I don't think not writing her own stuff is that big of a problem. it does degrade her stardom somewhat, but not her talent. And the song writers alway get the lions share of the money anyway. People with fantastic voices should be heard I say, far better than listening to the talentless muck we are subjected to most of the time. A good case in point is that Alfie Boe guy, who was the best lead by far from Les Mis. He made an album with a lot of songs from musicals on it, none of which he wrote obviously, but no problem because he has a fantastic voice
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to Music