Goonersworld Talk Show

Join gzagee and guests in the weekly Gooner Ramble podcast.

Re: Goonersworld Talk Show

Postby Ellimist » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:18 am

I think Audacity does not ship LAME (open-source MP3 encoder) with it, so you might need to download it and enable it. It's as simple as downloading it, extracting/installing it and then specifying the path to it in the settings of Audacity. Instructions are here.

I'm also in the favour of offering the podcast in both high-quality MP3 (~320 kbps) and medium-quality AAC (~128-192 kbps). AAC will be helpful for the people on slower connections, and arguably offers better sound quality than MP3 at the same bitrate. I think the Mac people also prefer AAC than MP3 because iTunes rips tracks into it by default? AAC also allows tracks to be split into segments/chapters for better visualisation when seeking. See here and here. Anyway it's just a matter of exporting the finished file twice using two different formats. The file format is a minor point and onus should be primarily given to planning, recording and producing the podcast.

Also, as Zenith said, stereo mix needs to be enabled for most of the computers if you haven't used it before. Here is a guide to help.
Bitcoin - 1Lu7GztP9YyJdt9Zt3hEaXjcAkgQZNuVLC
Ellimist
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby gzagee » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:21 am

Cheers Ell & Zen. Will try and enable tomorrow. One more thing, do I need a mic? I don't have a mic.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby gzagee » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:23 am

Callum wrote:By the way, we need a jingle. The Tuesday Club has a song with the "that sums it all up" commentary at the end. Perhaps we could do something similar?

C'mon Cal there's only one choon we should use for the jingle..

Chooooooonage! :lol:

That's my vote
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Ellimist » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:58 am

gzagee wrote:Cheers Ell & Zen. Will try and enable tomorrow. One more thing, do I need a mic? I don't have a mic.

You do need a mic if you want to talk. If you just want to record and produce, it's fine. Mics are very cheap BTW. Even the headset they provide with the cell phones are probably sufficient, although you might want to check it's clarity before using it for the show.

Also, most laptops have built-in mics, so if you have a laptop, you probably have a microphone already.
Ellimist
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby lexalove » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:20 am

ArsenalNo1Fan wrote:
lexalove wrote:If you need a host I would be up for it. I did some radio presenting in my spare time years ago so I'm sure I could help put a show together with the other guys.

I'm sure I could remain neutral for an hour or so lol

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 4

i'm guessing you believe yourself to be important. I said i want to do it, i was not joking

I think it is YOU who are full of your own self importance. If you want to do it I won't get in the way of your EGO so go for it. I await the first ''Church of Wenger'' podcast with anticipation :dizzy:

ArsenalNo1Fan wrote:i bet i'm far better looking than you mate if you're so confident show yourself

And this is the mature attitude that you will bring to the podcast... good luck with that!!! :rofll:
Let's Make Arsenal Great Again!

#CrookedKroenkeOut - #LyingGazidisOut - #CrazyWengerOut
lexalove
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby ArsenalNo1Fan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:22 am

lexalove wrote:
ArsenalNo1Fan wrote:
lexalove wrote:If you need a host I would be up for it. I did some radio presenting in my spare time years ago so I'm sure I could help put a show together with the other guys.

I'm sure I could remain neutral for an hour or so lol

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 4

i'm guessing you believe yourself to be important. I said i want to do it, i was not joking

I think it is YOU who are full of your own self importance. If you want to do it I won't get in the way of your EGO so go for it. I await the first ''Church of Wenger'' podcast with anticipation :dizzy:

ArsenalNo1Fan wrote:i bet i'm far better looking than you mate if you're so confident show yourself

And this is the mature attitude that you will bring to the podcast... good luck with that!!! :rofll:

calm down that's nothing to do with you, focus on yourself darling
:naughty:
ArsenalNo1Fan

Postby Callum » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:42 am

gzagee wrote:
Callum wrote:By the way, we need a jingle. The Tuesday Club has a song with the "that sums it all up" commentary at the end. Perhaps we could do something similar?

C'mon Cal there's only one choon we should use for the jingle..

Chooooooonage! :lol:

That's my vote

Good shout. ;)
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:51 am

Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Massa » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:34 am

You can't play it though, you all have to harmonise to it
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Trina » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:20 am

haha love that one Massa, its what used to be on my website, really catchy :P
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby gzagee » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:14 pm

Zenith wrote:
gzagee wrote:
Zenith wrote:I've worked with it many years ago to record stereo mix. It's not a very difficult program to work with, what you have to do is make sure to put your settings on 320 kpbs for the quality and stereo mix to record whatever comes through your speakers, in this case it's the podcast. After recording everything you'll have to render your file and that's it basically. If it turns out to be too complicated you can always try more basic sound recording software. I'm more familiar with Sony Sound Forge but the principle is exactly the same. Stereo Mix > 320kpbs > Record > Render

Downloaded it Zen, but don't know how to set the 320 kpb?

Record something, preferably stereo mix instead of microphone (=default usually) as that's what you'll be using for the podcast. To do this you will have to enable stereo mix first in windows or in your audio manager (in my case it's Realtek).

Once you've done that click on 'save' > custom > bit rate: 320/Kbps, 48 Hz. Also make sure the quality bar is set on 'highest quality'.

Your settings should look like this:

I can't seem to get the image you're getting. Don't know where to find the bit rate section or the custom settings.
Unfortunately I don't have the Prnt Scrn button (well I do, it's just that its also the F11 button) on my laptop to take a screenshot of my page.
Somehow though I managed to record my voice in amongst background noise.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Ellimist » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:46 pm

Enable stereo mix using this guide I linked before.

Download the lame library from here. Save it to a place where it won't be deleted. Also download the FFMPEG binary from here and extract it to somewhere safe.

In Audacity, go to Edit-> Preferences and select Libraries from the left pane. Click on locate beside MP3 library and FFMPEG library and browse to the folder where you saved them and select lame_enc.dll and avformat-52.dll respectively. The window should show their versions if you did it correctly. Click on Okay.

audacity2.png

Select stereo mix for recording (check the screengrab below). Click on the Red circular button to start recording, and the yellow button to stop recording. Record, edit and do whatever you need to do. Save the unfinished project using File-> Save Project As.. and open the saved .AUP file when you need to work on it again.

audacity.png

When you have finished all editing, and the project is ready to be exported, click on File->Export. Select MP3 files in the Save as type: field, and then click on Options.., under Cancel. You'll get this -

audacity3.png

Set the options as you see in the screenshot. Click on OK, type a name and Save.

For exporting to AAC, select "M4A (AAC) Files (FFmpeg)" instead of MP3. No need to change the Options, just save directly. The default quality of 100 (~128 kbps) should suffice.

To test, play an audio track, start recording and speak. If you correctly used stereo mix, both your voice and the playing audio will be recorded.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ellimist
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Zenith » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:03 pm

If you recorded your own voice in amongst the background noise as you mentioned, it means you're recording your microphone instead of stereo mix. Stereo mix means you'll record whatever comes through your speakers, in this case it's the voices of the other participants in the podcast.
Follow the guid Ellimist gave you and you should be good to go. Also his explanation is much more advanced than mine and Audacity is - as well - a very good program to work with. Just make sure you you have stereo mix enabled first, then for example play a song and start recording, export your file and check out the end result. Good luck!
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby gzagee » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:10 pm

By 'eck I think I've got it!!!

Just exported it and played it back using windows player. How do you sync it up with others though?
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Zenith » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:16 pm

You mean with the other voices? ..or?
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

PreviousNext

Return to GoonersWorld Podcast: The Gooner Ramble